Unable to play custom games on bnet

HitokiriX

Reaction score
I'm been looking on the web for a solution to this problem for about a month now, and no one seems to be in the same situation as I am.

So I just got a new computer, and installed a copy of FT that I've been using for about 3 years now on it. I was able to get onto battlenet without a problem, get into chatrooms, and play arranged and standard games. However, if I try to play a custom game, the list of custom games is always completely blank. Also, after about 20 seconds I get kicked off battlenet with the message "your connection to battle.net has been lost". Then when I try to get back onto battlenet, it says that "the cd key you have provided is currently in use by MYNAME(0) (Reign of Chaos)". the MYNAME is the name that I put when I installed FT. I get this message for about 1 minute or 2, and then I am able to get onto battlenet again, but I still can't play custom games.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Any input would be appreciated!

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
Sometimes after a crash or disc you get this message. Press f5 many times in your desktop or eventually restart the PC as after such things it's like as if you're still in bnet or in war3.

The only reason for that is bad connection. Have you tried playing bnet ? You can check your ping or let others check it using a Banlist in Dota. There may be other ways to check it except for bots but I don't remember the command.

HitokiriX

Reaction score
well this problem happens everytime I enter bnet, and i restart my computer everyday. I'll check the ping on bnet, but i don't think that's the problem cuz I have absolutely no lag when I play original wc3 games on bnet. Bnet just seems to crash everytime I click on custom games.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Your problem seems strange. Is your internet running through a router?

HitokiriX

Reaction score
yeah i run through a router it's brand SMC, model WBR14G. There's a big chance this might be the problem now that I think about it, the problems seem to have started after my previous router died and I got this new one. I've already tried port forwarding ports 6112-6119 on the router, but that doesn't seem to have done anything. Maybe I'm forwarding it wrong? What other configurations of the router might be causing this problem?

ChrisH36

Reaction score
You must listen to Wc3 on Port 6112.

And you must be able to receive 6112-6119 with TCP/UDP. What should happen is your internet will listen on these ports using something called sockets, and it will retrieve the games it is hosting.

If you read my post on Battle.net ports, I explain what ports to open for all Blizzard games.

Other than that, except maybe Parental Controls or your new router needs tinkering. I don't see what other problem yuo have. It's the only logical explaination.

HitokiriX

Reaction score
on my router's configurations page there is a place where i can give access to "special applications". The page reads:

Special Applications

Some applications require multiple connections, such as Internet gaming, video conferencing, Internet telephony and others. These applications cannot work when Network Address Translation (NAT) is enabled. If you need to run applications that require multiple connections, specify the port normally associated with an application in the "Trigger Port" field, select the protocol type as TCP or UDP, then enter the public ports associated with the trigger port to open them for inbound traffic.

the lines i have to enter on the page are:
Trigger Port/s
Trigger Type
Public Port
Public Type

should the trigger and public type both be TCP/UDP? and what should i put under the trigger port/s and public port? 6112-6119 for both?

the router has already put in something on the special applications page for battlenet, however it doesnt' seem to have worked. the configuration looks like this:

Trigger Port/s: 6112 -
Trigger Type: TCP/UDP
Public Port: 4000,6112
Public Type: TCP/UDP

is that what it should be?

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Your menu is just like my D-Link router.

This is what I have for Battle.net:
Trigger Ports 6112-6119
Type: Both
Public Port: 4000, 6112-6119
Public Type: Both

And don't forget to enable them when you add them to the registry. Some people forget to do that.
4000 is used for Diablo II and some of the elements in Wc3.

HitokiriX

Reaction score
enable them when i add them to the registry? am i supposed to manually add these settings to the registry? or does the router do this for me? there is an enable checkbox in the Special Applications page so I'm assuming that's all I hafta click.

HitokiriX

Reaction score
i just tried opening up the ports for wc3, and it's still not working. i'm almost certain it's something to do with my router, but i dont' 'know what.

some of the settings that I think might be affecting wc3 are:
DDNS: disabled
UPnP: disabled
is there also the possibility that the router's firewall is blocking battlenet, even with the ports 4000, 6112-6119 open? would it work to put my ip address in the DMZ?

ChrisH36

Reaction score
enable them when i add them to the registry? am i supposed to manually add these settings to the registry? or does the router do this for me? there is an enable checkbox in the Special Applications page so I'm assuming that's all I hafta click.
Not the Windows Registry. The Registry for your Applications must have the Battle.net ports there.

And a firewall could definitly be a problem. Turn off Windows Firewall or your third party firewall program and see what develops. Personally, a well maintained router > firewall programs anyday.

HitokiriX

Reaction score
where would i find the registry for applications?

i tried disabling all of my firewalls today, including bitdefender, windows, and the router's. I still didn't see anything in the custom games list and was kicked off in about 30 seconds.

i am almost entirely sure that it's my new router that's causing problems. so far I have changed cd's, used different cd keys, and switched computers within my network but nothing seems to let me see custom games. What worries me more isn't the not seeing custom games, but the automatic kicking that follows. I've heard that this is caused by an information jam between the router and battlenet, but I don't know if this is the problem here. Is there anyway to test the ports on my router, or any other settings that might be causing my problem?

HitokiriX

Reaction score
i asked my dad if he had done anything different with the new router compared to the new router, and he said that he had enabled mac address filtering, enabled the new router's firewall, and put the new router behind a phone router. could any of these differences be causing the problem?

i am now 100% sure that it is my new router. I just bypassed the router by connecting my computer directly to the phone router, and i can play custom games WOOT! but now, no one else in the house can use the internet. does anyone have any idea as to what is going on with my router?