4-socket shield question!!!

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
My sorc is approaching lvl 80 and I have many unused stat points available. I want to use a "Spirit" shield. Obviously, I need a 4-os non-pally shield. Research has shown that there are 3 elite shields which have a 4-socket max in hell mode...

Monarch (156 str req)
Aegis (219 str req)
Ward (185 str req)

I have less than 100 str right now, but I do have those unused points. You guys know the deal, 156 str is HIGH for a sorc. However, my friend just told me that there is a typo on those sites since there is one more 4-socket elite shield...

Trollnest (106 str req)

He claims to have used this on a previosu hc sorc, whom has since died.

Is this true? Can I find a 4-socket Trollnest with 106 str req??? (Oh, and if you have one, let me know :fwink ).

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
trollnest has 3 sockets.

Do you have any alternate gear that would give +strength to get in range without wasting stat points? I mean use +strength gear and then get some charms or something. How many stats do you have now? cause unless you have enough there is no point to it.

Try to get +strength gear and charms so you dont was too many stat points.

Hamtaro

Official Forum Hamster
Reaction score
Use a different shield?

johNNyboi

Member!
Reaction score
troll nest = 3s
lowest str. for 4s shield would be monarch, so get one on a monarch

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Very well, then. My friend must somehow be confused. I suppose I'll load up on some +5str lc's and sample the "spirit" shield. Otherwise, I'll just go with Lidless.

When I've asked for a 4-os shield in trade games, 2 or 3 guys have come with "clean" monarch's, saying all I have to do is use Larzuk's quest and it'll have the 4-sockets. I didn't make the trade even though I'm inclined to believe them, because I was unsure. Arreat Summit says that Larzuk will add the max sockets, but it depends on the monser lvl it that dropped it.

Is it possible those monarch's dropped in nightmare and therefore could only get 3-sockets??? I found it odd that they wouldn't agree to my request for them to use their quest on it to prove it to me. It's such an easy quest to get with another char.

Pat420

Member!
Reaction score
wow... u must realy be a noob? troll nest were 4 soket... back in 1.08 :S and monarchs (no sokets/not magic or unique or rare) will become max of sokets when u do soket quest with larzuk or wut ever his name is

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Yeah, wow... I sure am a "noob" for not knowing a random 4-socket shield fact from version 1.08. I guess I'm gonna get "owned", eh? Damn, I wish I was "leet"!

Why does everyone on this site sound the same? :-/ That's why this was posted in Noobs Only anyway. And yes, his name is Larzuk, you noob.

Anyway, thanks for the help.. next time I'll use the quest on that monarch!

Kilz

Member!
Reaction score
The sprit shield is worth the stat points. A lot of people forget that it has 22 vitality, so it kind of helps offset the stat points you spend. The increese in mana, 35% to 3 resistances, and the 2 skills beat a lidless any day.

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Hey, I just got that Monarch shield yesterday, but the guy told me that I need to socket it from Larzuk in Hell Mode. Does it matter what mode you are in??? I thought it works the same for normal/nightmare/hell. Just like Charsi's imbue... that it only depends on the item itself... no?

Kilz

Member!
Reaction score
Correct, it dosnt matter the mode. But socket it by the socket quest with Larzuk. That way you are guarented of 4 sockets.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
not_a_poster said:
y is such a good shield use so easy to obtain runes?
if u can read
its for his sorc
im assuming he doenst want a lidless

Kilz

Member!
Reaction score
not_a_poster said:
y is such a good shield use so easy to obtain runes?
I agree the runes are very common. The rune word is very powerful. But in this case the shield is the hard part to get. A monarch can only be found in hell mode. It is the lowest strength shield that will work. It also has the drawback of needing 156 strength to hold it. That is a lot for a sorc.