The United States.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cultural friction
In the winter of 2002-2003, the derogatory phrase "cheese-eating surrender monkeys", once used on The Simpsons television program in 1995 to refer to the French, became popular in certain Washington, DC circles. National Review contributor Jonah Goldberg claimed credit for making the term known. Many US commentators and politicians, including Andy Rooney on the television program 60 Minutes, characterized the French as being ungrateful for opposing U.S. foreign policy after U.S. soldiers fought to liberate France from Nazi Germany during World War II. Bumper stickers were produced in the United States which jokingly called for the United States to invade: "Iraq first, France next!", and "First Iraq, then Chirac!".

On March 11, 2003, the cafeteria menus in the three United States House of Representatives office buildings changed the name of french fries to freedom fries in a culinary rebuke of France stemming from anger over the country's opposition to the U.S. position on Iraq. French toast was also changed to freedom toast. (During World War I, in a similar move, attempts were made to replace the word sauerkraut with the term liberty cabbage, French toast replaced German toast as the popular term for that dish, hamburger replaced with Liberty Sandwich, and frankfurter with hot dog, in menus and in popular speech; only the latter was successful.) Most Europeans, and a sizable number of Americans, dismissed these name changes as "gimmickry". Besides, the rebuke went amiss, since the term "French Fries" is not used in French -- in France, "French" fries are credited to Belgium.

Congressman Billy Tauzin from Louisiana, the only Cajun in the House of Representatives, removed the French language section of his official website because of anti-French sentiment. Congressman Roy Blunt began using jokes which alleged that the French were cowards.

It was also reported that many Americans purchased great quantities of French wine and poured it out on the streets instead of drinking it. Many, even other protesters, have noted that no matter what one does with the wine, buying it still provides money for those who produced it. In that regard it could be called an anti-protest, despite being an unintentional one.

Boycott
Many voices on the right in America called for a boycott of French products, but its effect was negligible. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in February 2004, the United States imported $2.26 billion in French goods and services, up from $2.18 billion in February 2002.[4] (http://www.amon-hen.com/archives/000171.html) However, the president of IC&A Inc, a business that imports only French products, reported demand fell in the vicinity of 40% to 50% from February 2003 levels.

Calls for boycott largely focused on products deemed typically French – wines, bottled water (Evian and others), lingerie and luxury items. These constitute a small minority of French trade, whereas lesser-profile products such as aircraft (Airbus...), machinery and chemicals account for a larger share. This may explain the above discrepancy.

On April 27, 2004, Bill O'Reilly claimed that the American boycott of French products was successful; "They've lost billions of dollars in France according to The Paris Business Review". However, it was revealed that The Paris Business Review is a non-existent publication, and O'Reilly has been widely derided for the false claim ([5] (http://mediamatters.org/items/200407080001), [6] (http://www.parisbusinessreview.com/), [7] (http://www.parisbusinessreview.net/))

One interesting point about these anti-French boycotts is that their proponents actually pretended to do significant harm to the French economy, the fourth or fifth largest in the world, just by boycotting exports of specialty French products to the United States and American tourism to France. This may be related to old American stereotypes of France, dating from the end of the Second World War, as an undeveloped country whose only significant products are wines and luxury items.

[edit]
Anti-French sentiment reactions
Reaction to anti-French sentiment in the US was a tenor of the anti-war protest in Montreal, Quebec on March 15, 2003, and may have been partially responsible for that city's 200,000-strong turn-out, being one of the largest of that day's worldwide protests (see Anti-Iraq war protests). Recurring protests in Montreal continue to be the largest in North America
Next point you asked me to prove is that America says "don't **** with us". Here it is in the words of Bush in his State of the Union.

America is on the offensive against the terrorists who started this war. Last March, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, a mastermind of September the 11th, awoke to find himself in the custody of U.S. and Pakistani authorities. Last August the 11th brought the capture of the terrorist Hambali, who was a key player in the attack in Indonesia that killed over 200 people. We're tracking al Qaeda around the world, and nearly two-thirds of their known leaders have now been captured or killed. Thousands of very skilled and determined military personnel are on the manhunt, going after the remaining killers who hide in cities and caves, and one by one, we will bring these terrorists to justice. (Applause.)

As part of the offensive against terror, we are also confronting the regimes that harbor and support terrorists, and could supply them with nuclear, chemical or biological weapons. The United States and our allies are determined: We refuse to live in the shadow of this ultimate danger. (Applause.)

The first to see our determination were the Taliban, who made Afghanistan the primary training base of al Qaeda killers. As of this month, that country has a new constitution, guaranteeing free elections and full participation by women. Businesses are opening, health care centers are being established, and the boys and girls of Afghanistan are back in school. With the help from the new Afghan army, our coalition is leading aggressive raids against the surviving members of the Taliban and al Qaeda. The men and women of Afghanistan are building a nation that is free and proud and fighting terror -- and America is honored to be their friend. (Applause.)

Since we last met in this chamber, combat forces of the United States, Great Britain, Australia, Poland and other countries enforced the demands of the United Nations, ended the rule of Saddam Hussein, and the people of Iraq are free. (Applause.)
As for the afraid part, I have already addressed that.

I believe this has done what you've asked.

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Tipsy said:
I respect Russia, I'm just pointing out Kuzmich is not representing Russia well and not representing their policies well either. Surprisingly enough, I actually do know something about Russia and I'm not saying "OMFG WE PWN U WTF", I'm just saying that Kuzmich isn't what the Russian government's policies say. There is no point in even bashing Russia as a country because all it does is stereotype the country. If I offended anyone who is Russian I'm sorry, that was only intended to be directed at Kuzmich.
You haven't even offended me, exept that your ignorance annoyed me a little and you don't seem to know much about our policies at all. I live here, i know what my people want and they want to see a america screw up, we hate you, well most of us anyways. Most of us still view you as enemies. Of course we aren't gonna show it on the international level we aren't stupid. I am probably the only Russian on this forums who lives in Russia so you shouldn't bother appologizing.

It just pisses me off how you americans seem to think that once you won Cold War and spread your filth of democracy on my nation we proud Russian people would just move on. The thing is we won't, we will always remember what evil you did to us and we will pay you back, one day.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
First of all to Tronga Monga you cant just "buy" mustard gas
Long ago the U.S were friends with Iraq and Hussein, we gave him chemical weapons and what not to do our dirtywork, after a while he started attacking the wrong people, and this is when our outlook changed.

lol, Kick our ass? What time period our you living in
The time period in which starwars failed and everyone and their mother has nukes I guess.

Kamikaze

Respected Member
Reaction score
i was going to post my opinion in this thread, but after having read through the nonsensical crap i've lost all hope in humanity and have decided that my time would be better spent teaching monkeys to type so they can take dreamcrusaders place giving him more time to kiss bushs ass.

dreamcrusader

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Kuzmich said:
Oh we are living in this time period and yes EU can kick your ass, if Russia wanted we could nuke your ass and hope that our superior anti-missile defenses hold. So yes we can kick your ass, Bush started a conflict in Iraq which is nothing but an unjust war and all it accomplished was do damage to world economy and caused terrorist attacks in countries like Spain, and there were no terrorist attacks by Arabs in Spain before the war. Basically you gave Muslim terrorists a reason to hate not only you but also other peoples, and that is all you did, there were no good moments about that war.

I honestly doubt your country would do anything to us right now. We have nukes to, and its obvoius you are just bitter becasue we beat you at the weapons race. Your country is "just" starting to pick up on its crashed economy so dont even say you could fund a war agianst us. Heres a great artical on your economy at this point: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1998/09/crisis.russia/overview/

Bottom line: Just becasue you think you could beat America dosent mean your political leaders can. I think they are more worried on getting your country back on track to try and fight us.

And to Tipsy, thank you for posting those "proof" statements to the unbelivable oblivious Iliaran who must be living under a rock.

"Stop repeating the same BS over and over again and start trying to prove some of it."

You want me to prove that? Its called the "War in Iraq" at the moment.

I feel like pulling a Iliaran on this one"

"and yes, i believe in lies. in fact, all us liberals do."

What facts do you have to prove that?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
First of all to Tronga Monga you cant just "buy" mustard gas
You couldn't just go to war without the UN agreement either... The Iraq was not the little store in the corner of the street. It was a country, a big country, a country with money (oil), and thus able to buy anything they want. Nukes? Sure, have them. Rubber duck? Why not? Bush has one anyway. Mustard gas? $1000 per liter, here you go.

Don't tell me you can't just buy mustard gas, it's actually probably easy, if you know how to activate the appropriate channels.

dreamcrusader

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Wow, the UN is perrty corrupt in the 1s place. Theres been wars without the UN. You dont have to go to the UN to ask permission to go to war. You ask for help. And the UN was the one that made the 17 rules after the Gulf War agians Saddam that he never fllowed. Shows how seroius they are.

And I dont know were your getting all this nuke shit. Iraq never bought nukes and you cant just "buy" mustard gas. I doubt there is very little if any industry of the sort other than small amounts that might be on the Black Market.

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dreamcrusader said:
I honestly doubt your country would do anything to us right now. We have nukes to, and its obvoius you are just bitter becasue we beat you at the weapons race. Your country is "just" starting to pick up on its crashed economy so dont even say you could fund a war agianst us. Heres a great artical on your economy at this point: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1998/09/crisis.russia/overview/

Bottom line: Just becasue you think you could beat America dosent mean your political leaders can. I think they are more worried on getting your country back on track to try and fight us.
How many times do i have to repeat myself and tell you that if we had another Patriotic war then money wouldn't matter to anyone. Do you think during WW2 Russian factory workers, or soldiers were paid in money? No they weren't and they didn't care thats how strong was the feeling of patriotism. My point is, if we start a second patriotic war then no one in Russia would care about getting paid for their work, they would be happy with getting food for it.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
dreamcrusader said:
Wow, the UN is perrty corrupt in the 1s place. Theres been wars without the UN. You dont have to go to the UN to ask permission to go to war. You ask for help. And the UN was the one that made the 17 rules after the Gulf War agians Saddam that he never fllowed. Shows how seroius they are.

And I dont know were your getting all this nuke shit. Iraq never bought nukes and you cant just "buy" mustard gas. I doubt there is very little if any industry of the sort other than small amounts that might be on the Black Market.
United Nations, does that mean anything to you? U.S. is in charge of it as far as I know it.

So what are you saying? U.S. is strong, they can take Europe by themselves, so I assume they can take whole earth by themselves? You remind of a friend I had back in Elementary, he had just graduated Special Education in U.S. and came to Canada. He was pretty damn retarded, but I guess thats how it is in U.S., so many people from U.S. thinks American can take over the whole world.

And What war in Iraq? I thought it was oil stealing in Iraq? Did I miss something?

Just like what Kuzmich said, I can easily say Korea will be strongest nation in Asia, when N. Korea and S. Korea comes together, of course, there will be massive economic problems there for sure, but think about those soldiers! S. Korea by themselves have more ground soldiers than U.S. (if you have internet, I have library books, which is produced FROM U.S.)

This isnt elemantary school recess Dreamcruiser, where you can fight each other and strongest wins, this is global community, where we should all try to minimize the wars happening in the world.

Kamikaze

Respected Member
Reaction score
dreamcrusader said:
Iraq never bought nukes and you cant just "buy" mustard gas. I doubt there is very little if any industry of the sort other than small amounts that might be on the Black Market.
way to contradict yourself genius.

the rest of us can leave the thread, dreamcrusader can debate against himself for the next week or so with posts like that :D

dreamcrusader

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Kamikaze said:
way to contradict yourself genius.

the rest of us can leave the thread, dreamcrusader can debate against himself for the next week or so with posts like that :D

I mean in the sufficiant quanities that could be used as an effectible weapon. I dont know if its on the black market but Ill asume there might be some. I meant you cant just say I think im going to go to the store today and buy some mustard gas. It has to be conducted in secret. Since its illegal that is.

Iliaran

Member!
Reaction score
Its called the "War in Iraq" at the moment.
and just wtf does that prove? dum*a**.

I'll pull a 'dreamcrusader' for a sec here:
I caan likc my ebloow! tdher's ur pwoof! Ahhaha! oh, and teh skie is blu! dat provs it to!

dum*a**.

Here's a template even someone as stu*id as you can use:
'A' is 'B', and therefore 'C' is 'D'. (based on the assumption that A=B proves that C=D is true, where A and B tend to be facts and C and D tend to be arguments.

(note to Tipsy: I 'will' reply to your post as soon as I have the time to.)

oh, and why are we still arguing here?

This pretty much sums everything up:
dreamcrusader said:
I dont know

Sakuhta

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Most young people who are against Bush just think they're being rebels by voting against the current authority figure and think they actually mean something when they talk about how bad the war was, when in reality they know nothing about politics or what either candidate stands for.

dreamcrusader

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Iliaran said:
and just wtf does that prove? dum*a**.

I'll pull a 'dreamcrusader' for a sec here:
I caan likc my ebloow! tdher's ur pwoof! Ahhaha! oh, and teh skie is blu! dat provs it to!

dum*a**.

Here's a template even someone as stu*id as you can use:
'A' is 'B', and therefore 'C' is 'D'. (based on the assumption that A=B proves that C=D is true, where A and B tend to be facts and C and D tend to be arguments.

(note to Tipsy: I 'will' reply to your post as soon as I have the time to.)

oh, and why are we still arguing here?

This pretty much sums everything up:

LOL. Since you have nothing to point out you have to rely on your "great" sense of humor. And the war in Iraq goes to show other countries that we dont **** around when you **** around with us. There scared because of it. But you must not be able to read that well so ill try and draw a picture for you.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
Iliaran proved and argued absolutely nothing with that post..

Iliaran

Member!
Reaction score
I argue that dreamcrusader can't argue.

dum*fuc*, ad hominem = not a valid argumentative strategy.

And the war in Iraq goes to show other countries that we dont **** around when you **** around with us. There scared because of it.
Are you retar*ed ?

Premise(s):
1) The US (and a bunch of other countries) invaded Iraq

Your conclusion:
1) "There [in reference to other countries out there] scared because of it."

your logic is flawed.

and Sakuhta, if you're not going to contribute to this discussion, don't bother posting. kthx.

dreamcrusader

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My logic is flawed? Maybe you should get your head out of a Michal Moore film and look at the real world. Then you would see what Im saying. kthx

Iliaran

Member!
Reaction score
i give up. this is hopeless...heck...id probably have better luck talking to a brick wall.

B~E

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dreamcrusader said:
My logic is flawed? Maybe you should get your head out of a Michal Moore film and look at the real world. Then you would see what Im saying. kthx
See, this is the frustrating about you. You just keep saying those great things like "liberal are pussies", or " you deluded fools live in a dream world" without backing yourself up with anything to argue over.

And about my argument concerning the paradox of democracy in foreign culture, remember, it was the first or second post in the topic, it has yet do be argued over. Does that mean that you agree with me on the fact that the US mission is doomed ? Or is your silence just a way of saying outloud "I dont know" ?

phreakerhaxxor said:
Thanks dreamcrusader for pointing out lots of facts that saved me typing.
Kuzmich, there were WMD'S in Iraq, im sorry but its true someday you have to realize that.
Oh yhea ? well im sorry but some day you'll have to prove it.

He killed his own people with mustard gas. To those liberals who are too scared to know what it means. It's not what you put on your hotdog in gas form.
He killed is own people ? unless your country actualy go after all the dictators who kill their own people, this argument is tainted by your ignorance, and stink the hypocrisy of your leaders. And as such, it is void and should never be used again.
But you will.

When we flew planes over Iraq i don't think those were fireworks being shot at our planes.
And im sure firework would be what you'd shoot at iraky planes violating your airspace.

Do you think we didn't ask saddam to see his chemical weapons facilitys? We asked 72 times. Till Bush came along and kicked all their asses that is. They're scared to have a such a man that can stand up to them as our president. Because they could tell Clinton to shut the **** up real well.
Your moron president managed to go at war against Irak, and to undertake the impossible and doomed task of implementing democracy all alone, and you praise him for that !?

Your president didn't gloriously undetook an Herculian duty by himself against all odd and opinion, he ****ing failed to bring allies with him damnit ! not to have a coalition to share the burden of war with you is a failur, a God damn costly failur !
But you somehow manage to blind yourself with a childish, circular, abyssial argument to convince you that its somehow manly or glorious. But your just stabbing your own eyes with the knife of patriotism, in order not to see the next lies you'll gladly shallow from your leader. People like you are at the center of some sort of political glory hole. After all, you must find it easier to suck and swallow if you can't see the one ****ing you, isn' it ?

Tipsy said:
I personally like Bush for pretty much an opposite position on this. Bush doesn't care what most of the world thinks. He does what he thinks is the best thing for the United States regardless of what it means. I agree with the war on terror, including the war in Iraq. Bush said that we're going into Iraq because it a front for terrorism.
First of all, let me state here that I was agaisnt the war on Irak in the sense that it shouldn't have been started on shaky, doubtable arguments, and I was agaisnt the war on terror because we all know that war on words achieve nothing (war on poverty, war on drugs), But I am still majorly in farvor of both, because, like any individual, I whant the USA to win, whatever imperialist plans they have for the midle-east, if they have any, rather than to lose, with all the negative conseqences that would follow.

Secondly, while I respect your opinion concerning Bush's attitude, and wont argue agaisnt it, I'll just point out that he certainly didn't give much thought about the US' safety when he went after Irak without many significant allies, while having succesfully alienated his country from the international community. Its extremly dangerous, and will make the price of failiur, and event victory, extremly high. High enough to make you wonder, in a few years, if it was all worth it.

"Regardless of whatever is fact or fiction about the last statement there is one thing that you can see. After "Operation Iraqi Freedom" Iraq has become the front for terrorism. It has taken the big bulls eye off the civilian population in the United States and moved it onto the soliders of the United States in Iraq. "

Well, im very sorry, and I'm saying this in a polite manner, but I'm not certain I undestand what you mean in that last statement. Could you please reformulate it or develope it for the sake of discussion ? I mean, so what if Bush changed the focus of the public opinion to Irak, what did this achieve, what is your point ? Was there one :)
Sorry again.