Undead vs. Typical Orc

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Unless I'm mistaken, from what I've seen replays of, the typical Orc uses FS/Grunts and adds TC/Raiders and sometimes wyverns. They aim to use ensnare to surround your hero and fiends and focus fire with grunts. They also use chainwave to drastically weaken your army.

I'm suggesting a strategy that someone might use to counter this, though I came up with this in theory.

BUILD ORDER:

Okay, so you are UD and start with a ghoul build. Get a LICH and place the point into Frost ARMOR. Creep against melee creeps with your ghouls and upgrade your necropolis ASAP.

Drop a graveyard if you haven't already and continue creeping. You should have the advantage thanks to the cheap FA that works against all his grunts and wolves.

At tier 2, drop 2 temples and a slaughterhouse. Pump about 5 banshees, 2 stats, 1 necro and 6 fiends. Send the ghouls back to wood. Upgrade web, burrow, banshee adept and later master. The necro is for summon a skeleton once in a while to get your mana back faster.

You can throw a DK in there, but he might take away valuable EXP for the Lich. His coil and aura can be useful.

If you see lots of grunts at tier 1, make plenty of banshees.
If you see only a few and a quick tech, focus more on fiends.

SKILL ORDER:

With your LICH, I suggest this skill order:
FA/DR/FN/DR/FN/FN/DD/FA/FA/DR

The reason is that FA is more effective in the beginning because it's cheap and you get a +3 armor boost. You slow down the attack speed as well as the movement speed of the melee attacker. You want to use this on your Lich and have him tank, while your ghouls rip them up.

I put FN later, because I only see it as really useful against wyverns. Not only are they stacked, so they take more damage, but all of them are slowed down. I chose DR over FN at level 4 because you could do a single level 2 FN against a horde of wyverns which DOES double the damage of a level 1, HOWEVER, the slow duration is NOT doubled, so it's better to have two level 1 FNs. Also, you have more mana and can choose between armor and nova.

The 1 necro is there, so you don't have to keep buying rods to use DR or to scout.

ANALYSIS:

LICH:

The Lich there to use FA on whoever orc decides to focus fire. Since orc is usually going to be using raiders/grunts/wolves, aka melee units, FA will always be effective. The reason I don't put more points into FA is that the next level does not decrease attack rate from level 1, but only adds 2 armor. Let's see, a +2 armor or a 150 damage AoE attack.

The Lich also counters wyverns as he attacks air and is great with a orb. You could try having wyverns chase the lich and nova them when they are bunched up.

BANSHEES:

Use banshees for 3 reasons. First, they actually have a better DPS vs. grunts than fiends. They only cost 2 food as well and they don't take 150% from grunts like fiends. Next, their curse ability increases the life of your army by 33%. Finally, AMS along with statues will nullify chainwave. At tier 3, if the orc is still going grunts/raiders, possess them, though stomp will be trouble.

FIENDS:

Fiends are their to counter everything else. Fiends WIN against raiders, believe it or not, because their attack only does 75% against raiders, BUT raiders only do 50% against fiends. If orc decides to bring wyverns, web will be needed and fiends do 200% more to them. Fiends also do 150% bonus damage against kodos.

STATS:

Finally, stats are their to keep the banshees cursing, AMSING and later, possessing. They also help your Lich with the FAs and novas.

SUMMARY:

Grunts/Wolves are countered by FA, curse, banshees.
Raiders are countered by FA, curse, fiends.
Wyverns are countered by FN, web, fiends, orb.
Chainwave is countered by AMS.

EXECUTION:

TIER 1:

Use FA on your Lich and creep melee creeps in the map with your ghouls, killing ranged units before melee ones. Avoid confrontation with the Orc, since your DPS isn't high and you have no unexpecting frost novas to surprise your opponent.

TIER 2:

Before engaging, apply AMS to everyone in your army.

If you have possession, turn curse autocast off. Have fiends act as a wall and possess the units that come near the wall.

If you don't have possession, keep autocast on.

Focus fire fiends on raiders. Focus fire banshees on grunts. Keep Lich and stats back. If Wyverns are focus firing, drag the victim back and FN the group, then web and FF with fiends.

BOTTOM LINE:

As you can see, this strategy is not meant for offensive play. It's about surviving against orc. If orc tries to attack your army, you have FA to slow down their attack AND add 3 armor, curse increases your life by 33%. AMS gives you 300 magic health and statues or blight items can boost more hp, in addition to burrow.

The strategy uses FA, curse, AMS, stats and burrow to try to win a war of attrition, defensively, against Orc.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
I haven't used orc in solo in a while, but I have found when I do I usally get a few demolishers with burning oil, and a few shaman instead of wyrven. lusted grunts would still rape the fiends with FA, while the demos rape the banshees.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Forged said:
I haven't used orc in solo in a while, but I have found when I do I usally get a few demolishers with burning oil, and a few shaman instead of wyrven. lusted grunts would still rape the fiends with FA, while the demos rape the banshees.
The point of this thread was against raider/grunt orc.

As for gruntapult, you are just asking UD to go roys. Roys do 200% extra along with AoE, by absorbing from stats to grunts and demolishers.

TheoStormhawk

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Revelade said:
Unless I'm mistaken, from what I've seen replays of, the typical Orc uses FS/Grunts and adds TC/Raiders and sometimes wyverns. They aim to use ensnare to surround your hero and fiends and focus fire with grunts. They also use chainwave to drastically weaken your army.

I'm suggesting a strategy that someone might use to counter this, though I came up with this in theory.

BUILD ORDER:

Okay, so you are UD and start with a ghoul build. Get a LICH and place the point into Frost ARMOR. Creep against melee creeps with your ghouls and upgrade your necropolis ASAP.

Drop a graveyard if you haven't already and continue creeping. You should have the advantage thanks to the cheap FA that works against all his grunts and wolves.

At tier 2, drop 2 temples and a slaughterhouse. Pump about 5 banshees, 2 stats, 1 necro and 6 fiends. Send the ghouls back to wood. Upgrade web, burrow, banshee adept and later master. The necro is for summon a skeleton once in a while to get your mana back faster.

You can throw a DK in there, but he might take away valuable EXP for the Lich. His coil and aura can be useful.

If you see lots of grunts at tier 1, make plenty of banshees.
If you see only a few and a quick tech, focus more on fiends.

SKILL ORDER:

With your LICH, I suggest this skill order:
FA/DR/FN/DR/FN/FN/DD/FA/FA/DR

The reason is that FA is more effective in the beginning because it's cheap and you get a +3 armor boost. You slow down the attack speed as well as the movement speed of the melee attacker. You want to use this on your Lich and have him tank, while your ghouls rip them up.

I put FN later, because I only see it as really useful against wyverns. Not only are they stacked, so they take more damage, but all of them are slowed down. I chose DR over FN at level 4 because you could do a single level 2 FN against a horde of wyverns which DOES double the damage of a level 1, HOWEVER, the slow duration is NOT doubled, so it's better to have two level 1 FNs. Also, you have more mana and can choose between armor and nova.

The 1 necro is there, so you don't have to keep buying rods to use DR or to scout.

ANALYSIS:

LICH:

The Lich there to use FA on whoever orc decides to focus fire. Since orc is usually going to be using raiders/grunts/wolves, aka melee units, FA will always be effective. The reason I don't put more points into FA is that the next level does not decrease attack rate from level 1, but only adds 2 armor. Let's see, a +2 armor or a 150 damage AoE attack.

The Lich also counters wyverns as he attacks air and is great with a orb. You could try having wyverns chase the lich and nova them when they are bunched up.

BANSHEES:

Use banshees for 3 reasons. First, they actually have a better DPS vs. grunts than fiends. They only cost 2 food as well and they don't take 150% from grunts like fiends. Next, their curse ability increases the life of your army by 33%. Finally, AMS along with statues will nullify chainwave. At tier 3, if the orc is still going grunts/raiders, possess them, though stomp will be trouble.

FIENDS:

Fiends are their to counter everything else. Fiends WIN against raiders, believe it or not, because their attack only does 75% against raiders, BUT raiders only do 50% against fiends. If orc decides to bring wyverns, web will be needed and fiends do 200% more to them. Fiends also do 150% bonus damage against kodos.

STATS:

Finally, stats are their to keep the banshees cursing, AMSING and later, possessing. They also help your Lich with the FAs and novas.

SUMMARY:

Grunts/Wolves are countered by FA, curse, banshees.
Raiders are countered by FA, curse, fiends.
Wyverns are countered by FN, web, fiends, orb.
Chainwave is countered by AMS.

EXECUTION:

TIER 1:

Use FA on your Lich and creep melee creeps in the map with your ghouls, killing ranged units before melee ones. Avoid confrontation with the Orc, since your DPS isn't high and you have no unexpecting frost novas to surprise your opponent.

TIER 2:

Before engaging, apply AMS to everyone in your army.

If you have possession, turn curse autocast off. Have fiends act as a wall and possess the units that come near the wall.

If you don't have possession, keep autocast on.

Focus fire fiends on raiders. Focus fire banshees on grunts. Keep Lich and stats back. If Wyverns are focus firing, drag the victim back and FN the group, then web and FF with fiends.

BOTTOM LINE:

As you can see, this strategy is not meant for offensive play. It's about surviving against orc. If orc tries to attack your army, you have FA to slow down their attack AND add 3 armor, curse increases your life by 33%. AMS gives you 300 magic health and statues or blight items can boost more hp, in addition to burrow.

The strategy uses FA, curse, AMS, stats and burrow to try to win a war of attrition, defensively, against Orc.

interesting strategy, but is very theoretical

here is how i counter it:
I just go grunts and riders, as many as possible I don't get dispel means, and as hero I use FS or BM.
U say about the statue that nullifyes the lightning chain, that it doesn't nulify the wolves wich inflict perfect damage versus you medium armored fiends, and hero, also without dark ritual your lich won't doo much.
Actually I think I understand your thinking, you say that frost armor will help the fiends to resist grunts attack, but this is not true, because u will never have that much frost armor, and also the cooldown of this spell is not so small you know.
Also if I see that u don't go destro imediately bloodlust comes into my mind, and your plan is in big danger.
About the possesion thing:
like u said if possesion is needed than curse must be stoped, so my army doesn't have this problem and it has usual damage rate, but when your banshees cast possesion will endure double damage and than lightning chain combined with well positioning attack is lethal for them.
AMS is stupid because like I said I mass grunts and riders, I don't really intend to cast bloodlust on your units :) and it will seriously affect your mana for curse or possesion, besides the orc race doesn't have buffs like the other races (slow, curse, faerie fire).

In the end I want to state that if u go casters with the UD at tier 2 you become weak, u really need the power of the tier 3 UD capabilities. Also the best UD hero is DK against any race beside UD himself. The lich is not good because frost nova or frost armor, at the start of the game will never compare (with the other intelligence heroes) with a summoned unit like water element or wolves, and he is left to endure direct physical damage not to mention that his spells costs pretty much mana. Frost nova is good because it affects masses of units and at the beggining of the game there are only few units.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
TheoStormhawk said:
interesting strategy, but is very theoretical

here is how i counter it:
I just go grunts and riders, as many as possible I don't get dispel means, and as hero I use FS or BM.
U say about the statue that nullifyes the lightning chain, that it doesn't nulify the wolves wich inflict perfect damage versus you medium armored fiends, and hero, also without dark ritual your lich won't doo much.
Actually I think I understand your thinking, you say that frost armor will help the fiends to resist grunts attack, but this is not true, because u will never have that much frost armor, and also the cooldown of this spell is not so small you know.
Also if I see that u don't go destro imediately bloodlust comes into my mind, and your plan is in big danger.
About the possesion thing:
like u said if possesion is needed than curse must be stoped, so my army doesn't have this problem and it has usual damage rate, but when your banshees cast possesion will endure double damage and than lightning chain combined with well positioning attack is lethal for them.
AMS is stupid because like I said I mass grunts and riders, I don't really intend to cast bloodlust on your units :) and it will seriously affect your mana for curse or possesion, besides the orc race doesn't have buffs like the other races (slow, curse, faerie fire).

In the end I want to state that if u go casters with the UD at tier 2 you become weak, u really need the power of the tier 3 UD capabilities. Also the best UD hero is DK against any race beside UD himself. The lich is not good because frost nova or frost armor, at the start of the game will never compare (with the other intelligence heroes) with a summoned unit like water element or wolves, and he is left to endure direct physical damage not to mention that his spells costs pretty much mana. Frost nova is good because it affects masses of units and at the beggining of the game there are only few units.
If you go grunts and riders, here's how I would handle it:

For the grunts, curse again makes them miss 33% of the time. Grunts have low DPS and if they are focus firing, again, I have frost armor.

As for the wind riders, orc players usually use them to focus fire on a hero or spider, so I would run the Lich or burrow the spider asap. As they chase my hero, they will bunch up and THAT'S when you use nova. Then we bring in spiders to web and fiends will do 200%, which is about 60 damage without upgrades. Of course it also depends on execution however.

I never said statues nullify chain lightning. AMS is the answer to that. It gives the wearer 300 magic hp.

Yes, wolves will do bonus vs. fiends, but burrow and frost armor can help against that.

I don't get your frost armor argument. Frost armor is only 40 mana and lasts for a good 45 seconds. It also has a cooldown of only 2 seconds and is easily replenished with dark ritual.

If you are going bloodlust, chances are, that you will drop lodges. As soon as I see one lodge, I'd get roys. Fiends do bonus against casters as well.

As for possession, you seem to forget that once the enemy is being possessed, they CAN'T attack. Also, to prevent chainwave, that's why I said keep AMS on BEFORE you fight the battle.

AMS was never there for casters or bloodlust. It's there to stop CHAINSTOMP, which rapes fiends.

UD power at tier 3? Frost wyrms? Bats will fry them. Roys? Bats again. Aboms? Laughably weak.

Frost armor is there because it IS cheap and will work 100% of the time against grunts/raiders AND it discourages focus firing.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well, I gave up on this strategy, but at least it sounded great. Also, grubby has said UDvOrc is imbalanced... in favor of Orc. I agree for the most part.

TheoStormhawk

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Revelade said:
Also, grubby has said UDvOrc is imbalanced... in favor of Orc. I agree for the most part.
No way man, maybe Grubby should be asked what he thinks about OC vs NE. I think that there is not a super undead player right now, I mean we have:
best orc: Grubby
best night elf: Spirit moon
best human: Insomnia
That madfrog dude was the best in my opinion, I haven't seen a player like that since him, not necessarily undead. If he wouldn't had renounced, I think him vs spirit moon would have had some super matches.
In fact, in my opinion the OC race is not imbalanced over any race. Let us remember this thread, unfortunately this is about favourite and not what people consider being the best race.
I consider the races ranking like this:
1: human
2: undead
3: night elf
4: orc

Hey Hellwof, has a best race poll been done until now?

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
How very interesting, I should try this myself when I get orc rushed. However, I feel that it's more worse when that lich is geting focused fire. Even with the 23% damage reduction, he will still take some pain.

TheoStormHawk said:
Hey Hellwof, has a best race poll been done until now?
Enough times already.