Forum Suggestions/Improvements?

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
First off, this doesn't have anything to do with post counts, so those of you that were against having them removed, heh, calm that inner fire of hatred. ;)

Anyway, it's always nice to see a little bit of change on the forums. I've started to think of ways this place could look cooler, but wanted to know if others felt the same way.

Some ideas of mine include:

• Different skins for the forum layout (instead of the default grey and black in General, dark red and red in Diablo, light green and green in WarCraft, and dark blue and blue in StarCraft)
  • A small box to include your current mood or song... kind of what they have on livejournal.com
  • Expanded emoticons

I'll probably think of the rest as I'm getting ready to fall asleep in bed, but that's what I've been thinking of lately.

Suggestions anyone? Even if you think the forums are fine as they are now, post it and why!:)

---EDIT---

The forum colors thing would be customizable. You could switch between this default view, and whatever other settings could be made.

Maverick

To Punish and Enslave..
Reaction score
Website
www.friendster.com
As of now I don't have any suggestions yet. It's already perfect. I like the black background coz it soothes the eyes.

punk rock yam

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by coRtALoS

[*]Different skins for the forum layout (instead of the default grey and black in General, dark red and red in Diablo, light green and green in WarCraft, and dark blue and blue in StarCraft)
na crapy idea. yuck. barely anyone would use it!

[*]A small box to include your current mood or song... kind of what they have on livejournal.com
poifect idea dude, poifect. damn that sounds good.

also hunters idea of a chat room is really good but kinda hard to make possible ;[

SmashBros.Pro

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
I like the Diablo and SC forums layout, it's easy on the eyes, but the WarCraft section just makes me feel weird. I don't post in the WC section so my oppinion doesn't matter to that point.

A chat-room may be a good idea.

The mood thing is also a good idea, it would help to tell when the best time is to flame someone :D.

More emotions might be useful to others, but I only use about 3 of them so that wouldn't phase me either.

Something that would be useful to the moderators would be a trigger or something that automatically closes a thread that is over 10 days old. Personally I would love that.

Something else that would help, although not sure it its possible, an auto-correct type thing. It wouldn't have to correct the word automatically, but instead just underline it in red (like MS Word).

Maybe sound would be something that could be extra? You know, like on the main page it could play some type of BGM or something?

Thats about all the idea's I have for tonight. I had more, but I forgot them :(.

SmashBros.Pro

Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
Another idea I had was a poster of the week (or month) award. One for each category. It would be kind of hard to let people from the forums vote though, you would have to make it to where only 1 person from each IP address could vote.

Just another one of my useless suggestions though :p.

hunter_killer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Another suggesion of mine is to have an instant messengr sorta thing. It's gonna be more effecient than PM, because PM's take in form of an e-mail.

I did have the idea of pre-selected avatars (BlizzForums has those) Pics in the sig (also BlizzForums) But I think BlizzForums suck absolute ass, so don't go to BlizzFoums, it sucks ass ;)

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I already like the black and grey layout of the General Forums, I end up with a headache if I see too much white on screen, especially for the fact that I post more here than elsewhere!

The problem with the chatroom idea is that people will hardly post in these forums anymore, the reason being the fact that:
1. 'I already have a chatroom, why go elsewhere and waste time posting?' Too convenient for my liking. I already have ICQ and MSN.
2. You can edit your posts if you think that you may have offended the people you don't want to get on the bad side of. (I'm sure this has happened to many of you!)
3. We all live in a different time zone. The main advantage of using forums is that you can post whenever you want to and your buddies from across the world can still communicate with you.

2 things I'd like to have here though: the current mood indicator and the expanded smilies. :D

I already like the PM. Sure, it may be in email form, but's good if you want to dish private messages to someone who's offline.

That's it for now, I'll see if there's anything else to come up with.

- Amantis

OniSyphon

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
First off, this doesn't have anything to do with post counts, so those of you that were against having them removed, heh, calm that inner fire of hatred. ;)

Anyway, it's always nice to see a little bit of change on the forums. I've started to think of ways this place could look cooler, but wanted to know if others felt the same way.

Some ideas of mine include:

• Different skins for the forum layout (instead of the default grey and black in General, dark red and red in Diablo, light green and green in WarCraft, and dark blue and blue in StarCraft)
  • A small box to include your current mood or song... kind of what they have on livejournal.com
  • Expanded emoticons

I'll probably think of the rest as I'm getting ready to fall asleep in bed, but that's what I've been thinking of lately.

Suggestions anyone? Even if you think the forums are fine as they are now, post it and why!:)

---EDIT---

The forum colors thing would be customizable. You could switch between this default view, and whatever other settings could be made.
1. Sure
2. Why the hell not?
3. Bout time...;)

I have a whole list of emoticons you can use...but some are from different websites...I guess I could remake them differently so there is no chance for copy right infringement or whatever.:)

Maverick

To Punish and Enslave..
Reaction score
Website
www.friendster.com
How about add more smilies?

Kaldaris

Reaction score
Website
www.sundren.org
Chat Room Idea - Spammers will spam in chat room instead, BIG WHOOP, however, Include something like the IM control to moderate the spammers (That'll give im the run for thier money)

daoffshoreman

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
the emoticons should have a wider expression of emotions, like suspicois or falling asleep. i think it would be best to have an option for what color u want for the background. unless that takes up too much on the servers....btw, great idea, kaldaris

OniSyphon

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by daoffshoreman
the emoticons should have a wider expression of emotions, like suspicois or falling asleep. i think it would be best to have an option for what color u want for the background. unless that takes up too much on the servers....btw, great idea, kaldaris
Yeah because I want to have the same bg color as text just to piss people off and make them have to highlight what I wroe to read it :D

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
If someone hasn't already said it (yes, i didnt read the whole thread), as said before in the 'hide post counts' thread, i really do think we should add a rating system.
And the 'raters' would be fair, but experienced forum members, like me:)
And because of my inability to become a moderator (not enough time on my hands) would there be any chance of becoming a rater?
As Crookedfoot said, we could have people rated out of 5? Or words instead of numbers.
Like - Spammer
- Flamer
- Friendly
- Talkative
- Helpful
- Etc etc