Anime/Manga Spotlight: Death Note

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score

Light Yagami is an extremely intelligent young man who resents the crime and corruption in the world. His life undergoes a drastic change when he discovers a mysterious notebook, known as the "Death Note", lying on the ground. The Death Note's instructions claim that if a human's name is written within it, that person shall die. Light is initially skeptical of the notebook's authenticity, but after experimenting with it, Light realizes that the Death Note is real. After meeting with the previous owner of the Death Note, a shinigami named Ryuk, Light seeks to become "the God of the New World" by passing his judgment on those he deems to be evil or who get in his way.

Soon, the number of inexplicable deaths of reported criminals catches the attention of the International Police Organization and a mysterious detective known only as "L". L quickly learns that the serial killer, dubbed by the public as "Kira" (キラ, "Kira"? derived from the Japanese pronunciation of the word "killer"), is located in Japan. L also concludes that Kira can kill people without laying a finger on them. Light realizes that L will be his greatest nemesis, and a game of psychological cat and mouse between the two begins.

The Manga is readily available torrentform here.
The Anime is available streaming here.
Let the discussion begin!

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
haven't finished it all yet.(watching adult swim lol dub)
Shows interesting to watch. but the fan base is full of retards.
I like how epic they make small things especially the writing part

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
From that manga/anime alone, I have discovered who my personal favorite anime character is: L.

I personally consider this one of my favs, I recommend to watch it or read it, whichever version you can get your hands/eyes on. It is just amazing what a battle of intelligence can create. Both sides trying to convict the other, through sheer planning and skill.

@Dark Blade:
The ending made some sense. No one human can become God, regardless of power. It was the obvious moral of that whole series.

It is also one of the few animes you can easily understand just by watching one episode at a time. Some like Ghost in the Shell, take like 20 watches and maybe 2 read-thrus before you can finally understand what is really going on (in the sense of the Laughing Man related chapters/episodes). I don't really like that, but sometimes that's what keeps me dragged into watching the show or reading the manga in the first place.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
it slowly went down hill after L died

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Well firstly, **** you N_ for revealing a plot line. I'm only up to episode 12. It's pretty badass so far, but they're kinda dragging out the little 'fights' between Light and L. I wont reveal anything to anyone who hasn't seen it. It's definitely worth a watch. Very different to what i usually watch, so it's a nice change. And the animation is pretty top notch too.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
agreed. it slowly became a fan fic to me :(

renzogaga said:
but they're kinda dragging out the little 'fights' between Light and L.
enjoy whille it lasts..

ChrisH36

Reaction score
I thought so too. I wasn't really of fan of Mellow or Near for that matter.

Mellow was just L + Emotion - Reason. Near was the opposite. If you had combined both of them into one human being, you would have made L.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Spoiled it for me too...

It's an ok anime, but the fans do take it super epically. Reminds me of Naruto in that sense.
the thing is there isnt much to be shocked from spoiling. IMO ppl already figured it out but that just shoved it in the back of their head so they can go OMFG THAT WAS SUM BRAIN ****TING MOMENT

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
i kinda wish they would do a sequel series where a death note is found in the US and ryuk is the same shinnigami holder of the book. It'd be interesting to see how the world is after the events and how the world has spun Kira.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
those stories are already out... they are called fan fics :3

ChrisH36

Reaction score
i kinda wish they would do a sequel series where a death note is found in the US and ryuk is the same shinnigami holder of the book. It'd be interesting to see how the world is after the events and how the world has spun Kira.
A sequel would lead to the same form of story as Light did. Unless the Kira was stupid, but then things wouldnt be interesting at all.