Protoss Probe Initial Harassment Blocking

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm extremely frustrated with protoss gosus harassing me with their probes. They come in, my scv can't block them or kill them, my barrax isn't even done yet, they build a refinery on top of mine right before my 12th scv comes out. It also builds a pylon next to the minerals so that my scvs can't return money. Moreover, it sometimes calls a pylon between my supply and barrax.

One idea is to go to their base and build my own refinery. But that doesn't help me from the zealots and etc.

I'm looking for quality answers on how to block this type of harrassment. Assume the protoss player is right next to you and scouts your base first.

aphextwin

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
just let them build it... and later bring a few marine to kill the gas / pylon its there waste of 100 mineral

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if its a close location, ignore the gas, take out the plyon with ur scv and go mm vs P instead, this will ensure u a fast and easy victory since mm > P in close location for massive cheeseness :(

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
1) I need gas for M&Ms. Besides M&Ms die to dragoons (his forces will outnumber mine anyways).
2) Ignoring the refinery and destroying the pylon, or ignoring any of the buildings = death (unless your opponent is total noob. )
3) Sorry I don't have a replay, despite the same tactic killing me twice in a day.
4) These guys are korean pros with 5 times as much victory (3digits) as losses. So they have god-like micro. I can beat players who just build like one pylon in my base but I couldn't kill the probe with a marine (they're that good). Leaving a marine at the entrance so that it can't escape enables it to harass me more. Chasing it enables it to escape. Building 3 or more marines prevents me from getting a tank early. (12 O'clock Terran is the worst for me because micromanaging the tank to kill dragoons is harder than any other region).

I got an idea of blocking the ramp with 2 scvs like with a zergling rush (without the marines) but this would slow down my mineral progress.

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
tell them to play me, i'll show you that thier not korean pros --; also if u went rine u can easily outnumber him withing 6 min in game. 12/3 if they cheese you, you cheese them back :O

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by CuteGuyNo.1
tell them to play me, i'll show you that thier not korean pros --; also if u went rine u can easily outnumber him withing 6 min in game. 12/3 if they cheese you, you cheese them back :O
lol, that'd be awesome. Try changing your computer language to korean, then play starcraft. You should get a korean list of games. See stats of players with lots of wins (3digits) with little losses(2digits).

Also, I only get 1 barrax, how many do you get? Also marines can outnumber zealots but I doubt they can outnumber dragoons.

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i play on korean league server, thier not that hard....most of them are just like normal player...
to use mm on toss 12/3, since they plyon you they wasted minerals...that delays thier unit early on, if they zealot u win by microing, if they goon just outmicro them. The trick is to finish off asap so they cannot tech nor macro, this will teach them not to cheese cause they will get cheese back, watch some of NTT's replay to see how infantry is used to beat protoss or murder reps...=\

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yeah I know, most of them aren't. But occasionally you might run into someone really good. I'm not that good so my standards are probably lower than yours.

So what was your strategy again? Make marines out of how many barrax if what?

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if it were me, i'd make rines to kill of gas first, then once gas is off and im still producing rax and almost done 2nd rax, i will attack with scv+rine to take him out asap, while doing this i will tech at home and mayb a 3rd rax if needed, since12/3 location is close your rine should reach it fast

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Honestly, that sounds crazy to me! lol, I don't see marines killing dragoons, but I just might give it a try.I mean, 3 marines almost kill a single dragoon (even with micro), but with multiple dragoons, that just seems unpractical. How many marines would you send?

Also, wouldn't you destroy the gas with scvs earlier?

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i will only attack if needed, depending on my own placement and his harassment skill with probe, i usally ignore it on a 12/3 basis. Inorder for rine to beat goon, early on attack it with scv while getting stim and medic, toss will have to get range and more goon so this is ur chance to win :(

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Wouldn't getting tanks be better? I mean, by the time I have a considerable force of M&Ms, time will have gone by from building the academy, destroying the refinery, and making another barrax. I can outnumber him if he only has like 4 dragoons (I actually have no idea).

I'll try attacking them with scvs also.

Also, when the probe calls a pylon near the minerals it decreases my money a lot!!! I can't prevent him from coming in cuz it comes in when I'm building my 1st supply. I usually just send another scv to attack it, of course it just runs around, building stuff until my marine is out.

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
don't make tank if he took your gas, he can have goon and zeal raping ur wall uber fast. as for the mineral plyon, send the scv behind the mineral to attack it since they can't do much anyway, if they do that get rine and kill probe asap, if they dont take gas, continue with metal otherwise go mm

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If I make M&Ms, I'd have to eventually make the refinery. So I would just play as if the opponent was zerg (the M&Ms part)? Would you get the standard 9Marine 2Medic pack or more?

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I actually got the exact location for the single SCV to block a ramp; you put it on the small square crack. It works pretty well, I don't think I have to go M&Ms now.

My only concern is the reaver drop though, mines seem to work well but if he drops it right in middle of my mineral field, then the mines will kill my SCVs, any solutions? I try using a tank but he can drop it right next to it...

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
make 1 tank and put turret beside it, then at another place, place another turret this will make him lose shuttle if he tries to drop you, mines are only good if u put them out of mineral locatoin

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yeah, I know what to do now. I'll have 2 or 3 tanks in my base with a turret next to each. I'll also put mines next to the turrets, but away from the tanks in case dark templars try and attack. I'll place one of the tanks behind the mineral line.

Cute: I'd like to see some of your replays, if you don't mind, I just want to see some of the strategies you've listed above. I think it might help all of us.