Who uses Ultralisks

Bangladesh

Reaction score
I mean, I was never able to use them for anything, they are good for killing infantry, but Lurkers are better. They can't beat reavers or siege tanks. I mean what exactly is their purpose? I mean they can slaughter marines and Firebats, but what about tanks man.

They can't fight air, they are late game, they cost a butt load, they are melee, they have no splash.

On the positive side, they are quick with upgrade, and have extremly high armor, not to mention they can dish out damage at the same rate as a non stimpacked marine, not to mention a butt load of hp.

Does anyone here use ultralisks and if so give me some advice on how to use these giant mofos.

Zerglite

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
they are tanks...

send about 6 ultras, then follow with a shitload of ranged units

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had fun mass dropping ultras and lings.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I've used them for:

Tanking an area then blasting the area with spells when the enemy is focusing it's primary attention on my Beefy Ultralisks.
Dropping them in a base when you've killed all the enemy's forces. Just watch then tear down the buildings.

How they compare to Siege Tanks depends how you uise them against Siege Tanks. If you can simply avoid that, with say, sapwn broodlings, then you won't need to worry. Best thing to do is create some sort of distraction and drop a couple of Ultralisks on the Siege Tanks. If they aren't grouped, the other tanks will help kill off the one you're killing, then you can get close enough to the other two where they can only shoot your other forces. :p

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
they are ultra-meat sheilds :)
ton of health and eventually get like what, 7 armor? more? They force your opponent to concentrate-fire on them while your other units slaughter them, meaning Lurkers and Hydras :)

Zerglite

Reaction score
ultras rape small units so hardcore... its not even funny

hi there marines... DEAD DEAD DEAD

hi there lings... doing 1 dmg to me?

DEAD

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I wish ultras were underused. Seriously, ultra/ling is such a 'GAY' strat.

Zerglite

Reaction score
Phoenix2003 said:
I wish ultras were underused. Seriously, ultra/ling is such a 'GAY' strat.
seriously.. the people who complain about strats are gay just because they arent smart enough to do this

* mass air * vs * ultras and ling*

hmm what will win.. *hah..*

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Show me a replay on a non-money map where you counter ultra/ling with mass air. TvZ or PvZ will do. Until then, stfu. That strat is ridiculously overpowered especially vs toss.(then again, the game is prolly already lost)

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Diatenshi said:
ultras rape small units so hardcore... its not even funny

hi there marines... DEAD DEAD DEAD

hi there lings... doing 1 dmg to me?

DEAD
Actually, lings can surround and shread a lone Ultralisk in no time. They may not do a lot of damage, but they attack fast and in numbers. It will add up faster then you might think. ;)

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Rarely will zvzs get to hive, but I agree with DarkMatter. Cracklings > Ultras.

PauseBreak

Reaction score
They are tanks and are used to take a lot of damage.
I use them in 'ling drops. I first drop the U'lisks to take the on comming fire, then drop my 'lings. It works quite well! Despite, fully upgraded U'lisks are very deadly.

And just like any Zerg unit, they work best in packs.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
swarm an area and send them in, they own quite well :)

i did that on UMS 9999 marine.

swarm his body and sent in lings to hold him off and then my ultras :) it was easy prey and my extra lings i would consume them

relnor

Member!
Reaction score
They are also great for taking out walls of protoss cannons, with hydralisks for anti-air support

Crimson-Shade

Member!
Reaction score
whenever i get that late in a game to make ultralisks, it's usually better to make a defiler for the gas cost or even guardians. a lot more positive uses (spells/attack range for guards) than a meat-shield.

i hardly ever see anyone use ultralisks, but not to say that they are not a definite plus for any ground force.

the main difficulty most zerg players find is balancing the gas costs of high-end zerg units once that hive is made. ultralisks are 200 gas (plus the almost mandatory upgrade in order for ultras to have any longetivity of 200 gas for speed), guards upgrade cost 100 gas (and you'll probably be making more than one in order for air-ground power to be effective not to mention upgrading spire into greater spire costing another 150? gas and the 100 gas cost of making the muta), defilers cost 150 gas along with 200 gas for plague and another 100 for consume, gas to make hydralisks and on top of all that gas to upgrade your units (like attack/defense and adrenal glands for lings)

so ultralisks get relegated to the last in the list of making zerg high-end units cuz there are just other units that are better once that hive is formed.

yeah....

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
When I played, I used Ultras for town guards, but just 1 or 2 at the entrence, that were backed up by a squad of hydras. If I had a easy game and a noob enemy I would make like 10 (after I massed everthing else) and send them and 2 squads of zerglings in their town to destroy their scv, drones, ect. Just for kicks.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i lik(ed) to use ultras as bluff. like when a terran player sends a ghost to scout my base, when i notice him at the entrence, ill send my 2-3 ultras after him before he gets too far in and sees i have no more than just those. SO then he goes Mass air. what do i do? Spore my base and mass lurkers and cracklings.

it worked well until i realize some terran knew how to group turrets+seige outside of my zerg base..

PauseBreak

Reaction score
If I was playing a noob I think I would just use U'lisks to scare the crap out of him. lol

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
They can be scary, since the newb would probably make something small then these huge bladed beats rampage his base and distroy everything in sight until he shits his pants and leaves the game or something.

Crimson-Shade

Member!
Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
They can be scary, since the newb would probably make something small then these huge bladed beats rampage his base and distroy everything in sight until he shits his pants and leaves the game or something.
lol! imagine that happening in a real game against anyone...