What the hell is this shit?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Ok, so my father installed Half-Life 2 in his computer (a good computer, but not connected to the Internet), and now they say he has to be connected in order to play the offline version? What stupidity is this? Is there any way to work it out without having to install a modem?

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Hmm, odd indeed, does the manual say anything about this?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Doesn't say how to handle. Simply says that you need Internet connection.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
You have to be connected to the net sadly. Valve was having piracy problems, and wanted to make it a bit harder for the pirates. They also disabled 20,000 Steam accounts that used a pirated version of Half-Life 2.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Well, a pity for them. And for me... My father's returning the game. Gah...

Biske

Reaction score
That's BS, so you HAVE to be online while you play it? What, so they can monitor your actions? F**k that.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Take it up with valve if you have a problem. www.steampowered.com/forums

The more you bitch, the more you get. Take the AWP exploit for example.(If you know anything about CS... that is) Anyway, I'm sure theres more that are really angry at valve, so if you post maybe they will ship some games that are not steam(net) dependent.

OMGLOLWTFPWN

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
They want you to use steam so you can't steal the game, because they have had big problems with piracy (source beta, condition zero exploits, etc.) They are being really careful because the source code for half-life 2 was stolen a while ago, and they don't want the game to be leaked out, or if it is they don't want people to be able to play it without buying it.

Zeroth

Member!
Reaction score
you only need to be online one time to have it checked. after they verify it, you can play all you want offline, unless a steam update is released. I saw a few people at a LAN party playing it when no one was there, everyone was eating at that time... and we didn't have internet!

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
If a steam update is released, that computer won't know it :p

Hmm, I think that might be arranged.

Zeroth

Member!
Reaction score
actually, an update is released every so often and the steam updater will know when the next update is supposed to be released, so you will need to get online only when an update is released

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
But how will it know? Does it require connection to check out in, let's say, 2 in 2 weeks?

That's even god damn dumber.

Hate hackers :(

Zeroth

Member!
Reaction score
updates to steam are released regularly. i don't know the intervals yet, but their is a pattern to the updates

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Wednesday is usually the update day for steam, and all of its games. Though they don't do it every week.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
that is so incredibly stupid to force it so only internet users can play a godamn game.

Biske

Reaction score
Yeah, um, that automatically makes it slip off my greatest games of all time list...or atleast moves down 2 or 3 notches.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Itwas never really high for me, I mean I liked the game alot when i tried it, but it didnt strike me as anything so amazing great. same with halo, they personaly werent that great

Biske

Reaction score
You know, I was thinkin that today also, that the two most anticipated games to come out, failed to reach the bar they set for themselves. I've heard that both didn't deliver as well on the story area, and really, after the first 2 weeks, I hardly hear anyone talking about Halo2 round at school. Same with HL2.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
everyone i know, who was all hyped about halo 2 couldnt shut up abut it. now I havent heard anytihg about the game from them. instead i hear about metal gear solid 3 from those who also have a PS2

Zeroth

Member!
Reaction score
thats because Halo 2 sucked because because...well...Halo sucks in general now compared to better games *cough*Half-Life 2*cough*

oh, and requiring internet is an antipiracy messure! sometimes you have to sacrifice to make sure piraters won't get the game

and all the PC gamers at my school are still talking about HL1 and HL2 because those are 2 of the best games ever! we mostly talk about what ifs for HL3 and HL2s expasion packs, pluss seeing if we might want to make a mod...