The reason BattleForums isn't as good as before is because everyone has grown up

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
§tar§oft said:
OH NO OTHER PEOPLE DID IT TO ME SO I HAVE TO DO IT TO OTHERS!

Grow up.

Just because other people did it, doesn't mean it's not a problem and that it doesn't affect people not joining.
No ****ing kidding.
Mike is the only person on this forum who hasn't grown a day sense he joined.
he seems to be getting worse.
anyway, back in the day, the members were nicer, they did care more, in the d2 section anyway.

Zmoney

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I think I was 15 when I get here, and now I am 18 about to be 19.

You are right my friend. Most of us have grown up.

Another thing is that I am just to busy to post, I am a full time student, I work 35 hours a week, I work out and play sports, Girlfriend, and friends. That leaves little time for starcraft and battleforums.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
Another thing is that I am just to busy to post, I am a full time student, I work 35 hours a week, I work out and play sports, Girlfriend, and friends. That leaves little time for starcraft and battleforums.
I think that plays a huge part in it. I joined when I was 16, highschool was a breeze and I didn't have a job. My social life also was not quite as much fun because I couldn't stay out and get drunk to at all hours of the night. Now that I am a full time student and worker I tend to enjoy my free time with my friends and a few beers. I would imagine most of the old members are like that.

Reaction score
Website
www.visualdesigncore.com
Forged said:
I think that plays a huge part in it. I joined when I was 16, highschool was a breeze and I didn't have a job. My social life also was not quite as much fun because I couldn't stay out and get drunk to at all hours of the night. Now that I am a full time student and worker I tend to enjoy my free time with my friends and a few beers. I would imagine most of the old members are like that.
i joined when i was like 13 or 14, im going to turn 19 this year and be off to college.

Hell, i had a high pitched voice until i was maybe 15 or 16 and still didnt care for getting too shitfaced. Now, well i'd much rather be out on my weekends than on battleforums or a game :)

Hitsua

+
Reaction score
14-15 maybe, I don't think you were 13...

You were the one who lied about their age to get a spot weren't you

:D

Reaction score
Website
www.visualdesigncore.com
Hitsua said:

im ashamed of nothing :)

but yeah, i was 13 just about to hit 14, pretty sure i know my age. And yeah, i did lie about my age at the start, so what? Its not like im at all ashamed of who i was, i just just a kid who wanted to moderate at a forum he called his hobby.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
May as well make a big post then.

Firstly, the fact that this thread filled up quickly shows that you do care about the forums after all. That's something.

And to all of you:

Big-Fat-Homo said:
I agree, and that's why I made a solemn promise to never grow up. You're right though, many of the older members have either gone away or do almost nothing but flame. But, what can we possibly do?
Change our ways, simply. There are probably only two people that have actually joined and stayed in the General section recently for a while now, I won't mention names, but I've tried subliminally hard to keep them. That used to be my goal, anyway, because I was always afraid that this forum would outgrow itself, and I wanted to see if anyone would continue the reigns. Sad thing is, I am continuing to do it. :(

Auron said:
Blizzforums is coming back.

I came young too and then grew up, cool eh!
Without all its posts, did you know? Their entire posts table is screwed up, meaning they have to start again. True, they have the Legacy Network to help. But they are without 1,000,000 posts and that means quite a lot of building up to do.

Warp said:
you can't turn back time.
Are you sure about that? Einstein said it's possible...

Big-Fat-Homo said:
I think World of Warcraft ruined it. Take out the WoW section.
World of Warcraft benefited all the Blizzard forums, just not in posts.

Warp said:
lets ban all gays instead!

WoW>You!
No.

_Ace said:
Andrew has an afro.
Does he?

Pizza said:
You're just not realizing this?
Do you mean, "You've just realised this?"

Venice_native said:
Who says I'm grumpy
I think it's pretty obvious... Those who (seem to) have nothing good to say make things look grumpy.

Big-Fat-Homo said:
I'm not grumpy, and I don't spam nearly as much as some. I don't flame outside of the asylum or void, and I lead a blissfully happy existance.

Don't ruin it on me.
I never intended to generalise all of you.

Hitsua said:
Here, I'll be more care-free, and spam more.

Huzzah!
I'm not asking you to do that. I'm not asking for people to change (much). And chatter and spam are two different entities.

Galatia said:
I dont grow up, thank you
You've grown up enough.

TrongaMonga said:
No shit, Sherlock.

Anyway, the real problem is the lack of new members. Younger members. You bananas scare away all the kids that show up in Teh Asylum except a few. And we need more.
There have been a few... But for the wrong reasons and none have any reason to stay.

Hitsua said:
We can all pretend to be 12. That's fun!
No it would not be.

Pizza said:
TrongaMonga said:
No shit, Sherlock.

Anyway, the real problem is the lack of new members. Younger members. You bananas scare away all the kids that show up in Teh Asylum except a few. And we need more.
Apparently thats my fault, according to a lot of people on here.
Well, you aren't exactly Newbie Idol to the newcomers here. Again, I'm not asking for you to change, but newbie bashing shouldn't be a hobby...

Big-Fat-Homo said:
It is your fault, Mike. I'm working on recruiting people, but I'm only one man!
You're not alone.

TrongaMonga said:
Pizza said:
You don't call people newbies for things they aren't newbie at.

You just don't know what they aren't newbies at.
Uh-huh.

Big-Fat-Homo said:
I believe in treating all people with some level of respect; especially newer people. Because if you don't have new players/posters the game/forum will, naturally, die. When that happens we all lose.
True that.

Vicious101 said:
x42bn6 said:
Had a little thought yesterday about BattleForums, after, for the first time, I was unable to make a post because I couldn't think of anything to say.

People like Pan, Theroy and myself were 13, 14 years old when BattleForums was in its first two years? People like coRtALoS, Crookedfoot and glowpole have got on with their lives and are forced to spend less time on the forums. People like Hitsua who were so carefree in those days are now grumpy little members with very little good to say but spam and flame. Time's changed quite a bit, and it's obviously hurt the forums.

Come on, let's face it, growing up was supposed to make the forums more mature, but we have reduced ourselves to menial flames and spam.

BlizzForums went and took itself out in the New Year. One competitor down, and yet it feels like it has already happened to this forum. It's weird, isn't it?

We need to put the Chit-Chat back into Chit-Chat. Honestly.*
Where is TwAk when we need him? We seem to just be missing all the people who made this forum what it is. And they left because everyone wanted to be more mature, that's why I stopped posting because everything became all Nazi and shit. *
Agreed. I miss the AxL is a Nazi! posts by TweaK and AxL proving the point (and who can forget the signature, "For once in my life, I agree with you." + "chrisuk sucks at owning BF"), and stuff like that. Community is king.

Darkmatter said:
Thats a good way of looking at it. As people grow up and mature, the things that were once so appealing about certain people, places or things seem to disappear. :(
You disappearing doesn't help either...

Big-Fat-Homo said:
I'll never cease to be appealing. I'm good like that.
Attention whore. This is, what, your 10th post in here or something? ...

pan said:
wow I was in grade 9 when i joined. It's been awhile
Yeah, I remember my first days here and you then... (Half-expecting a reply saying that I wasn't around when you joined and you are still the most active oldie here...)

SlyFie said:
Meh, the first year I thought everything that everyone said was funny. Now, its just the same old, bland humor. Wow...
Some things never change.

Pains Requiem said:
Pizza said:
I want to count how many times you undermind people, tell them to grow up, tell them how you always somehow seem to do something better then them.

Almost everything you complain about because of the newer/younger members here. You were young when you first joined, but there weren't too many people to tell you to just "shut up."

Now that you are older than most members, you are automatically better than them so you feel free to flame a bitch like an old woman?

Way to go.
Eh... I don't think it was that bad.

Pizza said:
Pains Requiem said:
I want to count how many times you undermind people, tell them to grow up, tell them how you always somehow seem to do something better then them.

Almost everything you complain about because of the newer/younger members here. You were young when you first joined, but there weren't too many people to tell you to just "shut up."

Now that you are older than most members, you are automatically better than them so you feel free to flame a bitch like an old woman?

Way to go.
I was 16 going on 17 when I joined here. Plenty of people treated me like how I treat new people, but guess what? I didn't act like a ****** and just dissappear because a few people didn't like me.
The problem is, not everyone thinks like you.

TrongaMonga said:
Bonez Dubb AMB said:
lol you guyz need new forums like one about smoking weed or rap. not about all your shitty gayboy games
LOL .

I noes it's spam, but ... :(

Pizza said:
I was 16 going on 17 when I joined here. Plenty of people treated me like how I treat new people, but guess what? I didn't act like a ****** and just dissappear because a few people didn't like me.
Who treated you like that? I can't remember anyone being such an asshole as you are, for this life of me.
Mm, me too... But then again, I don't recall Pizza (or whatever his first name was then) joining for some odd reason.

shimshimheyxD said:
Welcome to last year.

Pizza said:
Welcome to shutting the **** up.

Tronga - A lot of people did. I can't remember who cause its been so long, and theres been a ton of name changes and such. Though after like a month or two they just kinda stopped. Which is different from me, cause I'm just naturally a prick.
Again, I don't remember. But I do, I think, recall TweaK in there somewhere.

§tar§oft said:
Pizza said:

Grow up.

Just because other people did it, doesn't mean it's not a problem and that it doesn't affect people not joining.
Yes, but as I've said before...

CelestialBadger said:
Man guys, growing up is not any kind of excuse for this place sucking. Like age actually matters online...

Ha
It's good to know, however, that some people NEVER change.

shimshimheyxD said:
Pizza said:
Welcome to shutting the **** up.

Tronga - A lot of people did. I can't remember who cause its been so long, and theres been a ton of name changes and such. Though after like a month or two they just kinda stopped. Which is different from me, cause I'm just naturally a prick.

hey, im just qouting the truth feggot.
He wasn't quoting you...

Pizza said:
You wern't quoting anything.
He was, but it was spam...

Bones Dubb AMB said:
Pizza said:
You wern't quoting anything.
lol but im quoteing now arnt i?
Welcome to BattleForums, Bones Dubb AMB. Cookie?*[/quote]

Pizza said:
Yeah...very good...:rolleyes

Seraph said:
CelestialBadger said:
Man guys, growing up is not any kind of excuse for this place sucking. Like age actually matters online...

Ha

I agree. BattleForums just seemed to lose its edge... After 2004 rolled around, it all seemed to go downhill from there, and we've stretched it out two more years, through some minor mishaps, which have reunited the forums, a little, but not enough. No, it really does seem like BattleForums will die this time.
Also due to the fact getting banned became "cool".

Pizza said:
I'm telling ya. That one month where we were down because of chrisUK pulling the plug killed us.
A coffin has many nails.

_JaKE said:
Big-Fat-Homo said:
I agree, and that's why I made a solemn promise to never grow up. You're right though, many of the older members have either gone away or do almost nothing but flame. But, what can we possibly do?
alrite peter pan, maybe you dont like pebety, but the rest of us.....
And you did?

Auron said:
I demand CrookedFoot pulls the plug for good!
When something goes wrong, don't destroy it...

Vicious101 said:
Pizza said:
I'm telling ya. That one month where we were down because of chrisUK pulling the plug killed us.
Yea I have to agree with that, I still have nightmares about the BF free times. Then once it came back up it was just, you know... there. It really did suck and pretty much killed everyone off.*
See quote above.

|SkuZZy| said:
§tar§oft said:

Grow up.

No ****ing kidding.
anyway, back in the day, the members were nicer, they did care more, in the d2 section anyway.
Some people haven't changed, not just him.

Z-man said:
I think I was 15 when I get here, and now I am 18 about to be 19.

You are right my friend. Most of us have grown up.

*nods* You are another one that stayed for a long time.

cRaPtaLoS said:
Its because that akule fellow is never around any more.

what the **** happened to him anyway?
He left because of me.

Forged said:
Not me, it's exam central here.

cRaPtaLoS said:
Forged said:
i joined when i was like 13 or 14, im going to turn 19 this year and be off to college.

Hell, i had a high pitched voice until i was maybe 15 or 16 and still didnt care for getting too shitfaced. Now, well i'd much rather be out on my weekends than on battleforums or a game :)
I hope you don't epitomise all users here.

Hitsua said:

Someone lied?

coRtALoS said:
And you were the one I tried IP banning every goddamn which way. :(

SkuZZy was 16 going on 17 when he made this forum, I was 18ish, and StarGhost.com is still up without a goddamn update in like 3 years. Still at the top of this search.
Fancy redirecting it here?

cRaPtaLoS said:
Hitsua said:

im ashamed of nothing

but yeah, i was 13 just about to hit 14, pretty sure i know my age. And yeah, i did lie about my age at the start, so what? Its not like im at all ashamed of who i was, i just just a kid who wanted to moderate at a forum he called his hobby.
Blasemphy!*

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
|SkuZZy| said:
No ****ing kidding.
How would you know? Mentally and physically I've grown quite a bit. Just because I am filled with more and more hatred every day towards the jest of you...wouldn't that count as growing too?

Pains Requiem

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Normally, when you dislike someone or a group of people so much, don't you tend to try to avoid those people?

Sometimes it honestly does amuze me to see wat you complain about next. I havesaved in notepad 10+ paragraphs you have bitched about in the last 2 months.

And yes, i do care about the forums, but lately it has been nothing but a power struggle.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Pizza said:
How would you know? Mentally and physically I've grown quite a bit. Just because I am filled with more and more hatred every day towards the jest of you...wouldn't that count as growing too?
Well, in my opinion, puberty is over for you. Shouldn't you be looking at the world more nicely? ...*

minny

6 years and going strong!
Reaction score
battleforums is a part of my childhood =/ i think i joined when i was in grade..uh...7-8?
anyways... i didnt stick around cause the forums filled up with too many nubs.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, so, here is my reason for being here, and what keeps me here. Mind you, I am probably in the top tear as far as age (not speaking of mentality obviously) goes for this forum.

I remember visiting this sight when I was beginning to play Diablo 2 back when it was later in patch 1.09, this sight was one of, if the the most current and updated. If their was a question, many members would help one another here.
After trying to find a better sight, I finally joined, then 2 days later BF went down for god knows how long. Just out of curiousity one day, I ventured back here, and low and behold, you were up and running, but at that time I was not playing so what was the pont of me signing up again.

Finally, I began to play D2 again and signed up to this wonderful sight. At the time of early 1.10 D2 you all here were current and still very helpful to me, and I have learned alot for many of you.
The problem now, is that nothing is current, and up to date. You complain that no one is joining here. Why would they join when their are so many other forums that have proper guides listed for 1.11? This is one of the biggest problems that I see. Their is no reason for a new person to join, and stay. Not only this, but a good majority (not all) of the posts, and threads are call outs, and 10 year old humor.
If you want to gain more members, give them a reason to join some way shape or form. I can't speak for anyone else, or for certain sections of Battleforums, but, I do know that the Diablo section needs some serious updating.

The reason for me being here still, is, because I see potential in this sight, I wish it could be like it was before the shutdown. Yes as mentioned age has a factor in many people coming and going from here, (hell, the only time I'm on here is when I can't sleep, or, need advice on a build) but, if their was a large enough group of stedy posters on here that wouldn't even be a real issue, because their would always be something new to read that was worth reading that is.

Some of the rules that are in place are rather pointless, of downright not enforced. For instance, what is the point of banning someone for a period of time, when they can just come back and do the same thing over and over again? Where is the logic in that? Is this the type of people that you want representing this forum? Second, if a mod doesn't want the job, or, doesn't do the job, find someone that does. Why have someone in charge of keeping order, that does not do that, or causes problems in the first place.

From a objective point of view, look at this and see how many pointless threads their are, I garentee, at least 1 will be on that first page. If someone sees this, they might not join due to these types of things, or some might join seeing that can do the same thing and have fun flaming, calling out other members, ect.

Basically, if you want more members to join, think what you would want to keep you here and, what you don't want to see, then make the proper ajustments. If this is unclear, make a poll for new members to find out why they are joining. This could show what areas to concentrate on more, or even what is more popular then others.

Once again, this is from my own point of view, since I can not speak for anyone else, but, it is rather annoying seeing threads like these pop of week after week, with little or no change for the better. I understand, it is very time consuming, and alot easier said then done, but rahter then constantly figuring out what went wrong, overcome and make things better.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Pale_Horse said:
Why would they join when their are so many other forums that have proper guides listed for 1.11? If you want to gain more members, give them a reason to join... I can't speak for anyone else, or for certain sections of Battleforums, but, I do know that the Diablo section needs some serious updating.
Mr. Pale Horse, you are absolutely right. Our D2 forums are a couple of years backwards.

L

Laharl

It almost makes me wish that I actually contributed something to the forums. Oh, well.

Hitsua

+
Reaction score
cRaPtaLoS said:
im ashamed of nothing :)

Well, I just mean, 2002, you're about to turn 19, that was 4 years ago, so you'd be about 14.

But anyways.

coRtALoS said:
And you were the one I tried IP banning every goddamn which way. :(
IT LOOKS LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE TRIED HARDER THEN HUNNY.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
I was 18 when I joined this site, and I'm preparing for my 21st birthday now...I don't really feel I've grown up at all, and I have even less a life...but for some reason I just don't find the time to visit nearly as much anymore. Silly how that is.

Static

Premium Member
Reaction score
Simple....
No school=No friends. (via the loss of a common place to meet most of them)
Work=Less time
Older= "reading" penis jokes isn't as funny.

But you're never too old to hear one.