The Colossus

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score

Discuss this Massive, Twin Beamed, tier walking, behemoth of a unit in the Protoss army.

Twin Thermal Layers cut across the battlefield. This unit is amazing. Despite the typical reference to War of the Worlds, and CNC3 on the similarities to a "tri-pod" unit, This four legged unit is far more flexible. Karune has stated that inter-Blizzard matches have containted entries where the Colossus would walk into the back of one's base and fire at harvesters. This in itself requires a much more flexible strategic positioning in how you would counter this raiding. Obviously from gameplay videos the Baneling's explosions and the air attack of the Mutalisk are prime for taking on the Colossus.

So lets have some discussion on the ramifications this unit would have on the gameplay. With the exception of the fact that the other races havent been fully revealed, what we know now gives us something to talk about in terms of SCII ccurrently, and what we arleady have played in Starcraft.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Nice!. I particaularly lkie the background story behind them. I'm willing to bet one of the campaign missions is find the long lost colossi on the asteriods.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
The nice thing about the colossus is that Blizzard is still making a seemingly unfair unit be balanced out nicely. Being vulnerable to anti-air attacks while being unable to retaliate against air attackers is one nice little thing, but from what I'd be willing to assume based on the animation showcasing its "cliffwalking" ability, Colossi will still be limited by terrain levels. The animation shows it walking up several "steps" of terrain, and stopping at the sheer cliff face at the end to fire upon some Marines. I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that even the Colossi can't go up and down multi-tier cliffs, that is, cliffs that have more than one level of elevation change. This serves to balance it out a little.

Limits aside though, this thing changes base raids for good. You can't hardly guard properly against a base attack with these guys and Reapers, so it's looking like base raids are becoming a serious issue. I get the feeling that as mobile as the Protoss seem to be now, that'll be similarly reflected in the other races as well. Terrans have always been fairly mobile, but Protoss and Zerg were always fairly stationary. Zerg could spread quickly, but Protoss were kind of "set up shop and stay here" sorta guys...the gameplay I've seen so far suggests that bases may be less permanent now, more like staging areas for launching offensives or holding positions. A lot more emphasis is shown on movement and fluidity of forces, and the Colossus is just one example of this high mobility.

And I just have to throw in that cosmetically, the Colossus looks freakin' sweet. I hope this thing costs at least 4 Psi, even up to 6 Psi, because as it is already a group of them coming at you across the battlefield, walking up and down cliffs like they're nothing...I think I'd probably piss myself, lol.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I think it has been stated that they may only walk up one tier at a time

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured. I mean, it's common sense. I never saw it personally anywhere, but then again I haven't been 100% up on stuff as it happens. All I know is what I've seen and what I can reasonably guess.

Ninja_Blue

[ Official Forum Ninja ]
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I think they are a tad too weak offensively.
I saw them attacking with their thermal lasers. And they didn't do too much for high powered lasers from a machine designed specifically for war. But maybe that "longer attacking, more damage" thing is what makes them not weak. But the initial damage isn't enough IMO.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
They're not the ones that do more damage as they progress...those are the Warp Rays. Colossi just have the sweeping beam that hits a lot of targets.

Ninja_Blue

[ Official Forum Ninja ]
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I thought I read somewhere that they have it to. :\
But it only sweeps when they destroy a target, and it automatically switches to another, just for a cool thing to look at, a big fiery swath of destruction.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
The vid said they'd be good against small, swarming units like Zerglings and such. Combined with the Zeals running defense, they made a mess of a SHITLOAD of Zerglings...I'm willing to bet that these guys are worth the resources to make them, but chiefly as support.

Ninja_Blue

[ Official Forum Ninja ]
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yea...when I was watching the video, they didn't seem to kill those Zerglings all to quickly, but maybe I'm just seeing things.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
also good for climbing impassable cliffs. Against units I can see them being able to run away great, reach higher ground for support etc. They look good against zerg and terran marines. Who knows what else. Might even be good against zealots if it happened that way.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
And I just have to throw in that cosmetically, the Colossus looks freakin' sweet. I hope this thing costs at least 4 Psi, even up to 6 Psi, because as it is already a group of them coming at you across the battlefield, walking up and down cliffs like they're nothing...I think I'd probably piss myself, lol.
They probably only good for support...I wouldn't be "shitting myself".

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
As long as you setup Anti Ground near cliffs and have plenty of air units to take down those walkers, they shouldnt be too much of a threat. But I do like how there are now more sneaky units that can backdoor you when the time is needed.

AZN_FLEA

Reaction score
The nice thing about the colossus is that Blizzard is still making a seemingly unfair unit be balanced out nicely. Being vulnerable to anti-air attacks while being unable to retaliate against air attackers is one nice little thing, but from what I'd be willing to assume based on the animation showcasing its "cliffwalking" ability, Colossi will still be limited by terrain levels. The animation shows it walking up several "steps" of terrain, and stopping at the sheer cliff face at the end to fire upon some Marines. I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that even the Colossi can't go up and down multi-tier cliffs, that is, cliffs that have more than one level of elevation change. This serves to balance it out a little.

Limits aside though, this thing changes base raids for good. You can't hardly guard properly against a base attack with these guys and Reapers, so it's looking like base raids are becoming a serious issue. I get the feeling that as mobile as the Protoss seem to be now, that'll be similarly reflected in the other races as well. Terrans have always been fairly mobile, but Protoss and Zerg were always fairly stationary. Zerg could spread quickly, but Protoss were kind of "set up shop and stay here" sorta guys...the gameplay I've seen so far suggests that bases may be less permanent now, more like staging areas for launching offensives or holding positions. A lot more emphasis is shown on movement and fluidity of forces, and the Colossus is just one example of this high mobility.

its the terrans who were most defensive. protoss who are powerhouses/flexible strategy and zergs who HAVE to be offensive to be effective.

goddam i sense a noob

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
What the hell are you even talking about? Yes, I know the basic roles of the races...what relevance does your post even have? When did I say anything that contradicted what you just said? Closest I can guess is how I mentioned that Protoss and Zerg are stationary, while Terran is more mobile, and that's a simple fact as well.

Terran buildings can move easily, most of them. This allows more mobility in their bases. Terrans can go just about anywhere.

Protoss and Zerg on the other hand, are a lot harder to move their bases. They both have limitations on the area of influence in which they can build, and they're also both rather expensive to set up shop in a particular place. Their buildings don't move, and spreading around is kind of difficult.

Zerg have probably the hardest time moving around, since anywhere new they want to go they have to set up a Hatchery to start spawning Creep. Once they've got it established, a colony can develop pretty quickly, but initiating it is tougher.

Protoss are a little easier, because Pylons are cheaper and faster than Hatcheries. You can set up a stationary defense at a choke point a lot faster than if you were trying to do it with Zerg. Terrans are the easiest here, because a bunker and some tanks with a missile turret for detection/AA support is almost immediate to rip out.

That's all I was trying to say, and don't dare to judge me as a "noob." I'm not one of you Koreans, and I'm not the most capable player at ANY game, but I've wasted enough of my life on Starcraft to know a thing or two.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Still, I wonder if they can killed by AA (after all, that screenshot had turrets firing at hem).

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
i think by now I have realized they pretty much can be killed by turrets and AA

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
We know it can be killed by AA, but can it be killed by, say, Phoenixes (what's plural for Phoenix? :() or Goliaths' Hellfire Missiles, if they still exist.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Vadriel,

Terrans are the least mobile(partly why I can't stand them)
Zerg is the most mobile
Protoss is somewhere in the middle

You have some reasoning for what you say, but you're wrong. Play some more games.

When it comes to expanding(and building up a mobile attack force) zerg can do so the easiest. There's a reason why they need creep as opposed to just building anywhere you want.