Sony copies Revolution

Nicholas The Slide

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ReiGn said:
Sony should just drop the whole tilt sensor thing though. Seriously, Kutaragi is ****ed up.
the Wii should drop the whole notion sensor thing, seriously its ****ed up.
What i find funny, is people think that any of these controllers are in any way "revolutionary". Motion sensing in a controller is only new to the console game faction of technology. Computers have had motion sensing mice (ones that need no surface to be in contact with) for quite some time. Also the Wii is an N64 controller, made into a box with motion sensing, and the PS3 controller is the PS1/PS2 with tilt-sensing.

People who criticise Sony for "ripping off Nintendo" by putting motion sensing (well, tilt sensing) into their controller need to think about the corporate world. let us look at the situation.

1)The "Boomerang" was met with a lot of criticism, and scrapped.
2)There had been a lot of talk/anticipation over the Wiimote (its motion sensing specifically)
3)Sony needed to design a "New" controller, so what are people looking at? Motion sensing capabilities!

It makes perfect business sense. AND they applied their technology in a different way. It is a more mediary controller, mainly static with some motion involved. Easier to transition to.

Am i preaching for Sony, i don't think so. I am merely trying to point out that from a business perspective, this is a very good move. also the Dual-SHock controller has worked for them since the PlayStation 1, so why would they go and change something that is generally liked? Just to make it "next gen"?

Also, Sony is not marketing to people who would be angered by them "ripping Nintendo off", Nintendo Fan boys tend not to buy Sony products, and the same goes for the other side. And it is my belief that you get what you pay for. (referring to the Price of the PS3)

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I doubt it. BlueRay versus HD-DVD is still in question, and, personally, I hope it doesn't come back to bite Sony ala Beta versus VHS.

EDIT1: Also, go back and read the arguements. Yours is moot because it's already been decided that Wii Remote =/= DualShock3.

EDIT2: Also, I'm a Nintendo fan whom owns the PS2 as well as all Nintendo systems. Therefore killing your second point. I've been called a Nintendo fanboy, for what reasons I do not know, and the only thing turning me off the PS3 is price-point.

Nicholas The Slide

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
bamthedoc said:
EDIT2: Also, I'm a Nintendo fan whom owns the PS2 as well as all Nintendo systems. Therefore killing your second point. I've been called a Nintendo fanboy, for what reasons I do not know, and the only thing turning me off the PS3 is price-point.

I was talking about the people who, like a friend of mine, dont look at system specs, they look at the Brand. i was referring to the people who will say "I wont buy it, it is not nintendo".

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Branding is stupid; something I realized about six years ago when I went from anti-Sony to 'who cares?!' I feel sorry for your friend, unwilling to experiance what wealth of gaming there is out there.

System Specifications actually have little to no meaning to me. The Wii has more power than the NGC and X-Box, combined, but the 360 still overshadows that. I'm not getting the 360, at least not yet, because it doesn't have any games that interest me.

The PS3 already appears to have a more interesting, to me, library. The Wii, however, as the most interesting, to me, library. I've also heard a lot of good things from GameSpot and, surprisingly, IGN about the feel and performance of both the Wii and Wii Remote. I have a good feeling about the system, just as I had a good feeling about the best-selling DS (16 million strong o_O; ).

EDIT: Speaking of the DS, that proves another point. The 16 million units sold easily trounce the PSP numbers, at around 4 or 5 million?, and the DS has lower graphics and is half the cost.

L

Laharl

To be it comes down to this...

PS3: WTF @ Price? God, I'm not going to pay $500 for a common as hell "Next Gen" console when I have rarer older consoles to add to my collection which also have a better game selection.

XBox 360: I don't even trust Microsoft to produce my Operating System. But my consoles? Secondly I'm not in the business of collecting low end computers. Just consoles.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
So Wii takes all the flak for being revolutionary, while Sony greases in and suddenly, it's not "gimmicky" anymore.

It's not the fact that Nintendo invented it or not (which they didn't). The point is that suddenly all the haters are celebraters. Oh, the irony.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Nintendo polls are on the up. What I find strange, however, is how much more popular Nintendo has become since their confrence at E3. They are near double Sony in, and Microsoft...isn't even in the running.

GameFaqs, GameStop, and IGN all are showing player polls with Nintendo well in the lead o_O;

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
The rotation thing has been around since the Game Boy Advance (Kirby Tilt-'n-Rumble, anyone?), so the PS3 isn't the most innovative controller in the world.

Wireless gaming, though, is "innovative" in the sense that wireless anything is starting (actually, wireless began ages ago, that isn't innovative at all).

Sony probably copied Nintendo there, but not Revolution. They copied the Game Boy Advance...

That said, it will come down to which games are best and most popular that use the feature. I believe that Sony has had a more successful game base for PS2 over the GameCube, but let's find out what this next generation will hold.*

L

Laharl

Since when was Twisted Metal & Stealing cars a proper game base? Boy am I behind.