The somewhat abridged history of bnet hacking

Tanktaynium

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Quite frankly, a good article. This will answer all your questions on bugged/illegal items that we all love. This article is from a site that knows it stuff, so it is true. I know alot of you will not believe it, but its true. I personally don't have any proof on this, and I know alot of you will be like "show me some proof" etc etc. This information is all true, and actually makes sense. I didn't write this article.

Okay, so how did they do it?

A theory that it was a Blizz employee adding items to an accounts, are false. There has been a lot of speculation on whether or not they were imported from Open to Closed. Well it is true.
In April they were able to get open players into the bugged games, so that they could create new items on the realms. Since the bugged games were unable to save for some characters, the open character could come in, drop and leave without detection. The hole was sealed in April when they were tipped off by a programmer who remained anonymous. It wasn't until 6 months later that it was discovered and confirmed that it had happened
To be able to use an open character it was necessary to understand how the out-of-game packets worked. The exploit allowed open characters to get into a game by sending an out-of-game packet as it joined the game. In using the non-saving games, the realm server was not connected to the game, and therefore it didn't drop the player like a hot potato, it allowed entry.
When the code was vulnerable it worked like this:
============= BUGGED GAME ===========================
Player A - saving character holding the game
Player B - nonsaving character
Player C - Open character

Players D and above - in an out for muling the goods
==================================================
===

They obviously worked more than one at a time, but this is just a simple explanation of the process of doing it.
Player A always had to be there to save the game, and they would have run some sort of script to keep it active. Player B was capable of rejoining and dropping the items over and over again. Player C was brought in, sending a packet when joining the game and was accepted by the realm server. Players D and above were saving characters that came and took the stuff out.
Now when you had Player C - the open character - enter the game, you then imported the inventory onto the realm. With Character b - the nonsaving character - you could empty and inventory and stash, leave and do the same. A rinse and repeat, and you can fill entire accounts with whatever you want. It would have made more sense to have more than one nonsaving character coming in and out, but this is just a bare bones operation.

Why can't this be done anymore

Blizzard was tipped off by someone that I am not privy to their name. After testing on their own, they found on that indeed you can send that packet to get the realm server to accept them into the game. From there, it was a patch to put and end to the whole thing. It's really been gone that long, since early May
There was a system put in place that automatically flagged anyone attempting to do the same thing, and as a result, they get tagged/banned. You can attempt to join a open game on a closed realm ip, but all you are getting is the illusion of getting there. Once you are in a closed game, the realm server sends you the information on your character. That's the huge sanity check. You cannot tell the game who you are, it must tell you.
During the non-saving games, some people did not connect to the realm server, and were therefore allowed to say "I exist in this game". This open door allowed Open characters to say "I exist in this game and so do all of the items on my character". When the exploit was patched, non-saving characters could still say "I belong in this game" but open characters never had the chance. The door had been sealed shut.

Really, can't you do it anymore?

If you want to try, go right ahead, but you'll come back to this and say "Ok, i give up." Without the 2 qualifications of 1) a bugged game and 2) the server accepting that packet, it is impossible to repeat this.

How did they figure this out?

The only way to have learned this is to work on their own server and researched and developed this, as with many other hacks. The person responsible for it, kept up to date with all blizzard patches, so that it could be developed at the same rate. The server used was d2gs - Diablo 2 Game Server, and the prominent thing about choosing that, is it uses D2Client dll's that are illegal in most countries.

Why should anyone believe you?

Without revealing anyone's names, let me offer up some of my icq logs.
April 10, 2002
"...with my own server, i have found lots of bugs such as duping, crashing, even uploading..."
"...'uploading' here means you can make a open character into closed character..."
"...and you can make any items and then upload it if you like ..."
April 12, 2002
"...i never play on battle.net, but i think i am the richest player in all realms ..."

January 2003
"...There was a bug last year where the server accepted the character packet that an open game sent. It never should have done so, and I fixed it as soon as it was brought to my attention..."

So who found this out?

I retain his identity, mainly for the fact that I have not spoken to him regarding all the information that was collected and melded together. He's been around for a while, and has been an integral part of D2Hacking. I won't say more, it's just not right, but know that he plays a big role, despite the fact that he appears to be inactive

What else can you tell me?

Lots of research went into discovering who were the main suppliers for the eBay market. It is amazing how much was collected.
Name: Zheren(first) Zheng(last)
Address: Building 28 Tsinghua University Beijing China
ZipCode: 100084
Description: Height 177CM, Black Eyes, Black Hair, Yellow Skin
Permanent Phone #: *withheld*
Cell Phone #: *withheld*
Idling/chatting account on USWest: Smth_trade
Duping account on USWest: Temp-Work
Zheng worked with one partner, and from there, he began to sell the method. It is reported that it was sold to German brothers for no less than $10,000, one of each controlled the USEast and USWest realms alongside with Zheng and his partner.

Are you positive this cannot be done anymore?

The eBay suppliers are not "supplying" fresh stock. Anything they have is based on the last dupe. I'll go as far as saying that the Player Not Found issue has affected them as well. Just watch eBay and you can see what I mean.
The only reason we see the surge in white rings, gauntlets and hexing charms is that they got out to the public, and people duped them in the last gold dupe. They are not new, just new to most people.

jordanwar1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well done nicely put. but this will not end any questions form noobs asking how to make buged items cause they never read any post

I am sure some creative mind will find out how to bug a game soon or someone already does know and is being smart by keeping it a secret

lexigirl

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
this is GREAT!
i was speculating, but unsure for quite some time, i think ill add this to my web site way to go Tanktaynium

steve02121

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i always suspected something of that sort. but how many more of these bugged items do they have stashed away?! i mean sometimes if im bored and i c a advertisment in the chatroom for a website thats sounds interesting sometimes i might go to the site just c wut it looks like.

i mean i went to d2vault 2day cuz they said they has like a 1000 ed bow and im like wtf so i went there 2 c it and they had a whole lota bugged items with over 1000ed for closed bnet, AND they said they were sellin a fuse hack on there for 70 bucks. is this true or just a fake? and are they sure they fixed that open/closed bnet problem. cuz if this is new stufff then hacking is gettin out of hand. its alright with a couple stuff but this will eventually wreck the whole game and turn into d1 if it keeps goin at this rate in about a couple months.