T~build order

Caiman

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
build order

Hey.. I'm kinda new.. Could you tell me what a good build order which blocks againsts any rush but doesn't leave me behind in the tech tree?

Here's what a normally do...

build up to 8 scv's
supply depot
9, 10 scvs
from then on I constantly have 1-2 scv's cued(sp?) up and I build barracks (cue a marine), another supply, engineering bay, refinery, 2 factories, turret near worker line, and then i choose between vultures or tanks.

Any and all help is appreciated

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
there's a way to wall-in on top of your ramp with 2 supply depots and your barracks which will prevent a zealot rush.

After your barracks you should make a factory when you get the money as soon as possible and depending on your opening build, you get an e-bay or another factory, etc.

If you want to be aggressive go vults first. If not then get tanks.

Caiman

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
so the order of scv's, etc is good?
Also i forgot to mention, i wall my base in with depots and put the bunker near the workers and the depots. Generally everything can reach everything.
First marine goes scouting, if he has no defense/army i stick around and send remaining marines to his base and skip building the bunker

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
you don't really need a bunker unless your starting bases happen to be close like 12v3.(lost temple)

a few rines to kill the scouting probe but that's about it. you generally scout with a SCV. scouting with rines would be rather late, don't you think?

as for the build order:
9 supply
11 rax
12 refinery, etc. like I said before, you want to get a factory after. I'd say around 18th control.
And depending on what you want to do(whether it's fast expand or dropship or whatever), you get a CC(get a tank or 2 while this is building) or starport or another fac or whatever.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phoenix2003
you don't really need a bunker unless your starting bases happen to be close like 12v3.(lost temple)
For those of you that might not know, 12v3, think of it as a clock, on Lost Temple.

12(like on a clock) is the top platform.

3 is the right.

Caiman

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks, and no I didn't know what 12v3 was, thanks again...

Surely you need a bunker to protect against a zealot rush or zergling... Unless there is absolutely no way to get inside your base, wouldn't you need a bunker?

What number scv should go scouting? (i.e. how many supplys should you be using when you send the scv)

On the first factory, say you wanted vultures.. when should you build machine shop (if ever). Is it a matter of opinion and all ways work, depending on the situation?

I've lost my broodwars cd, can only play w/ original game, does anyone have any good StarCraft (not broodwar) replays i could have? Thanks in advance, and thanks for the help phoenix.

Completely unrelated question: when are ghosts a good option? I can't seem to use them except against the computer who ingores the 'nuclear launch detected' warning.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Pretty good bo. I might try it sometime ;).

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
to caiman:

you don't really need a bunker for tvz, either unless you fear cheese(4-6 pool rush or something). A few rines and couple of SCVs on your ramp should do.
And you wall-in with depots and the rax to prevent the zealot rush.

I'm not sure when to you want to scout, but I do so at 6.(that may be too early for some people).

If your going vults, you should definitely get the machine shop for both their upgrades to make them cost-effective.
2 fac vults seems to be popular for many terran players(i.e. I encounter this alot) so you should definitely get ups since you'll be facing goons and you may need the speed and mines.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
And have an SCV handy at your bunker and Depot block, if they happen to get a Zerg rush in before you have any rines, block them from coming through, and only one Zergling will be able to attack your SCV, this could save you precious time to get some Marines out.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
to the original poster:
get BW since z>>>>>>>>t on vanilla. without medics muta/ling is very, very, very powerful.
goliaths don't range, either which you may need for carriers(but then again there are no sairs either so you can go wraiths). not that gols are that great with range, anyway.
yeah, i kinda assumed you knew what I was saying about the 12v3 thing

Caiman

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yeah, yeah i know... i've been staying away from online because of those reasons instead seeing how badly i can rape the computers without the units upgrades, but pretending that they were there.. Like.. M&M without an M works against the computer's muta ling just fine.
Regular starcraft is not without it's faults, but i just havent gotten around to (re)buying BW

I know Terran is the worst race in the original SC, and I further handicap myself by preparing for DT and stuff like that when I'm facing protoss, even though I very well know that they won't come

i almost always go 2 factories when I'm getting vultures fast, with the machine shop building right away on one and then researching and building vultures from both factories (usually the other is finished at same time as machine shop)

So you should build 2 scv's, thus bringing the supply count to 6, and then send the last one to enemy base right away? How could you tell any strategy from that? You would see 7 workers mining minerals.. That's not very informative, although you would get a warning about any rushes.. What do you do with the scv that's now in their base, watching them mine? Harass them? Send him home? Sit tight? Take 8 minerals for yourself?