The Future of SCUMS

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
What do you think is possible in the new Use Map Settings? I hope it will be as powerful as the map editor in WC3

Some observations from Maplantis

STARCRAFT II MAP MAKING FEATURES
OBSERVATIONS

* Starcraft II is in 3D. The minimap display even shows evidence of a "perspective view".
* Buildings and units are to be much more detailed and much larger it appears.
* The engine is apparently designed to handle many units on the same screen, just like Starcraft 1 is.
* Elevation appears to be variable, you seem to be able to stack terrain to variable heights (range unknown) instead of starcraft 1 having 3 types of elevation.
* Minerals and gas are still the two resource types.
* Space backgrounds appear to be able to have a huge planet image that does not change drastically. It is unknown if we as mappers will be able to alter this image to our liking, but it certainly beats the generic stars from the starcraft 1 tileset!
* There appears to be different size ramps available, possibly indicating that certain doodads or such can be variable width.
* There is space for fitting in a total of 15 command buttons in the lower right corner.
* All the buildings appear to have been placed isometrically.
* The terrain is not only isometric, you also seem to have the ability to make square terrain (similar to warcraft III).
* A wide array of new doodads.
* In space, terrain seems to connect with "pipes" when over space.
* Space has the dirt terrain type now.
* It looks like the default health and damage is going to fit the style of starcraft 1 being split second decision making, unlike warcraft 3 with the high health and low damage.
* It looks like the command bar can hold up to 24 units

SPECULATION

* Although we can assume that the camera system will be something similar to that of Warcraft III, there isn't much to say on the ingame usage of the camera.
* The unit cap for map makers will most likely be a lot higher seeing the unique engine of the game.
* Although the game is MUCH more detailed now, there is evidence of terrain pattern. It is likely that blizzard will make the map editor almost as simple as the staredit we're used to, but allow the capability to do a lot more advanced and technical things (thats a given).
* It appears that we'll be able to mess around with the lighting on maps to set the mood. Remake of "house of the haunted" anybody?
* I have not seen any indication of a hero system such as what Warcraft 3 has.
* I expect there will be ability to make custom abilities and spells with all the extra button space.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
It'll probably more advanced like the WCIII editor. Makes the most sense.

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, it probably will be very similar to the WC3 world editor.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
I hope they keep it simple .

:embarrassed:

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I'm hoping they keep heroes in the editor. Not so much in the game, but it makes the custom maps a LOT better than SC was ever able to.

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
I'm hoping they keep heroes in the editor. Not so much in the game, but it makes the custom maps a LOT better than SC was ever able to.
Agreed. I enjoyed being able to simply give players 'devouring one's instead of zerglings in bounds, and then having to make them upgraded with speed and such, things like that saved time and triggers. It also helps quite a bit when you need more than one type of a unit (as most ums use at least 1 normal/hero combo).

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
You may think I'm only a gamer - no! First I have made maps in SC&BW in '99 sucked with triggers, then war2 maps, then Empire Earth, then War3&TFT editor. With war3 editor I can do everything like an RPG that suits my taste so with this I basicly don't need other games, that's why I play war3 only. Oh yes I can even recreate models from another games and use their skin so GG all other games, 1 game FTW! SCII will replace war3 for me and I will still do what I want with their editor.

The editor should have a model importer, 3ds and ms3d to be exported to SCII models so that all our creations like tanks, lasers, robots bla bla bla can be directly imported into the new game instead of having to make them again.

I hope triggers to change the model of a unit it is a must! E.g Event, C,Action: Change the model of (Triggering unit) to (file name) e.g SCII Battlecruiser.s2m). I was trying to do that in war3 because Morph in war3 allows you to make as many units as the levels you make, like your morph would need 100 levels, to wanna transform a marine to ghost, event, action - set level of Morph to 50, you wanna change a marine to a woman? Event, actions: set level o Morph to 76 (you make the morphed unit editing the ability or using a custom ability for level 50 of this ability to be Ghost, for level 76 to be a woman, for level 33 to be your mom, for level 49 your daddy etc). That was the war3 way to do it kinda silly isnt it? Then why not use a trigger for that, the game or map knows the file names of the models including custom models.

And what if you want to make a chameleon that transforms to any unit you target like:
Event: A unit uses an ability
C:targeted unit is a building equal to false (to prevent a unit from transforming to Barracks)
Ability equal to .... blablabla
Casting unit equal to Chameleon
Actions: Change the model of [Chameleon] to model of [targeted unit].

Kaldaris

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sundren.org
The WC:III Map editor has gotten a lot of support from the modding community by developing programs that directly imported scripting. I certainly hope Blizzards supports this right off.

Aurora

Let's fix it.
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraft2forum.org
Hm. Some advertising bot bumped this. Might as well add something:

Unit and building selection is on longer limited. As it looks now, you can select well over 100 units at a time, and with that all your buildings as you want.

As for the respective in the map editor: that's for making cinematics. :D

U

umeednahi

The brown scum seen on occasion on the beaches around Dunedin is a naturally occurring phenomenon common to most beaches around New Zealand at some time or another.It may look unsightly, and may even smell bad, but it is not raw sewage. The scum first appears as a yellow, or brownish foam in the surf. This foam is stranded on the beach in more condensed lines or clumps as the tide recedes. When examined microscopically the scum contains unicellular algae such as diatoms and dinoflagellates, along with tiny particles of larger decaying algae (seaweed). Also in the mix are tiny crustaceans and a variety of body parts of other small planktonic animals, all bound together in a mucus film.....