A Game that could Replace Starcraft?

Could Warhammer Replace Starcraft?

• Yes, it's got better grpahics, more options, it's just gunna be better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Starcraft is classic, and has been popular for over 6 years.

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
"Since 1998, Blizzard's StarCraft and its subsequent expansion Brood War has stood as one of the most beloved futuristic sci-fi real time strategy games in history. No sooner had we had our first taste of Terran vs Zerg vs Protoss action, than longtime fans of the Warhammer 40,000 series of tabletop games began to argue that the rich back story and universe of Blizzard's hit RTS lacked originality. Warhammer 40K was there first with a robust universe full of clans of sturdy human soldiers and mysterious aliens and all of their respective equipment battling for supremacy. The similarities between the StarCraft and Warhammer universes are uncanny even if one began as a tabletop war game in 1987. Now in 2004, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War looks to seize the spotlight as the futuristic themed science fiction RTS of choice for PC fans. StarCraft is credited with doing a lot to propel the genre to its current level of success but in the years since its release, no sci-fi themed RTS has come close to approaching its popularity. The rich back story and universe of Warhammer 40,000 and the familiar feel of Dawn of War's stalwart Space Marines, psychic Eldar, dark Chaos army and humorous Ork races could make the Relic title the heir apparent. Or could it be a case of the originator reclaiming its throne as the preferred sci-fi universe for real-time strategy games? Whatever the case, Dawn of War looks as if it's prepared to take the RTS concepts popularized by StarCraft and advance them to the next level, bringing the whole genre into a new, more sophisticated era." - IGN.com

So, any thoughts on this? Do you think SC will still be favored over Warhammer? Or will it "re-take" it's throne? I might give it a try, but I think I'll still always like SC.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Sc for me please :).

aphextwin

Reaction score
i prob liked wc2 more than sc back in the days :\

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score

Sakuhta

Reaction score
Funny place to post it. ^_^ Blizzard already has a bigger fanbase to pull from, hardly anyone reads Warhammer Monthly anymore, and those are the absolute-buy fans. While yes, it may be better, it has less publicity, lower fan-base, less widely-known company, and hell, I hate their turn-based games. (I have Warhammer 20,000)

Not to mention... um.. wtf? SC is a full RTS game, Warhammer is 3rd person turn based.

And actually SC's back story has plenty of originality. -.- IGN can go to hell. :p

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
For the record...Starcraft and it's expansion - Brood War were both original. It didn't take off Warhammer, except maybe the Space Marines o_O

Zmoney

Reaction score
Originally posted by Sword Tip
Sc for me please :).

SAme here, JIm Raynor for President!

Biske

Reaction score
Kerrigan for Pres, then. Of course, we'd all probably be incorperated into the swarm if that happened.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
WH40k is going to be to complex for people to just pick up like they did with SC. Theres going to be a Moral system, and all kinds of other stuff, you dont get minerals by mineing, you get them by owning land for a certain amount of time...It's going to suck

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Ugh, i don't like it how they make a game TOO realistic. It sucks, we just want to mine minerals, collect gas, and kick ass...

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
StarCraft (or Blizzard in general) has an established base of trust and users.

IGN is working from scratch.

If their game is good, it could take some users, no doubt, but it is a bit like taking on Microsoft in the OS market. It will take time.