Why pay for dedicated server hosting

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
thats like asking whats the advantage of buying a beer. the advantage is the beer.

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
So your saying people wont be able to join my games unless I pay for hosting?

aphextwin

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
i used to use my old computer as a server back in cs15 and before....... dunno why ppl would pay $10 / month for a computer server when u can save ur 10 and use a older computer..... anyways i had the exact same question, yet i dont know the answer....

Demon Child

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Zerogamers.com
Its dedicated and wont go down, and will prolly be more active then a normal server..

OMGLOLWTFPWN

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You can run a dedicated server on your computer, but unless it is a really good one chances are you can't do much else, or the server could lag. ANd if you have 56k hosting your own server will be a problem, you need a lot of upload bandwidth.

Reaction score
Korittke said:
thats like asking whats the advantage of buying a beer. the advantage is the beer.
LMFAO...that's true...

Besides what Frog said...some people like to do stuff on their computer besides run a server.

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
Itsnotaskingtheadvantageofbuyingbeer...its[color=damnthistakesalongtimeaddingcoloristhereafasterwaytoaddcolor?]more like asking the advantage of buying beer rather than brewing it yourself. but anyway i would setup a shitty comp just for the server so it wouldnt bother me, and i could run it 24/7[/color]

Sicloan

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.visualdesigncore.com
It still lags you house connection. If you cable or greater internet connection and have at least like 128 kb/s uploads you can host your own games. But with alot of people in a single game it will lag your connection and you wont be able to browse the internet / play games at the same time as the server is running.

The advantage of buying a server is that is is up 24/7. It has software specificly designed to support multiple connections and it has modules installed that would take forever for you to install yourself. Plus it is usually connected directly into the internet backbone so bandwidth and upload speeds are not a problem.