Def & Off strat help

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
I have just started to play ww3, and I am still doing the campains to get a feel for the races. I am having a bit of trouble amassing a killer undead army, as well as a reasonable defence. I seem to be a bit slow at creating a army quick without getting picked off by computer opponents. By the time I have a good amount of gold to create mass units, I'm already getting attacked. The only thing that saves me, is going to another goldmine asap. I am dependant on zigerats too much, as well as ogers for town defence. Can I get some good strats for def and army building? Actually any advice on undead would help. Thanks in advance.

LuNa[eP]

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.replays.net
hmmm
you said "when I had enough money to start massing units"
you should never have a great unused amount of money. don't try to straight tech to higher units, like frosties or abominations. try a combination of ghouls and fiends, picking a second hero and statues when u get to tier 2. a spirit tower and a nerubian tower should be enough to fend of most of the rushes too.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Campaign and melee games are much different, Campaign is more like "Role playing" maps to me, but with armies and such.

Play Melee games.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
Thank you both for replying, but I'm still getting familiar with the units and what they an do. I will do some melee when I am comfortable in what characters do what.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
XxSworn_EnemyxX said:
Thank you both for replying, but I'm still getting familiar with the units and what they an do. I will do some melee when I am comfortable in what characters do what.
try random first, or try all races, and just pick one that you like the best =) you might want to use some cheat codes to try out all units and what their skills might do, or go to

www.battle.net/war3 for more info about the game and the units.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
Nah I don't like cheat codes, once I get them I can't play without em. I rather not know at all. I have played a bit of each race. I find so far Undead and Night Elves to be my favorite. I am relativly good with Humans, orcs, but NE I am best at. I am trying to get a good foundation for each character, so I know what to do against each. So Undead are my weakest, and this is why I am needing the help. Thanks for suggestings.

I have finished playing threw the campains, and presently doing the melee games to better my gaming exp.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
I meant use cheat codes to try out all units and heros :p

if you like NE, welcome to the club, if you like UD, out of mysight :)

just go with one race and go on bnet, play with players, and see if you need to change, race etc.

LuNa[eP]

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.replays.net
Completely offtopic this, but... NtRiK_,
wtf that bruce lee yelling ROFLMAO? AUEGayegyAE
that thread is making you all sick :p

back to topic, try playing on bnet to learn how to play. Computer may be hard to beat in the start, but he's dumb, doesn't fast tech, doesn't do anything different, chooses his hero randomly and always uses the same combos... the computer never fails, but he doen't have imagination and creativity either. . . insane computers are good to train micro, only.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
Ok, whats with the slang term "Micro"? What exactly does that imply.

Yeah, NE are so damn overpowering IMHO. Normally what I do with them is Demon Hunter, a dozen archers, and some air power as one team, then follow that up with another group of archers and those riders (the paladin equal .. forgot the name sorry) That pretty much destroys anything. What is a good strat for NE then, in regards to army grouping.
Amped skilled archers in mass is dangerous, but what is good for def of towns? Is their a particular building placement that is best for defending the town? I tend to build the wells as far away from an enterence as possible. I also make 4-6 of those green attacking bulding things to guard the doorway to my town. Is this wrong, what else can I do?

Reaction score
micro is short for micromanagement dealing with how you use your army. basically, it's just using your units, good micro is keeping your units alive, bad micro is letting them die. there's a lot of guides out there so just look at them

Zerglite

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
"best defense is a strong offense"

harrassment will help keep them from massivly raping you early... just rush and send 2 ghouls.. then more and more, you'll either
1 destroy them
2 hurt them, and slow them down
3 get destroyed anyway

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
imho, thats not the best you could possibly have,

meh i guess ill just verbally draw my base

Basically, I make a moonwell in front of Tree of Life, where your best fighting areas would be in that pic, then I sort of make diagonal walls of moonwells, then in the end of the wall (about 5 ~ 4 moon wells), I put AoW on each side, and behind moonwels some protectors. and then I put two Ancient of Lores, spaced out, in front of moon wells, and some more moon wells around the base, where your heros can easily get heal. AoWonder goes in side the base, as well as AoWind and Chimera roost, I almost never make AoWind or Chimera roots so.

LuNa[eP]

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.replays.net
NtRik_ said:
imho, thats not the best you could possibly have,

meh i guess ill just verbally draw my base

Basically, I make a moonwell in front of Tree of Life, where your best fighting areas would be in that pic, then I sort of make diagonal walls of moonwells, then in the end of the wall (about 5 ~ 4 moon wells), I put AoW on each side, and behind moonwels some protectors. and then I put two Ancient of Lores, spaced out, in front of moon wells, and some more moon wells around the base, where your heros can easily get heal. AoWonder goes in side the base, as well as AoWind and Chimera roost, I almost never make AoWind or Chimera roots so.
moonwell lines just die to shockwave ^^
still that's not the BEST base configuration, just a tip for our fellow :usad

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
LuNa[eP] said:
moonwell lines just die to shockwave ^^
still that's not the BEST base configuration, just a tip for our fellow :usad
yea, shock wave, but you have to know 100% of the orcs that plays against me is either forced to make air or raiders, and stick with Farseer/BM + SH, because of harass

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
So basically, in lamens terms moon wells are to suround the main area within your town to constantly heal all your fighters, and some at the main structures to heal them too? Am I correct in this assumption? Is it wise to get a good mass of archers and riders, or is this a bad idea? They seem to work well for me in a grouping with a hero.

LuNa[eP]

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.replays.net
XxSworn_EnemyxX said:
So basically, in lamens terms moon wells are to suround the main area within your town to constantly heal all your fighters, and some at the main structures to heal them too? Am I correct in this assumption? Is it wise to get a good mass of archers and riders, or is this a bad idea? They seem to work well for me in a grouping with a hero.
going hipporiders is way too risky. if your enemy know your getting those, u're dead, they are completely easily countered! but if you get them offguard... gg them most of the times...

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is what I do, never get archers unless your enemy has some air.