The Complete LLD Jewel, Charm, and Rare guide by Mist

Mist

Member!
Reaction score
LLD JEWELS CHARMS & RARES

This guide is designed to do a few important things. Firstly, it is designed to inform you WHAT possible stats a jewel, charm, or rare can have at level NINE (Only level 9 right now. Level 12, 16, and maybe 18 forthcoming). This is if you want to buy or find a good item for you level 9 dueller, and you want close to the best.. but you don't know what the best is.
Secondly, it is intended to correct many blatant mistakes on the info site I commonly use, The Arreat Summit. I've included only USEFUL prefixes / suffixes, to save time, effort, and space.
Finally, I've also included my current LLD items folder as somewhat of a Developer's Package. It contains every level 9 LLD item, jewel, charm, quest item, etc. EVERYTHING I have ever used in my level 9 LLD builds and its organized clearly. It's always being upgraded and changed, however, so be aware that it might not have 100% up to date items / information. Now, without further ado.​

UPDATE: 7/1 Fixed up the formatting a little, edited to make it a bit more formal, added FAQ, changed some minor errors.

UPDATE: 7/1 Fixed a few grammar errors and stuff. The formatting is a mess and it's all sloppy and quickly done, but it -is- a beta. I am basically looking for anyone to correct me if needed.

UPDATE: 7/1 Finished first draft of the guide.
PREFIXES AND SUFFIXES

This is the list of useful prefixes and suffixes which are available at level 9. In many cases, certain combinations of prefixes and/or suffixes, such as the Skill suffix + any other mod, inclreases the required level of the item over level 9, and therefore isn't listed. Some listed prefixes and suffixes may also be incompatible with eachother at level 9 (they are noted).

Prefixes:
Bronze: +10-20 AR
Silver: +61-80 AR
Vicious: +31-40% Enhanced Damage
Fine: +21-40 AR, +21-30% enhanced damage
Snake's: +5-10 Mana
Crimson: +5-10% Fire resist
Russet: +11-20% Fire resistance
Azure: +5-10% Cold resistance
Tangerine: +5-10% Lightning resistance
Beryl: +5-10% Poison resistance
Vulpine: +7-12% Damage taken goes to Mana

Suffixes:
Strength: +1-2 Str
Might: +3-5 Str
Dexterity: +1-2 Dex
The Jackal: +1-5 Life
The Fox: +6-10 Life
The Leech: +3%(Amulets can only go this high)-5%(Rings can go this high) Life Steal
The Bat: +3%(Rings can only go this high)-4%(Amulets can go this high) Mana Steal
Readiness: +10% ias
The Apprentice: +10 fcr
Self-Repair: Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds
Replenishing: Adds 1 quantity in 33 seconds

NOTE: These prefixes do not apply to charms or jewels.
NOTE: Bows and Javelins don't have durability.
INCOMPATABILITIES:
Rings cannot have +dex with a second mod.
Fine items cannot have +life.
Fine and Bronze/Silver/Vicious cannot stack, even on a rare.
Russet is the only 20% resist which can be used at level 9.
This will be updated as needed--

JEWELS

First, a preface. Magic jewels CANNOT stack a prefix/suffix with the same mod. Rare jewels CAN. Rares can have between 3 and 6 prefixes and suffixes randomly, and up to 3 of each only. I'm going to cover all the possibilities that you can have on a Jewel, what the best level 9 jewels are, and what you should look for in a jewel.

As far as Magic jewels go, they are only to be used if your budget is low (obviously). The following are the best possible Magic Jewels for level 9:
Rusty Jewel of Wrath: +20% enhanced damage, +9 max damage
Rusty Jewel of Freedom: +20% enhanced damage, -15% requirements
Tin Jewel of Wrath: +40 AR, +9 max damage
obviously you can mix and match any way you choose. Here are the level 9 Jewel prefixes and suffixes. ANY OF THESE PREFIXES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH ANY OF THESE SUFFIXES ON A MAGIC JEWEL EXCEPT FOR CARBUNCLE/SCARLET + WRATH/JOYFULNESS.

Prefixes:
Lapis Lazuli: +10-15% Cold resistance
Camphor: +10-15% Lightning resistance
Beryl: +10-15% Poison resistance
Rusty: +11-20% Enhanced Damage
Carbuncle: +1-5 Max damage
Scarlet: +4 Min damage
Tin: +21-40 AR
Zircon: +10 mana

Suffixes:
Wrath: +9 Max damage
Joyfulness: +4 Min damage
Life: +5-10 Life
Freedom: -15% requirements

Therefore, you can pair any of the aforementioned prefixes with any of these suffixes, excluding scarlet+wrath and scarlet+joyfulness, on a magic jewel for level 9 requirement. Now onto

RARE JEWELS

On a rare jewel, 3 of the above prefixes and 3 of the above suffixes may be chosen. ANY OF THESE PREFIXES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH ANY OF THESE SUFFIXES ON A RARE JEWEL PERIOD! That means the Scarlet and Joyfulness mods can stack to make +8 minimum damage on your rare jewel, and Carbuncle and Wrath mods can stack to make +14 max damage on your rare jewel as well, while still having the requirement level 9. So what's the best rare jewel in the game for level 9?

+20% enhanced damage
+40 AR (OR: +10 mana, 15% cold resist, 15% lightning resist, 15% poison resist)
+14 max damage
+10 life
-15% requirements

Yes, this jewel is possible to obtain at level 9. You won't ever concievably get it on closed, but it is possible. All you need to know is that that is as good as a rare jewel can get - so you know exactly how good of a jewel it is you're buying / trading. My included LLD package includes every useful possibility of this rare jewel (and the magics as well).

CHARMS

When acquiring Strength or Dex through charms, use Large charms with +3 str (they use their inv space to give str more effectively than sc and gc) with the Fine prefix. that means use THIS for when you need +3 or more STR:

Fine Large Charm of Strength/Dexterity
+3 max damage
+20 AR
+3 Str/Dex

If you need less than 3 Str in charms, use this:

Russet/Azure/Tangerine/Beryl Small Charm of Strength/Dexterity
+5% fire/cold/lit/poison resist
+1 Str/Dex

EVERY OTHER SPACE IN YOUR INV should be filled with either Fine GC of Balance or Lizards GC of Balance:

Fine/Lizard's Grand Charm of Balace
+6 max damage/+20 Mana
+48 AR
+12% FHR

AND the rest of the spaces with:

Russet/Azure/Tangerine/Beryl Small Charm of Life
+5% fire/cold/lit/poison resist
+10 Life

Simple, all there is to it... no reason to use any other charms, these are the best. NOW, onto

RARE WEAPONS

We're talking about Throwing Spears and Scissors Katar / Blade Talons here, for a LLD asn/zon build. Any other build uses socketable normals. Here's what I have found to be the best you can get from a rare weapon:

ethereal
+10% ias
+30% enhanced damage and +40 AR
+1-2 cold damage
Socketed (2-3)
+4% mana steal
+repairs durability / replenishes quantity

get as close to that as you can and you've got yourself a nice rare. Enjoy!

That's the end of my guide. It should be very helpful to anyone interested in LLD, especially people who know how many mistakes are listed on the arreat summit. I also have made this to help developers who test out LLD builds in single player. A brief guide, but the information has been useful to me.
Here's my LLD developer's package: LLD.zip

It includes every level 9 item, jewel, charm, weapon, armor, ammy ring, rares, quest items, etc. I've ever used.

F.A.Q.

Q: Why don't you have certain resist prefixes listed, and other prefixes I want on my LLD?
A: I have not listed those prefixes which, though they can be on a jewel with level 9 req, cannot have a second mod while still staying level 9 (an example of this is fire resist on a jewel). I have also not listed any useless prefixes or any which I haven't used on my items.

Q: This guide is very confusing... how is it supposed to help me?
A: It shows you what the best stats on items are for level 9 so if you're looking for a jewel with +max damage and AR, for example, you know how much you can get, OR if you don't quite know what stats you want on your jewel or item, you can browse my prefixes and see which are available to you at level 9.

Q: How much does this stuff cost?
A: Buying these items from other players is extremely expensive. A normal, magic jewel with two of the above jewel mods will cost you about an Um. A rare jewel with +max, -15% req, and any other useful stat will cost you ist+. The perfect rare jewel would probably cost you your bank account in d2 items.

Q: So if I'm looking for jewels and charms, where do I look, how do I get them?
A: Act 1, Normal. Bring an Orb sorceress and kill everything. Pick up every jewel, charm, and rare ring, ammy, and jewel. This is the best way to get jewels with desirable LLD stats.

Any comments, questions, corrections, are all welcome. Call this the guide's beta stage.

Shadow-Hunter

Member!
Reaction score
Nice Job.. I dident know u could get Rare jewels like that... Think i could make a Very good char if i had like 10 of them :)

~Shadow

Mist

Member!
Reaction score
And now that I know this I can change my builds quite drastically, to incorporate things socketed with rares with -15% req, and better charm efficiency. Id really appreciate it if people think things are missing that should be there in my dev package, if they could let me know what so I can consider adding them.

Mr.Sloth

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Very nice! you seem to be really good at llds. too bad USWEST nonladder has like NO llds

Mist

Member!
Reaction score
that's a bummer.. there's enough lld floating around on escl to make me happy :)

chocofilez

Member!
Reaction score
have you actually found these jewels? if so, nice. ive never seen anything like that for lvl 9+-

Mist

Member!
Reaction score
I have seen jewels with many of those stats on closed, yes. The closest one to the perfect rare I've seen is +12 max, +16% enhanced damage, +8% cold resist and -15% reqs.

DDRaddict

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
umm, did your guide just tell me that a carbuncle jewel of wrath isn't possible? because i know those are, u can get up to 13 max (that i've seen), but some of the llders i've met say it can go up to 14 (probably true, but rare as hell). otherwise i just misread your guide.

pretty sure u can only get 15 life lcs and not 10 life scs.

if your character is rushed then u won't have much of a problem with resistances and having it at at least 30% resist is usually enough (usually u have death sash/gloves on so that'll give u at least 45% then). so u might want to get the ar bonus prefix added to the lcs and gcs instead of the resistance bonus.

Mist

Member!
Reaction score
Carbuncle Jewel of Wrath, last I checked, is >level 9.
I've never seen >10 life with level 9 req. I will double check.
the lcs and gcs already use the Fine prefix.

I will double triple check the carbuncle jewel of wrath and life sc's more than +10 life and edit this post

DDRaddict

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
the carbuncle jewel of wrath is clvl 9 i thought in your guide u said they weren't compatible, but i guess i misread that.

a 10 lvl sc is clvl 14 so there's no way that can go on a lvl 9, the the most life per inventory box is a 15 life lc.

Mist

Member!
Reaction score
I don't have a cd-drive at the moment. When I do I will check. I am 99.99% confident that a jewel of wrath having the carbuncle prefix bumps lvl req above 9. I've no sure way to prove you right or wrong at the moment yet, however.

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
i dont think they are that rare, people would much rather have a 40/15ias than an lld jewel, because no1 does lld anyways... cant trade them very easily

chocofilez

Member!
Reaction score
I know but in terms of finding, how rare are they. I know that they shouldnt be too hard to trade find butin terms of mfing etc.

Mist

Member!
Reaction score
which jewel are you asking about??? the perfect rare is MUCH MUCH MUCH rarer than a 40/15 because with a 40/15 first you have a pretty good change of it being 15 suffix with any prefix, thats worth nothing. Then if that prefix is 31-40% enchanced you have a 1/9 chance of it being a 40/15 .. so thats only 1 variable #... the perfect rare has many more variablle #s and thats IF those mods even get chosen, which if they all do is 1/6th of 1/6th of 1/6th of 1/6th of 1/6th of 1/6th of the % chance that the jewel even HAS 6 mods on it which very few jewels do