300 pwnage! Exclusive review from Athens!

Jenny!

Public Relations ADDministrator
Reaction score
I didn't even know the Persians and Iranians were relative to one another.. Xerxes was probably the most feminine man ever next to Rupaul.

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Wow. Do they know it's just a movie/comic? They say it portrays them as monsters, well, to Greece, they were the equivelent, as is any conquering force. How do you think the US looks to them? Not a great and wonderous society trying to bring "culture" to their land, that's for sure.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
did it ever occur to them that the entire movie was told from the perspective of a spartan, so how the hell else are they going to be represented.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I didn't even know the Persians and Iranians were relative to one another.. Xerxes was probably the most feminine man ever next to Rupaul.
Iran is the new name for old Persia. The name change is actually pretty recent. I don't know specifics, but I don't think it's been called Iran for more than 30 years, and that's just a conservative shot in the dark. Older maps in some of our classrooms still have it labeled as Persia, so I'm assuming it was even MORE recently, probably within 10 years.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Mr. Glowpole, the Persians tried to conquer Greece a few times during that period - unsuccesfully. We were protecting ourselves against them and Leonidas with his 300 did exactly that. You dont throw chairs when you watch a part of your country's real history made into a cinematical myth;)
From what I've heard it's so far from the real history that I'm not planning to watch it anytime soon.

Haven't read the comic(book) it's based on, so I'm not sure I could get into it.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Iran is the new name for old Persia. The name change is actually pretty recent. I don't know specifics, but I don't think it's been called Iran for more than 30 years, and that's just a conservative shot in the dark. Older maps in some of our classrooms still have it labeled as Persia, so I'm assuming it was even MORE recently, probably within 10 years.
It was called Persia until 1935, and at this point in time the Persian Empire covered Iran, Babylon(iraq), Egypt, Jerusalem, and Turkey with hopes of extending their influence into Greece, and attempt that Darius tried years before. Persia herself was a vast collection of nations conquered by several strong rulers. Actually until Alexander the Great, it was the largest empire up to that point.

Magikarp

Reaction score
Having an effeminate, sexually deviant Xerxes wasn't very tasteful, I thought. Still a great movie though that made no excuses and was actually entertaining.

B~E

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
They don't make men like those any more, miss Jenny. Not even in Sparta;)
Apparently so. I've read an article in the Washington Post about how they had build a functional trireme in Greece, but they realised that they couldn't find the manpower to move the damn thing with the same performance as it was described in the ancient greek texts. Like they said in the article, they'd be hardpressed to find enough athletes in Europe to achieve the same performance. People were just fitter then I guess.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, you clearly don't get the point of the movie then.
And you clearly don't get the point of my post, I haven't read the comic(book) so I could care less to watch a movie that's historically incorrect.

But **** me for not wanting to watch the newest over-hyped movie.

Loved that game, but can't recall the name of it.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Beck only watches documentaries. Either that or he just needs a controversial opinion to post on this site. Jury's out.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
It was called Persia until 1935, and at this point in time the Persian Empire covered Iran, Babylon(iraq), Egypt, Jerusalem, and Turkey with hopes of extending their influence into Greece, and attempt that Darius tried years before. Persia herself was a vast collection of nations conquered by several strong rulers. Actually until Alexander the Great, it was the largest empire up to that point.
Ahh. I thought it was more recent than that, but in the history of the world that IS very recent...

@Beck: Killer Instinct, baby. Fulgore is the shit!

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
And you clearly don't get the point of my post, I haven't read the comic(book) so I could care less to watch a movie that's historically incorrect.
Quite clearly you don't understand the point of the movie.

Guess you have never watched any movie, ever, if "historically correct" is what stops you from watching a good movie. Then again if you go so far as call a movie over hyped without actually seeing it, or knowing anything about it, it's to be expected.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
The story of the Battle of Thermopylae, as well as the philosophy of Sparta, are portrayed correctly - apart from a few details, like the spartan armor etc. Xerxes and the Persians, on the other hand, are a bit *mythical*. But they were indeed a million men against 300, mr. Beck. And Sparta was the only city in Greece that had no need of fortresses.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
the whole movie(or comic) is more of a romantic style story of the battle

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Beck only watches documentaries. Either that or he just needs a controversial opinion to post on this site. Jury's out.
Isn't that your role?
Quite clearly you don't understand the point of the movie.

Guess you have never watched any movie, ever, if "historically correct" is what stops you from watching a good movie. Then again if you go so far as call a movie over hyped without actually seeing it, or knowing anything about it, it's to be expected.
Quite clearly you don't understand the point of my post yet again, wait I'll make it EVEN MORE SIMPLE.

I haven't read the book -> I don't like inaccurate movies -> Read reviews that say it's MEH -> I'm not watching it

Now, what exactly do you have a problem with? What exactly is so hard to understand? Do you always have to push your bullshit opinions down someones throat?

The point is I don't have to understand the "point" of the movie, which you haven't explained, I'm not going to WATCH the movie. I don't need to understand a movie I'm not going to watch.
The story of the Battle of Thermopylae, as well as the philosophy of Sparta, are portrayed correctly - apart from a few details, like the spartan armor etc. Xerxes and the Persians, on the other hand, are a bit *mythical*. But they were indeed a million men against 300, mr. Beck. And Sparta was the only city in Greece that had no need of fortresses.
It was more like 1,300 men, 300 from sparta and 1000 from another city state.

Now continue to create bullshit arguments from nothing but my statement, that I'm not going to watch the movie, it's fun to argue over nothing.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
According to Herodotus, there were 700 Thespians along with the Spartans - but they made no difference against the huge Persian army once they were betrayed. They all died at Thermopylae.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Quite clearly you don't understand the point of my post yet again, wait I'll make it EVEN MORE SIMPLE.

I haven't read the book -> I don't like inaccurate movies -> Read reviews that say it's MEH -> I'm not watching it
omg wow, that makes so much more sense. Is it possible for you to watch any movies? Obviously you have never ever watched any movie based in history, because there has never been a movie which isn't inaccurate. Additionally I guess you can't watch any other type of contemporary movies, because many are based on books you probably haven't read, and never actually happened in history either, therefore there is no point in watching it. Additionally I guess you can't watch any movies based in the future either because they will historically never happen. In fact why bother having a historical fiction type of movie, or better yet a fiction movie at all.

Now, what exactly do you have a problem with? What exactly is so hard to understand? Do you always have to push your bullshit opinions down someones throat?
No it's more along the lines when someone will go out and say a movie is over hyped without seeing it and bases an opinion on bullshit.

The point is I don't have to understand the "point" of the movie, which you haven't explained, I'm not going to WATCH the movie. I don't need to understand a movie I'm not going to watch.
well at least you know the history that you are arguing the movie got wrong. :rolleyes

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
According to Herodotus, there were 700 Thespians along with the Spartans - but they made no difference against the huge Persian army once they were betrayed. They all died at Thermopylae.
There were also Spartan slaves, around 2000 of them.
omg wow, that makes so much more sense. Is it possible for you to watch any movies? Obviously you have never ever watched any movie based in history, because there has never been a movie which isn't inaccurate. Additionally I guess you can't watch any other type of contemporary movies, because many are based on books you probably haven't read, and never actually happened in history either, therefore there is no point in watching it. Additionally I guess you can't watch any movies based in the future either because they will historically never happen. In fact why bother having a historical fiction type of movie, or better yet a fiction movie at all.
You still haven't managed to grasp it yet, I'm not watching the movie because I don't want to.

You're turning two small comments into an argument, why? For all you know I may hate war movies.

No it's more along the lines when someone will go out and say a movie is over hyped without seeing it and bases an opinion on bullshit.
Wrong I was replying to your reply to my post, nothing more. You started this bullshit with your original comment, get it straight. I'm still waiting for you to explain the "point of the movie", which should be your only reply.

And I based my opinion on REVIEWS that agreed it was.

well at least you know the history that you are arguing the movie got wrong. :rolleyes
What the hell are you trying to say?

I'm not trying to get into an agurment, my original post just stated I wasn't going to watch the movie anytime soon, and then I chose to list a couple of reasons, because I don't like posting genericly. I'll probably actually buy the movie on DVD, but I'm not going to watch it "anytime soon".