Amatures pwn Experts

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Interesting Article

As Haley Joel Osment said in A.I. when his artificial mind was pushed to the limits: "My brain is falling out."

At Wednesday night's developer roundtable, Shigeru Miyamoto offered a few of his observations about how people had been playing Wii during the first day of E3. Among them, his belief that casual gamers were easily, intuitively, and quickly learning how the Remote-and-Nunchuk control works with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but that longtime gamers were sometimes struggling a little. He suggested that we veterans are probably having to unlearn many years of old control habits.

I can vouch for that. My brain fell out yesterday when I played the new Zelda and Metroid—games that I thought I knew for years. My first play through of Twilight Princess was like walking for the first time. Through a pool of molasses. With one hand tied behind my back. And while wearing a hollow prosthetic leg filled with angry rats.

My second play-through felt somewhat natural, but I still felt like an amateur. And I haven't felt like an amateur since the first few times I played Super Mario 64 years ago, coming to grips with its 3D world.

But the third time through Twilight Princess? That was beautiful, and I hit that plugged-in feeling that I've had with only-Remote games like ExciteTruck, Sonic Wild Fire, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, and the Wii Sports titles. I had the same short learning curve with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, where the third time was also the charm. And with both, the ultimate experience of feeling that deeper connection to the action was well worth my first few stumbles. In the Zelda universe, we now feel the real, dangerous thrill of aiming and firing arrows at enemies with the Wii Remote before they put skewers through you. We power spin attacks with a swirl of the Nunchuk. We shove the Remote to shove foes off with our shield, lash out with the Nunchuk to throw a crate, and (best of all) stab downward with the Nunchuk to plunge our sword into the skull of a monster. It's not only the most gorgeous Zelda game we've ever seen, the motion-fueled extras also make it the most sensory we've ever played.

When Wii control with the Remote and Nunchuk is done as well as this, having to go back to classic control with console games for the next few months—until the Wii hits our homes later this year—feels like going backwards. With both legs duct-taped together. While wearing a straitjacket. Filled with angry rats.

Whenever the Wii launches later this year, it just can't come soon enough for me.

_JaKE

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Well this is no surprise...after 10 years using the double controll sticks motion in an fps or any game, it gonna be harder to use the wiimote.

Biske

Reaction score
This will be hilarious. A day or two a friend of mine was gloating how he got a X360, and how it was "awesome", even though he is playing it on a SD 15" TV. He mocked at my proposal that it was "all the same" even though it was prettier, and that the Wii Remote was rediculous. If it is as good as they are saying it is, how they can't go back to old style controls after experiancing Wii, Nintendo is definetly on to the true Next Gen...and Microsoft is screwed.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
You know the words of Miyamoto ^_^

Twilight Princes Wii >>>>>>> Twilight Princess NGC

I was going through some photos that Nintendo.com has, and it shows an old guy and several ladies having as much fun with the new Wii Remote as the younger men! It seems that Nintendo is doing exactly what it set out to do, unite gamers and non-gamers, alike, to a video gaming experiance that has to be played to believe!

I'm already loving the line-up! Its interesting to see what genres fit where. Smash Bros. is already showing to be a 'standard' control type game where FPS fits, perfectly, in with the new motion sensor! I mean, Red Steal was built from the ground up, by Ubisoft, specifically for the Wii's unique control scheme!

Top off what games are going to be available with standard ED outputs built straight in (Red-Blue-Green components), and my 20" Magnavox's got a whole new set of wheels!

_JaKE

Reaction score
bamthedoc said:
I was going through some photos that Nintendo.com has, and it shows an old guy and several ladies having as much fun with the new Wii Remote as the younger men! It seems that Nintendo is doing exactly what it set out to do, unite gamers and non-gamers, alike, to a video gaming experiance that has to be played to believe!
Nintendo is right by the way, targeting every age group, and both sexes will win them the war. Then again, Nintendo has already declared they arent in the war. But, from everyone elses point of view, they ARE in the war. And thier winning it.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
That control system is really strange. I believe the remote holds all the buttons, then there is a wire going to another handheld device which is the control stick. I am amazed people are going to get used to that setup.

L

Laharl

It's not that hard to believe, I'm looking forward to trying it out myself. :)

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Actually. Most reviewers, including IGN and GameSpot, are saying the control scheme is very intuitive and easy to use. They also mention the difference between games built for the Wii, games ported to it well, and games ported to it with the Wii-mote as an afterthought. They state the former two are great and fun to play where the latter is just...dull.

This is good news and bad, and the bad news is a wolf in sheeps clothing. The good news is that games like Red Steel, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Wii Sports, et cetera are fun, easy to pick up, and intuitive. The good news is also that games like Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Madden '07, Farcry Vengeance, et cetera are still fun and intuitive, but they may be a tad harder to just pick up. The bad news is thus, however. Games like Avatar, Open Season, Cars, et cetera don't play so well and can seem clunky compared to their counterparts on other systems.

This means that the bad news might drive the idea that porting to the Wii from other consoles is impossible. However, let's point out Madden '07 from EA Games. The Wii version was developed, exclusively, by EA Canada where the 360 and PS3 versions were developed in the "regular" studio in Orlando, Floriday. Though currently lacking in the online department (speculation of future patch to make it online as unconfirmed as Red Steel), reviewers have stated that the Wii version actually plays better than the other console versions. They have stated the intuitiveness of the control scheme.

That said, all a developer need do is actually work on making a working port rather than just moving the game to the system.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Bam said:
Actually. Most reviewers, including IGN and GameSpot, are saying the control scheme is very intuitive and easy to use. They also mention the difference between games built for the Wii, games ported to it well, and games ported to it with the Wii-mote as an afterthought. They state the former two are great and fun to play where the latter is just...dull.
It has some pluses the Wiimote system.

1) I have a friend that is left-handed. He could control the stick with his right better than he could with his left. Since the user can carry either one with a different hand, it helps him when he plays.

2) You get more freedom with your arms when you use this control system.

I think the only real con is getting used to it. Also, you might accidently drop it and the small size could succumb some damage. This isn't always a good thing.

But the games will depends how well they incorporate it.

Might Wii make a controller in case for people who don't get used to the Wiimote system, or do you have to use it?

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure developers of games will choose like they do today on ps2 games(analog or not is the only example i can think of atm)so i assume it depends on teh designer of the game on the choice of remote or classic

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
An interesting question, and one Nintendo and Pelican have already thought of ;)

First I'll adress fears of dropping the Wii-mote. Nintendo is selling each controller, including the one with the system, with a wrist strap. For those "too cool" to use the wrist strap, Pelican (and some other accessorizers) are developing "tough" or "padded" controllers. Pelican, inparticular, is developing one padded with (or is it by?) Nerf.

Now I'll adress your final quesiton. Nintendo, and some other accessorizers if rumors hold true, is (are if there are others) releasing a shell extension that will make the Wii-mote "look" and feel like a GameCube controller. The Wii-mote will dock (almost like an iPod might) in the shell to give it weight and make the new controller kind of resemble an older one.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Oh, so they will allow the user to customize thier Wii-mote to thier needs.

But the padding must be done in my opinion, especially with kids since they will constantly be dropping it and letting it fall when they put it down. I have had it happen before, thats how my Superpad 64 controller got the Z button broken.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
If you're worried about shock protection, get the [less expensive] Nerf Pelican Wii-mote ;)

Yes. Nintendo is, as oh so many reviewers and critics alike have said, taken a page from Apple in the "customization" and "accessorizing" department.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
I'm not the one to be worried, the kids who are clumsy and don't take care of thier hardware are the people who should be.