Yet another StarCraft 2 rumour

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
This one courtesy of IGN.

Rumor: StarCraft 2 Beta By Year's End?
A Korean site claims to have the scoop on a new race and the future of the original StarCraft.
by Daemon Hatfield

US, April 11, 2007 - Put on your skeptical goggles because rumors are swirling that StarCraft 2 is finally a reality. The Team Liquid forums have translated an article from Korean site Fighter Forum that says StarCraft 2 is on the way and a beta will be released at the end of 2007.

According to Fighter Forum, StarCraft 2 continues the story of the original and adds a new race based on Kerrigan, making a total of four races. While that wouldn't be totally off the mark, we figured the new race would be more the super-race mix between Zerg and Protoss rather than Zerg and Terran or at least the mystically advanced Xel'Naga. The three older tribes will each be receiving around two additional units.

The report also claims that Blizzard plans to shut down its original StarCraft servers in order to ensure the success of the sequel.

As popular as StarCraft was on these shores, it doesn't come close to the enthusiasm the game still enjoys in Asia, where televised, professional matches are held regularly. Blizzard has an event coming up in Korea where they are expected to make a large announcement, so it could very well be that the company has chosen the area where StarCraft is the most popular to announce its sequel.

As of this writing, Blizzard could not be reached for comment.​

Source: Rumor: StarCraft 2 Beta By Year's End?, IGN, Aprill 11, 2007

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely fishy. I find it strange that they would actually close down Starcraft servers for it.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
shut down Vanilla or BW or both:(
2 new units.. doesnt sound much of a sequel.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
adding a few units isn't a sequel, thats an expansion. Blizzard has never taken a game and added a few things for a sequel. Few companies do that. If Starcraft 2 exists or is going to exist, you can bet few units will remain the same, and tech trees would be radically altered.

T3h Sorrow

"Best ***s on the forum"
Reaction score
Pretty much. Shut down StarCraft servers? That would induce so much hatred around the world.*
that's why people make servers :).

but yes, sounds like that wont happen, did they shut down d1, wc2 servers?

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt the public would all decide to join private servers. This rumor sounds false because the real SC2 would be so much different than it is now. It would have more than just one new race and a lot more than two units.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Blizzard is no longer blizzard. All the people that made the sweet games all left to make other companies that make shitty products. This leaves blizzard to make shitty products themselves(WOW). Woe to the Craft series.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I wouldn't say everyones left, but a lot of people have...Diablo had the biggest hit if I remember though employee wise, as most of those guys went to form or join other companies that have made/making games that are like D2 right now. :(

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
i.e. Flagship Studios, ArenaNet, Ready At Dawn Studios, Red 5 Studios, Castaway Entertainment, Hyboreal Games, Nethera Studios

Actualy, Castaway entertainment is mostly comprised of Blizzard North employees, not Flagship Studios, who are making Hellgate london. Bill Roper literaly did all the voices in Warcraft 1.

Ninja_Blue

[ Official Forum Ninja ]
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
They've already released betas for Heallgate : London.
I saw some xfire users with Heallgate : London gametime on their record.

Taligaro

Furyan Merc
Reaction score
You know, I thought that some of the Blizzard North folk started the Ascaron Entertainment and made Sacred. I've played D2 and Sacred, and but for a few things, it is like playing the same game.

I may be wrong about that though. I'll be checking both of the credits in the game books to double check though. LOL

As for SC2, I'll wait until I see it at BestBuy before I trust anything anyone says about it.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Titan Quest plays Exactly like D2, right down to most of the controls, however it is just a copy.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
because it was a diablo clone. thanks for adding nothing to the conversation.

Beck: I thought this was hilarious, after reading some of your previous posts, and both of you are way off-topic.