300 pwnage! Exclusive review from Athens!

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
First of all, women were a pitiful minority at the Athens VMax theater (biggest screen in europe) last night. We were about 1,5 females for every 10 males.

Second, we watched 7 commercials before the movie and 5 of them were for cigarettes. The other two for sodas.

Then, the movie started.

It is by far the best movie adaptation of a comic ever made.

I had never seen anything like that before on screen and judging from the absolute silence of the audience during most of the movie, the same goes for all. It was like the comic strips were coming to life right in front of our eyes! The art work is pure magic (THE COLOR!!!), the 3D effects are unbelievable, the battle scenes are unlike anything ever created on film, the Spartans are extremely seksi (Tatu and Jenny must not miss it:D) and there are lines and scenes of major *bad-assery*, that made every Greek in the audience feel very *large* and proud.

No one was laughing, no one was making loud comments, and during the most dramatic scenes, especially in the end, when we listened to the last famous quote that we all have learned in high school, we suddenly discovered that we all still remembered it. Word for word. In ancient greek: Ω ξείν, αγγέλοις Λακεδαιμονίοις ότι τήδε κείμεθα, τοις κείνων ρημασι πειθόμενοι...

We applauded only once during the film: The moment when the Queen of Sparta behaves like a man. We applauded again at the end. It deserves it. Not for creating a myth out of real history, or for portraying Greece so positively, but for being an exceptional movie from every cinematical aspect. I wouldn't miss it if I was you.

And if you book a seat right in the middle of a IMax screen, take your mouse with you. You might feel the urge to use it:D

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
the pains of not having an id with your bday on it :(

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
I'm seeing it tomorrow..well it's 4:22AM so today, but ya..I can't wait. I want to see it at an iMax but the closest one is like an hour or more away..so meh.

Static

Premium Member
Reaction score
****in no imax havin shit town i live in

I will see it and I will be tripping.

Glowy

Premium Member
Reaction score
First of all, women were a pitiful minority at the Athens VMax theater (biggest screen in europe) last night. We were about 1,5 females for every 10 males.

Second, we watched 7 commercials before the movie and 5 of them were for cigarettes. The other two for sodas.

Then, the movie started.

It is by far the best movie adaptation of a comic ever made.

I had never seen anything like that before on screen and judging from the absolute silence of the audience during the most part of the movie, the same goes for all. It was like the comic strips were coming to life right from the paper! The art work is pure magic (THE COLOR!!!), the 3D effects are unbelievable, the battle scenes are unlike anything ever created on film, the Spartans are extremely seksi (Tatu and Jenny must not miss it:D) and there are lines and scenes of major *bad-assery*, that made every Greek in the audience feel very *large* and proud.

No one was laughing, no one was making loud comments, and during the most dramatic scenes, especially in the end, when we listened to the last famous quote that we all have learned in high school, we suddenly discovered that we all still remembered it. Word for word. In ancient greek: Ω ξείν, αγγέλοις Λακεδαιμονίοις ότι τήδε κείμεθα, τοις κείνων ρημασι πειθόμενοι...

We applauded only once during the film: The moment when the Queen of Sparta behaves like a man. We applauded again at the end. It deserves it. Not for creating a myth out of real history, or for portraying Greece so positively, but for being an exceptional movie from every cinematical aspect. I wouldn't miss it if I was you.

And if you book a seat right in the middle of a IMax screen, take your mouse with you. You might feel the urge to use it:D

and here I thought you greeks would burst out into a brawl from the bloodlust of your history......hell i'd throw a chair or something.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Mr. Glowpole, the Persians tried to conquer Greece a few times during that period - unsuccesfully. We were protecting ourselves against them and Leonidas with his 300 did exactly that. You dont throw chairs when you watch a part of your country's real history made into a cinematical myth;)

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
So is 300 like, the best thing that Greece has ever given the world or what?

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
The greeks had nothing to do with the film - besides providing the basis of the story. If you are referring to the battle of Thermopylae, it provided the greeks with enough time to assemble for the next one: the battle of Plataiai, that stopped the persians for good. I have no idea if that was good for the world or not:D For the greeks, it certainly was.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
right a Movie adaption of a graphic novel based on a Greek battle, with no actually ties to Greek people is "the best thing Greece has given the world".
No lets overlook the stunning art, the philosophy, the political theory of Democracy, and lets focus on a non-Greek movie.

Seeing this movie within the next 24 hours. OR ELSE.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
right a Movie adaption of a graphic novel based on a Greek battle, with no actually ties to Greek people is "the best thing Greece has given the world".
No lets overlook the stunning art, the philosophy, the political theory of Democracy, and lets focus on a non-Greek movie.

Seeing this movie within the next 24 hours. OR ELSE.
well its a movie adaptation of a graphic novel based on a 60's movie on a greek battle :p

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Everyone knows that America invented art, philosophy and democracy.

[Koolaid]

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
yup tonight im going in Imax... o baby its going to be sweet. here its rated 13 + lol..