Sc2 campaign

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
Point and click? dialog trees? upgrade units between battles? what are your thoughts on the new campaign system?

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty awesome. It might destroy the narrative (hopefully it improves it) but the whole trend in gaming to the "zomg linear = bad an nonlinear = 10 million games sold lol" is destroying the gaming industry.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
better than the crap wc3 threw at us
No, see the WCIII allowed the storytelling to progressive far powerfully, it also removed the player from being the "unnamed person" which disengages the player from the game itself, but allows us more to identify with a specific character, and the strory itself. This allows the game to progress and expand, like Artanis is the original executor in SC, but as the player we can't fully appreciate that in SC. This allows the story to flow more powerfully, and expand without to much terrible retconning.

Chris Metzen (with the exception of WOW, and the Expansion maps for SC) has made an exceptional story, and this allows him more freedom to explore the universe down to minute details and (hopefully) expand the SCII universe to a more expansive story which will hopefully blow the **** out of my mind.

L

Laharl

By "That crap Warcraft III threw at us" I imagine he meant the beginning of the butcher of Warcraft lore.

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry if its in a random, chaotic, and contradictory but I am pulling them from old memories and some units I eventually dropped for others or revised to something new.

General:

I wanted to create supply lines to defend and attack. Plus it might put a crimp in early base rushing.
All units that use ammunition will now have a finite amounts of ammo. Human units have to either return to the armory, supply base, APC, carrier, supply vehicle, etc to restock. If you group select you see total ammo and types. Protoss units have their ammo warped in but it takes the same amount of time as a scarab or interceptor build. Zerg have to regenerate their ammo. They can speed it up by eating enemy units or critters after the have been destroyed. It would be like a combination of a defilers cannibalize and WC I & II raise skeletons, the killed unit has to be eaten before it quickly rots away or burns down.

Similarly spacecraft will require fuel. Over a planet they will burn it up at a slow rate when hovering and a faster rate when moving. A spacecraft will either have to land, go into orbit, or refuel when it runs low on fuel otherwise it will crash when it runs out. In space fuel is only used when you begin moving, turn or break. Protoss fliers will all use reactionless drives and not need fuel. Zerg fliers use stamina instead of fuel and must rest to regenerate their stamina. Some Zerg, such as Overlords, however can hover over a planet without using stamina.

I liked the idea of shifting least, most, and somewhere in between when it came to another attribute.

Maximum unit cap and group select size would be species dependent. I felt that each species general traits (cheap and plenty but weak; expensive, few, but strong; and somewhere in between) was not being lived up to. I felt that this was partly due to all species having the same maximum number of units and all having the same maximum group size. I liked 12 for the max group size on humans as I could put together a decent well rounded squad or squadron but I felt that this did not work as well for the other species. I would change it too the following:

Humans: Max group size 12 / Max units 300

Like I said above I felt that the existing group size worked. I upped the max unit size to factor in the need for unit Resupply.

Protoss: Max group size 4 / Max units 100

I feel that few, powerful, and expensive should be just that. I felt that any less would the Protoss too few units to cover an area, however their logistic freedom will allow them to allocate more units to combat. Don’t worry their power, durability, expense, and build time will be scaled up to match.

Zerg: Max group size 36 / Max units 900

Unit rotation is going to be very important for the Zerg as their ranged attackers will need to be replaced with fresh ones frequently. Don’t worry their power, durability, expense, and build time will be scaled down to match.

I though it was odd that starcraft units kept track of their kills but did nothing with kill count. Experience boosts would given for marking a certain amount of attacks, saves, etc.

Human Marines: Same as before except,

Depleted Uranium upgrade: No longer extends range but increases damage against hard armor and. large units, and structures (+2). Medium sized units and armor effectiveness mostly depends on whether it is biological or mechanical as it is more effective on mechanized units.

Explosive Ammo Upgrade: Ammunition that is designed to detonate just after penetrating the target. It increases damage against light armor and small units (+2). Effectiveness on medium sized units and armor depends on whether it is biological or mechanical as it is more effective against biological units.

Magnaflux Ammunition: Developed for use against shields and defensive matrices (+2/-4). During battle against Protoss forces that their ships shields were susceptible to certain forms of ion cannon fire. If a shield was struck by an ion blast of one polarity then suddenly hit with one of the opposite polarity it would do several times more damage to the shield than a single regular blast. Since current technology does not allow for practical miniaturization of ion cannon other ways had to be developed to reproduce the effect. This was achieved through the creation of a composite bullet. The dual core of the bullet is made of a material that produces a moderate electrical charge on impact. The front core produces a positive charge while the rear core produces a negative. The body of the shell shatters into fine conductive powder. The first charge vaporizes the powder into a small ionized cloud when the second charge cancels out then overwhelms the first and reverses the polarity of the ionized cloud that damages the shields and defensive matrices. It is significantly less effective as conventional ammo against unshielded targets.

Hand grenade upgrade: Gives each marine about 3-5 hand grenades. Has the same damage and flight time as vulture’s grandees and can be seen when they are thrown but can only be thrown about two or three spaces.

Resupply: Marines carry only enough ammo for 100 bursts, each burst representing 10 rounds on the unit info display, before having to reload. For marines to Resupply their ammo and grenades they have to go to either an APC, dropship, supply depot, supply vehicle, or armory. If interrupted they only get the ammo up to the point of interruption.

APC and dropship Resupply require the marines (up to 12) to enter the craft where they can all be resupplied at the same time in a short matter of time (about the same as medic healing speed).

Supply vehicle Resupply requires selecting Marines and right clicking on it. It then rearms up to two of them at a time(same amount of time as a scarab or interceptor build).

Supply depot Resupply requires selecting Marines and right clicking on it. They (up to 12) enter and rearms them all (same amount of time as a scarab or interceptor build).

Armory Resupply is done as a casting and is instant but requires using up a charge. Otherwise select Marines and right click on it. It then slowly, about ¼ to ½ the build time for a Marine, Resupply them. However you can have several groups reaming at the same time.

Experience boosts:

For rifle kills,

After 10 kills a Marine gets a +1 boost to his range

After 20 kills a Marine gets modest drop in probability of being hit by some types of enemy fire.

After 30 kills a Marine gets an increase in his rate of fire (halfway between normal and stim packed).

After 40 kills a Marine gets an increase in sprinting speed (halfway between normal and stim packed). It will however slowdown to normal after so much time running. He will have to stop for a little while to build it back up.

For hand grenade kills,

After 30 kills +1 boost to grenade throw distance.

After 60 kills grenade throw time is reduced in half.

*Notes

Marine rifles can no longer damage large heavily armored units and buildings. Tanks, Ultralisks, Battle cruisers, etc are now immune to Marine fire but the first two can still be damaged by grenades.

I had considered letting the player choose ammo types (once upgraded to the other types) and be bound to that type they reloaded. But scrapped it as too much micro. It now magically switches to the right type for the type of target.

Armor and health are now split like health and shields. A unit’s armor has to be destroyed before it takes core health damage. Of course if the unit has shields or defensive matrix you have to fight through that before the armor can be attacked. The unit does not take symptoms of damage until the core health is damaged. Zerg do not get this advantage as their armor is part of their biology.

Protoss Zealot: Same as before except the Zealot is no longer limited to just melee attacks. They now have the ability to teleport their blades into targets at distance. The rate of fire is half that of melee attacks and has a range of 5 spaces. Switching between ranged and melee attack is automatic depending on the situation and target.

Repulse upgrade: Gives the Zealot the ability to psychicly shove a unit and some forms of fire. The Zealot now has mana like other caster units. The object can be briefly stunned by the shove. How far it is thrown and how long it is stunned depends on the size and how much of a charge the Zealot had at the time. A lone Zealot can not psi shove a tank but it could nudge the barrel of its cannon and several groups of Zealots could shove a tank hard enough to damage it.

Levitate upgrade: Gives the Zealot the ability to briefly levitate above the ground. They are high enough to avoid ground based melee attacks but can still be hit by ground fire. It is too low to be hit by AA weapons.

Leap attack upgrade: Gives the Zealot the ability to jump last 3 spaces to the target and doubles melee attack damage.

Experience boosts:

After 30 kills a Zealot gets a +1 boost to his ranged and melee attacks (psi blades double their length. during melee attacks.

After 60 kills a Zealot’s attack speed doubles.

After 90 kills a Zealot’s shield recharging speed doubles.

After 120 kills a Zealot’s movement speed increases by 50%.

After 150 kills a Zealot’s shield recharging speed doubles again.

*Notes I like the super speed idea for them in SC II I should have done something like that.

Zerg Zergling: Same as before except, now four hatch per egg instead of two.

Leap attack upgrade: Gives the Zergling the ability to jump last two spaces to the target and increases their damage by 25%.

Predigest upgrade: Gives the Zergling the ability regurgitate an acid on the target it is attacking. A much smaller and weaker than the Defiler’s plague attack. It only does 1 point of damage per second for a maximum of 10 seconds. The Zegling has to have been attacking the target for at least 5 seconds before it can use it on its target and it wont be able to use it again for another 30 seconds.

Quadruped upgrade: Transforms a Zergling from a biped to a quadruped. It also increases its running and attack speeds by 50% and increases leap attack range by 1 space. It also gives it the ability to latch onto the targets it is attacking. If the target being attacked has no melee ability it will need friendly units to fight it off of them.

Experience boosts:

After 05 kills a Zerglin’s attack speed increases by 25%.

After 10 kills a Zerglin’s regeneration increases by 25%
This isn't mine, it's from a fellow at Spacebattles.com - 3D scifi movies, which I also frequent. I think these ideas make a hell of a lot of sense, just probably wouldn't be cost-worthy b/c of computing power, RAM etc.