Best place to go level up?

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place in your opinion to level a character up?

I was thinking like bloody runs.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
depnds all on what lvl you are, I think their is a sticky on what areas are good to lvl up at what lvl, but, I'm not sure. I'll add it here, if I find.

EDIT: Ok either their is none made, or I'm an idiot and can't find it. So, I will give a rundown on what lvl and where to lvl up at.

NORM:
1-15 Tristram Runs
15-20 Tomb Runs
20-24 Cow Runs
24 Ancients
25-50 Baal Runs (If you feel capable of going to Nightmare before 50 do so)

Nightmare:
50 Ancients
51-75 Baal Runs

Hell:
75 Ancients
75-99 Baal Runs

Simple, easy, done.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
What I do:

1-10: Tristram Runs.
10-15: kill wherever, most likely in Catacombs.
15-20: Arcane/Tomb Runs.
20-24: Normal Cow runs.
25-39: Ancients, then Baal runs.
40-60 or 70: Nightmare Ancients, then Nightmare Baal.
After that, it's basically Hell Baal Runs for experience.

Again, this may not be the best way but it's what I do.

Trojan

Respected Member
Reaction score
same as dms except i lvl til 15 in trist and then after 70 i do hell baal til 75 and then bot with the char to lvl it up if its a decent bottin char. if not i baal run to lvl up

_CM

Respected Member
Reaction score
you should stay in act 1 normal until level 12 for best experience
you should stay in act 2 normal until level 19 for best experience
you should stay in act 3 normal until level 24 for best experience
you should stay in act 4 normal until level 32 for best experience
you should stay in act 5 normal until level 37 for best experience
you should stay in act 1 nightmare until level 44 for best experience
you should stay in act 2 nightmare until level 49 for best experience
you should stay in act 3 nightmare until level 53 for best experience
you should stay in act 4 nightmare until level 63 for best experience
you should stay in act 5 nightmare until level 63 for best experience
you should stay in act 1 hell until level 74 for best experience (even tho its useless)
you should stay in act 2 hell until level 81 for best experience
you should stay in act 3 hell until level 83 for best experience
you should stay in act 4 hell until level 94 for best experience
you should stay in act 5 hell until level 99 for best experience

don't tell me that I'm a ****ing idot: Those are only the spots where monsters are in your level range and you get most experience in percent. of course, monsters from act 1 hell give you less exp than monsters from act 5 nightmare, because they simply give less experience per monster. But if you really want to make sure that you're in the ideal level zone, especially in the 1-20 and the 90-99 range, you should stick to this list.

DM's list is ok aswell ;)

~edit: i felt like adding a small example ;)

you're lvl 90

comparing act 4 hell to act 5 hell

act 4: you get 76 % of the experience that a monster has when you kill it
example monster: venom lord (64786 experience) --> 76% of 64786 = 49237 experience

act 5: you get only 52% of the experience a monster has when you kill it
example monster: venom lord (64786 experience) --> 52% of 64786 = 33688 experience

it does make a difference. the only thing that you have to consider is that some of the monsters that appear in act 4 AND act 5, will be counted as guest monsters in act 5, which will automatically result in a higher amount of experience. But nevertheless, there is a slight difference.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
I only do cows for lvling from 20 - 24 so I can do the ancient quest, besides that cows are pretty much useless. Actually, let me correct myself. Cows is a good area to get low lvl gear for new characters

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
1~7 do whatever you want
7~13 trist run
13~20 finish until act 5, just go to canyon
20~25 cow then ancient
25~42 norm baal then nm, ancient
43~75 nm baal then hell ancient
76~ do w/e you want

havefun.

OneEliteMof0

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
CoolMission:
You were talking about how you get more exp in A4 at a certin level, than in A5. But wouldnt that guide only be specifically usefull if each run takes the same time? Because baal runs go very fast. Also, They have huge groups of people doing them. Not many people do Diablo runs, or whatever run you would be doing in A4. Even though A5 would give 20% somthing less exp, wouldn't be able to do baal runs 20% faster +?

But as a standard mathmatical approach, I understand what you mean perfectly.

I just wanted to throw that out there. Mabie I am wrong. If so, i'm sorry.

FF-Max

Reaction score
lvl 1 beg or pay forge for rush to act 5
lvl 1-15 watch high level char kill stuff in tristram
lvl 15-20 follow high level char around tombs
lvl 20-21 beg for ancients
lvl 21-25 follow high level char around secret cow level (keep ur eyes open for good
drops and stay close so u can snarf them up)
lvl 26-45 hide in corner of throne of destruction while high levels kill waves of minions
(be sure to spam PP and TP while said high level is teleporting to throne)
lvl 45-46 beg someone to kill baal, then beg or pay forge for rush to nm
baal (including killing nm ancients)
lvl 46-73 hide in corner of throne of destruction while high levels kill waves of minions
lvl 73-74 beg someone to kill baal, then beg or pay forge for rush to hell
baal (including killing hell ancients)
lvl 74-90 hide in corner of throne of destruction while high levels kill waves of minions
(perferably in a game with a hammerdin baalbot)
lvl 80-90 Look up cookie cutter pk build, spend ur stat/skill points,
buy uber gear on EBAY, and find a NM duel game to show off what a badass
pimpin gamester u are.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Lol, mr.FF-Max. I wish there was a way to sticky a single post:D

Trojan

Respected Member
Reaction score
FF-Max said:
lvl 21-25 follow high level char around secret cow level (keep ur eyes open for good
lvl 26-45 hide in corner of throne of destruction while high levels kill waves of minions
lvl 46-73 hide in corner of throne of destruction while high levels kill waves of minions
lvl 74-90 hide in corner of throne of destruction while high levels kill waves of minions
pimpin gamester u are.

simply ownage guide :)

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
FF-Max said:
pimpin gamester u are.

OMFG! Freakin funny as hell!!!!!!!! Welcome to Battleforums. Nice enterence.

showbe

Reaction score
XxSworn_EnemyxX said:
depnds all on what lvl you are, I think their is a sticky on what areas are good to lvl up at what lvl, but, I'm not sure. I'll add it here, if I find.

EDIT: Ok either their is none made, or I'm an idiot and can't find it. So, I will give a rundown on what lvl and where to lvl up at.

NORM:
1-15 Tristram Runs
15-20 Tomb Runs
20-24 Cow Runs
24 Ancients
25-50 Baal Runs (If you feel capable of going to Nightmare before 50 do so)

Nightmare:
50 Ancients
51-75 Baal Runs

Hell:
75 Ancients
75-99 Baal Runs

Simple, easy, done.
i find it better to go to hell at 40 and 60 and get a rush using hellforges and then baaling till you are 70-80 when you can wear most of your gear once you do that go join baal games with 8 players and do pit runs till your 90. i get around 10 mill experience in every pit run at lvl 87 and mf at the same time, just make sure u leave n follow the next game it only takes about 3-4 minutes for me to clear it with my nova necro then when your 90 go down baal runs

Mist

Member!
Reaction score
--> wow, alright sorry to call everyone in a thread wrong again but.. I mean those certainly are good ways.. but not the best, the absolute most fresh way to milk and exploit XP out of diablo 2. I've done more than one race to level 80 with friends, so I have some experience I guess.

I'll assume you don't have any friends on battle.net whatsoever, and that you only have one CD-key, and that it's your first character on your first account.

Your quest to level 99 (but youll only ever get 98) the long but independent (don't need friends or anything else) way

Level 1 : find and join a trist run. NEVER join a trist run whose number is 0 or 1, has a level 40+ running it, has been open for more than four minutes, or has 0 players in it. It is most probable that the person creating the runs will stop once they reach level 15 or 16, which may be very few games after you join the runs, or may be plenty of games later. When this happens, make NG yourself. If the run fills with leechers, look for a different string of games. Do this until you hit level 15.

·::: Level 15 : find a game whose title implies that the creator of the game will rush you, either for free, or for your forge. Don't make a game and expect someone high enough to rush you to see it. This rush is all the way to Diablo (ends there). DO NOT SCAM YOUR RUSHER.

Level 15 : find and join a tomb run. NEVER join a tomb run which has no level 50+ killer or has 0 players in it. Again, this killer will probably stop when their leecher is level 20. If this happens, instead of making ng yourself, find a new tomb run. Do this until you reach level 20.

Level 20 : find and join a cow run. This can be hard. Again, don't join cow runs whose number is 0 or 1, has 0 players in it, and DEFINITELY not one that's been open for 6 minutes+. It's extremely unlikely that there will be no killer in the game, but also stay away from games with no 60+ killer. The problem with them stopping persists, they'll stop when their leecher is 24. Just persevere and keep looking. Do this until you hit level 24.

·::: Level 24 : find or create a game to help with ancients, such as "Kill Ancients" or "Help w Ancients," etc. it's more likely to get ancients done this way than to try to find an ancients rush. Tag along while the higher levels complete the ancients quest. Completing this quest earns you one level.

Level 25 : find and join a Baal run. This is easy as hell, make sure the run is being done by a bot, otherwise they'll probably bail after a few games. Again, don't join one with the number 0 or 1, or one thats got 0 players or has been open more than about 6 minutes. If the first few runs are empty, don't worry, people will come. Hide in a corner during each run and you should hit level 32 in no time.

·::: Level 32 : find or create a game to help with baal, such as "Kill Baal" or "Help w Baal," etc. it's more likely to get baal done this way than to try to find an baal rush. Tag along while the higher levels complete the baal quest. Completing this quest takes you into Nightmare difficulty.

Level 32 : find and join a cow run. Again, don't join cow runs whose number is 0 or 1, has 0 players in it, and DEFINITELY not one that's been open for 6 minutes+. It's extremely unlikely that there will be no killer in the game, but also stay away from games with no 70+ killer. They'll stop when their leecher is 44. Just persevere and keep looking. Do this until you hit level 44.
--> Most people disagree with me about this step. I demand that you TRY IT FIRST before you say ANYTHING about it. Almost everyone who disagrees with me, didn't try this first, they just assumes that common misconception was correct. As long as you have a really good lit fury zon doing the runs or a godly orb sorc, someone who can mow down fast, levelling 32-44 is FASTER in nightmare cows than in normal Baal.

·::: Level 44 : follow the previous procedure to recieve a Rush, this time you have the convenience of getting a full rush (up to and through Ancients) all at once. The ancients quest will level you to 45.

Level 45 : follow the previous procedure to find and join Baal games. Again, stay in the corner, and level from these runs until you are level 59.

·::: Level 64 : follow the previous procedure to kill Baal and get the quest completed to move on to Hell difficulty.

·::: Level 64 : Create or find a game to get rushed for your forge. DO NOT!! SCAM your RUSHER! DO NOT SCAM YOUR RUSHER! DO NOT SCAM YOUR RUSHER! This rush is up through ancients, which will level you to 65. You can also have the rusher finish the Baal quest for you (optional).

Level 65 : follow the previous procedure and find Baal runs again. Leech in these Baal runs until you have met the Level Requirement for all of your items (level 80 in most cases, for Arachnid's Mesh, level 90 in some, for skill amulets / small charms). If you have no items whatsoever, you stop at level 80, take a break from levelling, and go out and get items good enough that you'll be able to create and complete a Baal run with eight people in game by yourself. This guide doesn't cover how to get items.

·::: Level 80 : Wear all of your items. Apply all skill and attribute points. Go back through each difficulty and complete the Den of Evil quest, Lam Esen's Tome quest, Jade Figurine quest, Radament quest, Izual quest, Save Anya quest, Shenk the Overseer quest, and Nihlathak quest (DON'T GET THE HALLS WAYPOINT.). You can also complete any other quests you wish to complete, but no other quests improve your character. These quests will award you +30% to all resistances, +60 to life, +12 skills, +15 stat points, a chance to socket and personalize 3 items, and an open portal to Pindleskin's lair. Give your mercenary items as well.

If you are a legit player, the guide ends here. Continue leeching off of baal runs or creating them until you have reached level 98.

·::: Level 80 : if your mercenary is too low level to use the items you've given him, create and complete Nightmare Cow runs until his level reaches yours. You can alternatively do this in Hell Cow runs, however they are much harder to complete, take longer to complete, and don't give enough experience for the difference in time and difficulty to pay off unless you have a team of 3-4 other high level lit-fury zons helping you out.

Level 80 : Now set up your Baal Bot and run it before you go to sleep. If you are a proficient killer and are leniant with chicken settings, you should be level 90 in a few nights. You've now reached the level where you're basically good enough to do anything, and there isn't any true purpose to increase your level past here.

Level 90 : However if you want to continue to increase your level past 90, I suggest you set up your bot to do Chaos runs, as the experience is still very good, but there is a far greater chance of getting runes and items. Since these will be far more important than your level at this point, this is the best way to go. If you don't care about items at all, continue to bot Baal until you reach level 98.

Level 98 : you've gotten as high as you're going to get. Enjoy it! You made it on the ladder, too!

Now here's MY way.. the fastest and DEFINITELY easiest possible way to reach level 99. (yes, you will reach level 99 with this method. You won't with the former method)

Your quest to level 99 the short but dependent way (1337 4L3R7)

·::: Level 1 : Have your friends grush you all the way up through Hell Diablo. Make sure they also complete the Den of Evil quest, Lam Esen's Tome quest, Jade Figurine quest, Radament quest, Izual quest, Save Anya quest, Shenk the Overseer quest, and Nihlathak quest (DON'T GET THE HALLS WAYPOINT.). You can also complete any other quests you wish to complete, but no other quests improve your character. These quests will award you +30% to all resistances, +60 to life, +12 skills, +15 stat points, a chance to socket and personalize 3 items, and an open portal to Pindleskin's lair.

Level 1 : find and join Chaos runs (yes, in HELL, yes you are level 1, but just trust me) and leech from them until you are level 60. If you are joining strangers' runs, this can take between three to eight hours. If your friends kill for you and keep running until you're 60, it should take between two to four hours.

Level 60 : find and join cow games to level 64 (better yet of course, would be to have friends cow you).

·::: Level 64 : have your friends kill Ancients and Baal for you in hell. You're now level 65.
You may now follow the first guide's instructions from level 65 onward, with the following things to consider:

You can never enter the Worldstone keep in Normal or Nightmare.
You can never complete the ancients quests or have them be inadvertently completed for you.
Stop botting at level 97. Because you've exploited a loophole and had PATIENCE, level 97 for you = level 99. :) Go back and complete normal and nightmare ancients to immediately gain two free levels. This is the ONLY way to feasibly reach level 99 in one lifetime, and all of your level 97 and 98 friends will hate you :)

While this method CAN be done by begging for rushes and making "baal for quest" games, it is MUCH slower. If you have no friends, method#1 is reccommended for you.

More than anything, this method needs PATIENCE. You can't waste your ancients quests at 88 just because you're excited to get to level 90; just think about excited you'll be to get to 99 when you're only 97. By using ancients before level 97 you're wasting what could possibly be MONTHS of time and hard work getting those last two levels. Patience is a virtue.

That ends my guide on the fastest possible way to level in this retarded game.
-Mist

Mist

Member!
Reaction score
you get a couple levels a run til level 25. Then get 6-8 levels a run!! trust me.. try it.. sometimes you level twice at the same time if a huge group summoned by a seal is killed all at once lol

Tnanetueil

Reaction score
1-15 Tristruns (norm)
15-20 Tombruns (norm)
20-25 Cowruns (norm)
25-26 Ancients (norm)
25-40 Baalruns (norm)
40-41 Ancients (nm)
40-60 Baalruns (nm)
60-61 Ancients (hell)
60-99 baalruns (hell)