Thinking about getting back into gfx..

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Was wondering what the best 3D rendering progam to use is?

I used to mettle with Bryce 5, but that's outdated. I heard Maya and Lightwave are good. What do you guys recommend?

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
C4d, bryce, phototshop.

ALL U EVER NEED FOO

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
3Ds Max - Used in many video game designs. Better with low polygon animation, and has great plugins. (US$3500)

Blender - comparable Maya, 3ds Max, or Cinema 4D, and is available for free.

Cinema 4D - Light program, easier to use.

form-Z - Used for interior design and modeling similar in nature ($1495-$2390)

Houdini - Large studio program which is mainly used for animating visual effects.($17,000)

LightWave 3D - Weaker modeling and animating, but has a high ease of use. (US $795)

Maya - Most popular for movies/TV studios etc. Probably one of the most difficult animation programs to learn, but impressive and powerful.
Note: Used to animate the television series Southpark, which has been described as "building a sand castle with a bulldozer."

Modo - Modeling, texturing and rendering tool. (895$)

Silo - Modeler, but lacks any rendering capabilities ($109)

Softimage|XSI - Similar to Maya

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I used to use Lightwave a lot in high school, I like it.

Pan, tell me more about this "Blender"?

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Blender is a really good free polygon modeller. If you want to try modelling without paying anything, just go download it. If you like it I'd suggest getting Maya or Modo or Silo.

I think Modo is like 99 bucks if you're a student, which is pretty sweet. I use Maya for modelling even though Modo is supposed to be better. And if you just want to model, Maya's interface will probably be confusing as hell.

And if you seriously want to get into "gfx" please learn some ****ing design basics. I'm sick of critiquing art and no one knowing what I'm talking about.