Some sketch....

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Not bad! It's nice to see some realism once in awhile.

On the colored version it seems like the highlights may be distributed a bit too evenly. Save whites and blacks for the extremes. Right now there's no difference between the depth of his nose and the depth of the wrinkles on his face.

It looks really nice though. Good job.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
To add depth, try a cast shadow under the nose, if you were to look at yourself in a mirror, you can always spot a shadow under your nose, and your chin.
A good thing to do if making the hair black, fill it in with all black pencil, then cover areas in white or erase areas to show highlight. Another good thing is take a tissue and smear the dark pencil to create a smoother blending of dark to light shades, (that is if that is what you want, of course.) but I actually prefer the roughness to it. It sets a certain feeling. Excellent work, and a overwhelming feeling within the are style you have.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Since it's pretty obvious you did that with a tablet, you can pretty much ignore all that stuff about smearing and erasing and using pencils...

Reaction score
Website
www.visualdesigncore.com
Since it's pretty obvious you did that with a tablet, you can pretty much ignore all that stuff about smearing and erasing and using pencils...

;) smart guy. Its ****ing hard using my tablet, but :( yeah i cant really do much shading and the like with ym tablet. I have a sketch of a model from my class thats done paper/pencil but you guys wont get too see it because by the time im done it wont be a sketch ;)

And yesh, its a work in progress. im still working on the shading and i raelly have trouble doing depth in the computer because its not as easy as with say a pencil/paper.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I like it. I'm not sure what it is that catches me, but I really like it. And I respect the result of working on a tablet. It really isn't easy. I tried it for awhile and while it was better than with a mouse, it still did no justice to my artistic talent.

Gray Claw

Member!
Reaction score
Akule said:
;) smart guy. Its ****ing hard using my tablet, but :( yeah i cant really do much shading and the like with ym tablet. I have a sketch of a model from my class thats done paper/pencil but you guys wont get too see it because by the time im done it wont be a sketch ;)

And yesh, its a work in progress. im still working on the shading and i raelly have trouble doing depth in the computer because its not as easy as with say a pencil/paper.
That is so true... :-/ Though I've kinda learnt to switch between different tools to do different things. I keep adjusting the opacitiy/flow of my brushes and do different things on different layers...that's one big advantage PS has over paper.

Then there's hand/eye co-ordination...you have to look both at the screen and the tablet...confusing and I've had a tablet for a year now... >.<

EDIT: Also, biggest apologies to Gray Claw. >.> This is obviously Kitty who forgot to switch from he brother's account. -_-

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Akule said:
yeah i cant really do much shading and the like with ym tablet..
Can't you just set opacity jitter to stylus?

Reaction score
Website
www.visualdesigncore.com
Yeah i cant change the settings but when i draw, i dont know, i just get into it and i dont really just STOP too change. The opacity changes with how hard i push and the like but im new too my tablet so im still figuring things out.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It amazes me on the talent akule has. Where did you learn to draw like this?

Pains Requiem

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hold on, wtf.. this post doesnt have a name/sig/avatar.. what the hell?

Zerglite

Reaction score
daryn, its CB...

cort got rid of his name

:)

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
When did this happen?

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you have to look both at the screen and the tablet
Why would you have to do that...? If you hold onto your tablet pretty tightly I don't think it should go anywhere.