To all the people who have File Sharing Programs, READ this...

Lwek

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.Battleforums.com
I know that file sharing is illegal but it's hard to get arrested for it because it's not something that you can hold in your hands. So it's hard to get caught for downloading songs etc, off the internet.

Until This...

http://hardware.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/06282003a.php

If for some dumb reason you can't reach the site, here's what it says:

Music fans unphased by RIAA lawsuit threats
posted by Anonymous on June 27, 2003 @ 11:50pm

LOS ANGELES -- Music fans continued swapping songs over the Internet, though a bit more cautiously, following the recording industry's threat this week to sue anyone engaged in digital piracy.
The warning appeared to have little effect on the pace of downloading over the most popular file-sharing services. But the threat drew the ire of many fans, driving speculation that it could ultimately backfire and encourage a new crop of file-sharing services capable of keeping users anonymous.

Filetopia already promises that, and another, called Blubster, will launch Monday.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), which represents the major recording companies, said it would file several hundred lawsuits against individuals within eight to 10 weeks seeking financial damages of as much as $150,000 per copyright song.

In the past, the industry went after the file-sharing services themselves, succeeding in closing pioneer Napster. But newer services such as Grokster and Morpheus have managed to dodge the courts so far by decentralizing their systems and arguing that they had no control over users.

The RIAA hopes that by going after users directly, it can end the rampant piracy blamed for a three-year slump in music sales. Nonetheless, use of file-sharing services appeared virtually unchanged Friday.

Kazaa, the most popular software for file sharing, saw a significant decline in user traffic during the first 10 hours following Wednesday's announcement by the RIAA. But traffic bounced back within 24 hours.

From Wednesday afternoon to Friday morning, the number of users signed on to the FastTrack network -- the system that supports Kazaa and Grokster -- fluctuated between 3.4 million and 4.4 million, according to figures reported by Kazaa.

"The numbers have been consistent-to-normal fluctuation," said Richard Chernela, a spokesman for Kazaa parent Sharman Networks.

Grokster saw downloads increase Thursday between 5 and 10 percent, said company President Wayne Rosso.

Recording industry officials said Friday that they don't expect their campaign to produce change overnight.

"We are committed to communicating the message that offering copyrighted music online is illegal," said RIAA spokeswoman Amy Weiss. "It hurts artists, songwriters and everyone else who brings music to the public, and we will hold those who engage in this activity accountable."

For now, many users of file-sharing services said they were taking some precautions, but remained undeterred.

"I don't think that I trade in the volumes that they would be interested in," said Alec Cumming, 24, a Los Angeles film restorer who estimates he has 200 downloaded songs on his computer. "If they really went after me, I would pretty likely stop. I'm not making any money off of it."

Gigi Sohn, president of Public Knowledge, a Washington-based advocacy group on technology and copyright issues, said the industry risks consumer backlash if it sues "every Tom, Dick and Harry with a handful of songs."

$150,000! I'll probably go download songs in September, when they don't expect it.:lucifer This probably won't stop you guys, unless it does...

TweaK

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, their going to charge me...
204,600,000$??

I said It once, I'll say it again.
**** The RIAA, **** the MPAA, **** them up their little goat asses.

Bag

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.xanga.com
Hmm.. i owe about 190 million dollars sweet :)

By the way i dont think their gonna do shit about anything unless you have like 10000000 songs on your comp.

amrtin77

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i heard about that a few days ago.... ive stopped downloading since then :) i cant afford that! what about movies downloaded?! i think what they will do is take random people and make them pay to scare the rest of us. im sure it'll work too :(

TweaK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just don't share. They can't enter your computer if you don't allow them to ;)
*yes this means leaching :()

Misterwhippy

Member!
Reaction score
Move all your music to an unshared folder, they won't target you if you only have a few songs in your shared folder at a time.