Bad CD?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a question concerning my Starcraft Brood War CD.
I installed SC BW on my computer with my CD and when I went to install it on my cousin’s computer the next day, it installed about 2/3 of the way and then froze. I took the CD out and tried it again but the same thing happened. I proceeded to try it three more times and each time got a little farther in the install, but froze about the same spot. We ditched the idea and played something else thinking it was my scratched up CD. But today I uninstalled SC and reinstalled it, along with BW. It installed FINE, no problems at all. What is the problem? We both have Windows XP and the CD has worked fine on his computer before.
I also tried copying the CD to see if a copy would install. I tried copying it on his computer and my computer; both had errors in the copy process.
So I’m not sure if it’s a CD problem or if it’s his computer, but like I said, the CD worked on my computer and it’s been on his computer before.

I was also wondering if I could by any chance download my SC BW from my computer (where it's already installed) onto a disk, is this possible? If so, is it possible to install with this CD?

Any and all help/advice would be appreciated, (but don't tell me to go buy the game again please;) ) thanks in advance.

- Zeratul_Of_Shakuras

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
I came across this same problem on my laptop. You can borrow another friend's CD. Once it's installed, then you can most likely use the disc that wouldn't allow you to install, you just can't re-install with that disc.

Reaction score
The only problem is, is that my CD is the only one we have. He has one but can't even start up starcraft, it looks like an ice hockey game was played on it lol.
I tried copying my CD again gut to no avail. It keeps coming up with an error about 93% threw copying. I know this CD works.
What about downloading the game from my computer where it's already installed? Is this a possibility?
Thanks

Zeratul_Of_Shakuras

dArKmIsChIeF

Member!
Reaction score
Zeratul_Of_Shakuras said:
1) I also tried copying the CD to see if a copy would install. I tried copying it on his computer and my computer; both had errors in the copy process.

2) What about downloading the game from my computer where it's already installed? Is this a possibility?
Zeratul_Of_Shakuras

Ok,

1) I dont really have an answer for this, but did it say someting like "Data redundancy error" or something like that???

2) This should work, you have to copy the whole directory, but also note that when you install SC, it also installs registries...so you have to copy those as well...

HOW TO COPY REGISTRIES (for Windows)

1) Go to the Start Menu- Run
2) Type in regedit and hit OK
3) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Blizzard Entertainment (copy whole folder)
4) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Blizzard Entertainement (copy whole folder)
5) Put all that crap on the CD...

I have a question though, how do u know where to put the registries???

HOPE IT WORKS!!!

~STARCRAFT ROCKS!!!~

Reaction score
dArKmIsChIeF-
1. I got the game installed finally. So that problem is solved.
Now I got another problem, we only have one Starcraft Broodwar CD, so we can't play BW together.

2. If I do this will this CD be the same as a regular BW disk?

"I have a question though, how do u know where to put the registries???"
Not a clue lol.

Thanks again,

Zeratul_Of_Shakuras

Hey sorry for double posting, but I have a question, how do I copy those filles from the "regedit" menu? I can right click but can't copy.
I can:
-Collapse
-New
-Find...
-Delete
-Rename
-Export
-Permissions...
-Copy Key Name

How do I copy it? Or do I have to copy the thing on the right?
Thanks

***Update***
FIXED! Made a copy of BW FINALY! Thanks for all your help guys