You people must suck at the hunter class.

4G63

Reaction score
My Hunter at 60 is always in the top 4 for a 10man, unless we have 3+ rogues and are in an AoE instance like Scholo with mages. You people need to learn how to play your class.

His autoshot crits are 450-700 on equal level mobs.
Aimed shots vary from 1100-2200 on Players, if I have the time to get it off.

Want to know my build? It's quite good, as your pet often gets taken out of many builds. Often pulls aggro if starting to damage a mob when the Warriors attacks, and does quite well in 5man groups. Granted there are other classes that are better for a 5man, but a hunter if played well can contribute ALOT to a successfull 5 man.

For Instance: today I ran Tribute with:
Warrior
Rogue
Rogue
Priest
Hunter

I was in charge of AoE, and used Volley / Explosive Trap / Deterrance (to stay alive just that much longer, and it made a HUGE difference), and Ramsteins Lightning Bolts. The HUGE packs would be charged by the warrior, I would place my trap, slap deterrence after I pulled the aggro, hit my bolts, and voila. 3 Second later, all the mobs are dead. = Proof you can do DM without a mage. I brought alot to the table, and was in the top 2 for DPS, excluding my pet.

My build? Nothing spectacular.

5/25/21 Build, although I may respec because 22 extra attack power isn't worth it too much.

Beast Mastery
5: Improved Aspect of the Hawk.
Increases Attack Power by 15% on this. Not really worth it, only 132 AP from 110 with 5/5 in this talent. About 1.3-1.5 DPS or so.

Marksmanship
5: Improved Concussive Shot
This is a staple of the hunter, albeit a small one. This one has a 20% chance to stun the target for 4 seconds with 5/5 Points. Worth it.

5: Lethal Shots
5/5 is 5% Crit chance with Ranged Weapons. This is also a pre-req for Mortal Shots, a staple of any Ranged Hunter.

5: Improved Arcane Shot
With 5/5 Points, this reduces your main Special DD Ranged spells' cooldown by a full second. This also affects the cooldown on Aimed Shot, as their cooldowns are tied together. This is a very valuable talent to have.

1: Aimed Shot
Need I say more? This skill has the potential to nearly one shot a Cloth user, and cripple most classes if un-prepared.

5: Mortal Shots
At 5/5, this is 50% more damage on your critical strikes. This talent is what enables us to hit such high numbers using Aimed Shot.

3: Hawk Eye
At 3/3 Ranks, this improves our max range by 6 yards. This is equal to a Fire-spec'd mage, at 41 yards. I was Beast Spec and missed out on this, and felt a little gimped, as I had to run just that much closer to people.

1: Scatter Shot
This is possibly the best skill a hunter has for Marksmanship. Although it has a 30 Second cooldown, moderate mana cost, and a 4 second damage-interruptable stun, it kills casting, and can be cast on the run. If you plan on using this versus something (a player, usually), do NOT hit him with Serpent Sting before, as I've had this ability completly negated, as it was not timed right with the 3 second pause between Serpent Stings Damage. Use this, love it. This also works well when mounted enemies are running past you.

Survival
5: Precision
5/5 Ranks give you 5% chance to hit with melee weapons. Useful, I would say.

5: Entrapment
I am a trap-happy hunter, and will use them when needed, and even if they are not needed. at 5/5, this gives your Explosive, Immolation, and Frost Trap a 25% chance to immobilize the target for 5 seconds. Can Proc multiple times with Explosive Trap. I *LOVE* this Talent.

5: Improved Wing Clip
20% Chance to immobilize the target for 5 seconds. Very useful when kiting a mob. Drops Run speed to 40% of normal, lasts 10 seconds. At R3, does 40 damage and can crit for 60 damage. Highly Spammable. I suggest this if you are the type that runs through mobs/players.

1: Deterrance
This spell just rocks. 5 Minute Cooldown, which isn't much. +25% Dodge/Parry Chance. When combined with AotM (Aspect of the Monkey), my Dodge Chance skyrockets to over 45%, and can hit over 50% with a few different pieces of gear.

1/5: Deflection
At 5/5 Ranks, this is +1% chance to parry an attack. Considering Counterattack relies on you to parry an attack to become effective, 5/5 points is not too bad here. With only one point, I am at 6% parry. Highly suggested if you go melee alot and get Counterattack.

3: Improved Freezing Trap
Once again...If you are Trap-happy, and love to contribute to a 5-man group, this is sometimes necessary. 3/3 Points gives your Freezing Trap +6 seconds, keeping that mob you trapped in there for 26 seconds. This is long enough for you to slaughter at least one mob easily. Doesn't work well vs Dragonkin, but it DOES trap every type of mob. Does not work on Boss-type mobs.

1: Counterattack
This skill is amazing. Once again, a 5-second immobilizing skill that becomes active after you parry an opponents attack. I use it, as I go melee alot. Worth it if you go melee, useless if you don't.

End Talent Location:

Beast Mastery: 5
Marksmanship: 25
Survival: 21

Now, for Macros. These are very simple ones, but they will help you to become a better (and more efficiant[SP?]) hunter in 5-man groups.

Feign Death + Trap
This does not work versus a PvE Mob, as PvE mobs carry Hate-lists. If you drop off this, your trap will break on them. This is useful when you are in combat and need to place a trap on an extra mob, or get one down during PvP.

/cast Feign Death
/Script PetFollow();
Keep in mind this will bring your pet to you. You will have to take your pet off a mob (if on one) to drop out of combat, which usually takes at least 3+ seconds. If you enter combat again while in FD after you are OUT of FD (like missing your opportunity), screw it and pop back up.

Scatter Shot

/cast Scatter Shot
/Script PetFollow();
Provided Serpent Sting is not on your mob (assuming a 1v1 situation), hitting this button will hit the mob with Scatter Shot and recall your pet, giving you the 4 seconds of time. Remember, the stun breaks on damage, so if you stay there with Autoshot on, you're a smart one. This is useful for interrupting casting. Very versatile, and works in most situations, save for boss fights.

Call/Dismiss Pet

If you are like me, I like having minimal buttons on my toolbars.

/Cast Dismiss Pet
/Cast Call Pet
This will replace both of those buttons, saving a slot. Not required, but useful to some.

Raurens PetFeed is also a good addon for you to get, and is very self-explanitory.

If you have any questions, or would like to see my character in game, Zao @ Skullcrusher, 60 NE Hunter.

Beer $lut

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Why would you say we all suck at hunters if one or two people made a thread about not knowing how to play the hunter class?

4G63

Reaction score
Because that's all everyone see's? You should know, you've been here long enough.

4G63

Reaction score
Except when you are running by with your cloth user and you die in two crits...

Or that we have the potential to do VERY good damage (as in top 1/2 in a 5 man group) in an instance, or that we have high survivability if played right in PvP.

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
if i suck at playing hunter why did my 47 hunter beat your 60 hunter four out of four times in duels yesterday? explain that.
and thank you for saying i suck at playing WoW when you've never seen me.