Damn Map Stealers!!!

S

Shapeshifter

Ah, so you guys make maps to get credit for them, huh? Seems so. Well guess what. People steal maps to get credit for them. You're in the same business. You're no better than them in moral.

Think about that.

Maps shouldn't be made just to entertain people either. Realize this.… We humans do things that make us feel better. Generous people give because that makes them feel good. We eat because it makes us feel good. It all goes along a parallel path.

We make maps because 1. we enjoy making them and 2. we want to see if other people like them. If those are your motives, all the more power to you. If you do it because you want to gloat, you won't make it anywhere.

So if you don't enjoy making maps, just stop now. If you do, it doesn't matter who gets credit for it. You enjoyed making it.

Don't take me wrong. I do understand that getting credit makes us feel better as well, but if that is your sole motive … I just cannot respect that.

Crazy Demon

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Revelade
I agree, map protection is just dumb. I mean if the point is to entertain people, why release it in the first place? If you don't protect it, it only adds to its popularity... Yeah you do hard work, but it's for ENTERTAINING people, if it was for money I would agree, but if it's free well... it's free! The only reason I would protect maps is because it compresses the map size so it's faster to download... And if your thinking about the people who steal maps... do you really think you will be famous? So what if a handful of people know you made a map, do you really think after a week they will play it? Move on people... You have to realize 99% of bnet AREN'T total ****heads... maybe most, but some people aren't.
When I first read this I was shocked. Than I reread it. And I couldn't stop laughing.
I agree, map protection is dumb
I can see why you might argue that, because if you're a newbie map maker, its alot easier 2 just look at the triggers and say, "oooooohhhhh. So thats how you do that! I'm going to make in my new map!". I use to do that myself:). Unfortuanetly, most of the time SCUnprotect is abused. Most people just unprotect maps and than take all the credit. Since this has been brought up before, lets take Tuxedos "Kill Me" Map. This map is one of the most complex and funniest maps sever. Some noob than comes along, and says, "Hey. Thats an awesome map. I want to see the triggers." They find out that they can't open it cause it is protected. So they use SCUnprotect to open it. They tahn open it and look at the triggers. There are so many(I'm betting this,I've never looked at it myself)triggers, that this person can not understand it. Usually, right than is where everythign goes wrong.
If a person can not understand something, and they want to make there own map that is as popular and awesome as this 'something', they will do something totally horrible. They will takethe credit of the thing. So this noob than goes in and changes all of the "By Tuxedo Templar" to "By XXXX". This taking of credit is inhumane and actually could get you arested for it.
And if your thinking about the people who steal maps... do you really think you will be famous?
Yes, I do. If you go into USWEST, 55% of the time, people nkow the name Tuxedo Templar. If you go into ASIAN gateway, 78% of the time people know the name Slayers_'Boxer'. If you get the Korean channel, turn to it and you might see a Starcraft game being aired on LIVE TV to the WHOLE WORLD. I say thats being famous.
If you don't protect it, it only adds to its popularity...
Perhaps. But if it only adds to the popularity, more people will want that recognition and that popularity and will replace it with there name.
The only reason I would protect maps is because it compresses the map size so it's faster to download...
It does? Wow, you learn somethign new everday....
So what if a handful of people know you made a map, do you really think after a week they will play it? Move on people... You have to realize 99% of bnet AREN'T total ****heads... maybe most, but some people aren't.
So what if a handful of people know that Blizzard made Starcraft? Do you really think that they're going to play it after a week? I think so, since they made it in 1996, and people are still playing it. So what if a handful of people know that Tuxedo Templar created Trigger Happy Defense? Are they still going to play it after a week? Hell ya, its much different from any other defense map, plus I still play it.
Most of the time, the maps that are protected arn't know by a couple of people. I look up Starcraft TV on google, and I see a whole bunch of sites that show up.
I hope you understand my case that I am trying to present you...

Crazy Demon

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Shapeshifter
Ah, so you guys make maps to get credit for them, huh? Seems so. Well guess what. People steal maps to get credit for them. You're in the same business. You're no better than them in moral.

Think about that.

Maps shouldn't be made just to entertain people either. Realize this.… We humans do things that make us feel better. Generous people give because that makes them feel good. We eat because it makes us feel good. It all goes along a parallel path.

We make maps because 1. we enjoy making them and 2. we want to see if other people like them. If those are your motives, all the more power to you. If you do it because you want to gloat, you won't make it anywhere.

So if you don't enjoy making maps, just stop now. If you do, it doesn't matter who gets credit for it. You enjoyed making it.

Don't take me wrong. I do understand that getting credit makes us feel better as well, but if that is your sole motive … I just cannot respect that.
Sry for double posting, I had 2 much on my last post.
Anyway, I really want to focus on this quote:
You might be right, but theres one difference. They stole the maps to get credit for them. They did not work, or slave over it for days. All they did was in like 3 minutes, replace their name into it. Therefore, the creator is better than them morally. In moral, stealing is usually regarded as lower.

shadow_lancer

Reaction score

When I first read this I was shocked. Than I reread it. And I couldn't stop laughing.
I can see why you might argue that, because if you're a newbie map maker, its alot easier 2 just look at the triggers and say, "oooooohhhhh. So thats how you do that! I'm going to make in my new map!". I use to do that myself:). Unfortuanetly, most of the time SCUnprotect is abused. Most people just unprotect maps and than take all the credit. Since this has been brought up before, lets take Tuxedos "Kill Me" Map. This map is one of the most complex and funniest maps sever. Some noob than comes along, and says, "Hey. Thats an awesome map. I want to see the triggers." They find out that they can't open it cause it is protected. So they use SCUnprotect to open it. They tahn open it and look at the triggers. There are so many(I'm betting this,I've never looked at it myself)triggers, that this person can not understand it. Usually, right than is where everythign goes wrong.
If a person can not understand something, and they want to make there own map that is as popular and awesome as this 'something', they will do something totally horrible. They will takethe credit of the thing. So this noob than goes in and changes all of the "By Tuxedo Templar" to "By XXXX". This taking of credit is inhumane and actually could get you arested for it.
i partially agree
but as an avid RP player i think that those are the only types of maps that shouldnt be protected
what if i want to edit a map that has units that you make your own name for but i want to give them names of my own but the map maker is so closed minded he refuses to let people give them ACTUAL names they just go by (insert name here) and (H)ero i would like to be able to alter them
there are some rps that to i want to alter so that the units arent named the same way as the above
and only a retard would change the BY part
if i moded a map i would simply add "Altered By" right beneath "Created By" if there was no "Created By" i would simply add it with the original makers name

if i were to say alter a res evil map it would read
Created By: Panzer_Kavalier
Altered/Modded/SinglePlayered/Rigged By: OBELISK[WP]
there are actually a couple of resident evil maps i want to change something about
i want to get rid of the trigger that FORCES you to play multiplayer maybe i want to play alone on singleplayer so i dont have noobs constantly taking the units and leaving them to die

L

Laharl

I used to leave my maps unprotected because if people wanted to steal them and end up distributing them further, go right ahead.

Redtempz

Reaction score
The Problem Sometime with protecting it is someone might now have a advance map editor
and open it with reg. map editor and ruin something but the advanrage is for people to look at triggers and learn something ;)