Longest Duel

Samsara

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.WarcraftForums.com
What is the longest duel you've had?

I currently started a new character on Spirestone and around lvl 21 i dueled a 20 rogue. I figured "Piece of cake". Damn was i wrong. the match lasted roughly 15-20 minutes at least. For starters, the guy was a subtlety talent tree rogue which meant "Sap+/tickle+vanish+/laugh" for about 3 minutes before he established that he will be invisible half teh battle. Okay so the first real "fight" brought us each to around 40-50 health, that was my que to do flash of light followed by holy light and his que to run the hell out of there and vanish and use a potion/bandage. Repeat. We did this about 9 times, 3 of which were stalemates, 4 "victories" on my part (he survived but i had more life and would have owned him if the battle lasted one more second) and he owned me 2 times (saved by divine shield/BoP and lay on hands). If it hadnt been for blessing of wisdom and the lucky crit at the end, the fight would still be raging.

Stryder

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Longest duel I had was with a priest, both lvl 60 and skilled, we had to battle for 30 minutes before he feared me out of the flag and I got forfeit cause of the timer.

Beer $lut

Reaction score
I am the ultimate pally killer. But with some of the best pallys on our server i have had some pretty damn long duels.

dP

Member!
Reaction score
Againsed a paladin alchemist. He always healed and used his shields and stuff... it lasted so long, then a 60 walked by and shot him.

BluddLuSt4Life

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.asstr.org
Most of my duels don't last all that long. I did have a PvP battle in booty bay with a warrior that lasted like FOREVER. 60 Orc warrior named Raul on Burning Legion, has the full valor set and a doomsaw -_-;;

He chased me around booty bay for like 40 minutes, I went through like 4 free action potions, I dont even know how many bandages and health pots. I must have shot about 600 arrows at him, I barely even scratched him. He eventually killed me. Warriors aren't gimped at endgame, thats for sure.

BTW, this was as my 60 huntress.

Keletarise

Member!
Reaction score
Bludd - Speaking as a warrior... (currently L58 - will hit 59 tonight)

PvP is never really "easy", and a good player of any class has the ability to take down others of any other class. And Warriors do tend to be out-gunned in PvP anyways because our increased AC doesn't really make up for our relatively lacking ability to deal damage. If you're a Defensively specced Warrior (and I am), the DPS gap is all the larger. And PvP is *all* about who unleashes the most damage, soonest.

But having said that, Hunters are some of the easiest characters for a Warrior to kill. Why? The large bulk of a Hunter's strategy for winning is to tie up the intended victim with the pet, then unload your VERY powerful ranged attacks. This is amazingly effective in PvE, and not a bad idea in PvP against many classes.

But in PvP, the players you face are (usually) smarter than most Mobs. Your pet's 'Growl' ability does nothing anymore (same as Warrior Taunts), and the best it can really do is to hurt me while I'm in the process of killing you. Like any other Warrior would, if we ever faced each other, rest assured that the ony time I will spend on your pet is to apply and to reapply a Hamstring (-60% speed at high levels). I will then do the same to YOU, after using "Intercept" to charge and close the gap. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use your run buff. I'll stop chasing you long enough to shoot you with a arrow for the lovely 50% stun effect....

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you can slow me lots and you WILL do some REAL damage while I work to get my Mace embedded into your skull.

But once you're within striking distance, the real battle is effectively over. Again, hamstring so you can't escape, and since I happen to be defensively specc'd, you should expect to be knocked out of your senses a couple times, too. (Improved) Revenge has a chance of stun, my mace has a chance to stun, and I have "Concussive Bow" (5 second stun) which is a very seldom used but VERY nice ability which Defensive Warrs get.

With those tools, I have never failed to take down any Hunter I've faced. Except when I got cocky and tried taking on one that was 4 levels higher. I subsequently got my butt handed to me. Just as I should have... :D The more normal course is that I hamstring the pet, close the distance, and then wind up chasing the Hunter all over hill and dale until I can finish him off. Of course, winning against a Hunter with enough left over to put your pet down is difficult, though. The Bear/Cat will usually gets it's revenge if I hang around that long. So I normally have to Hamstring and run away from the kitty.

So I *must* give you major props for holding out against a level 60 Warr for as long as you did. That's NOT easy for a Hunter to do, becase Warrs have some good tools to close the gap,and keep it closed. Plus a healthy dose of Damage reduction (56% in my case) to take some of the sting out of your Ranged abilities.

But it's been my experience that Hunters OWN spellcasters in ways that Warrs can only be jealous of. Beating a Mage is exremely difficult for a Warr because they freeze us, stopping us completely, and unload from a distance. We have to get lucky enough to close the distance and then land a well timed "Pummel" to shut off spellcasting for a few moments while we (hopefully) do enough damage to . This is NOT easy against a spellcaster with even half a brain. Freeze/Blink/Nuke... Lather Rinse Repeat... Wash the dead Warrior out of your hair with plenty of warm (conjured) water. Sit down and have a nice drink to celebrate.

Hunters *want* to fight from a distance, so being rooted while someone creates distance between you only plays into your hands. Land a single "Aimed Shot" (that's what it's called?) and the spellcaster is immediately 1/3rd to 1/2 dead in one pull of the trigger. BEAUTUFUL!!! Warriors are almost completely useless outside of melee range, except for pulling mobs. (Which I prefer to do instead of the Hunter - Just because if I get the initial Aggro it's MUCH easier for me to keep it. I can (nearly) always take Aggro away from almost anyone, but taking and holding is yet another step more difficult. Better to have it to begin with.)

And Warlocks can be even tougher than Mages - They can literally fear Warriors to death. The exception is if the warrior happens to be undead... Then you get a dead Lock. I don't fight 'Locks at all unless forced to. I learned after three in a row kept me so Feared that I never landed a single swing. And none of those three even bothered to summon their pet when they saw me coming.

BluddLuSt4Life

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.asstr.org
Yeah, I am pretty sure this guy is Arms/fury, so he is dishing out some serious damage with that sick 2h weapon. I managed to stay away from him for a long time with FA potions and wingclip, got him down to about 3/4 hp at one point when he kept getting chain-dazed by bruisers. But yeah, warriors are really the only class I have major problems against as my hunter. Even other hunters are pretty much a joke, because they usually try and engage me at range and I have 43 points in marksman :)

Keletarise

Member!
Reaction score
Yah - Like I mentioned, since PvP is all about how much damage you can unload against the other guy faster than he unloads on you, 99% of the Warriors who PvP are Arms/Fury specced. So if this Warr was spoiling for PvP, you can bet that Tanking isn't in his deck of cards. Most Defensive guys don't go looking for fights... We're too busy mining Instances for drops, anyways! :D

I'm on a PvE server and PvP only when I feel I need to. Mostly when a bunch of 30~50 idiots decide that it's fun to go to Newbie areas and gank everything. I find this to be INCREDIBLY annoying, and therefore revenge lop-sided battles when I find them. So when the shout goes out amongst the Guild(s), we all come back with our high level chars to dish out the appropriate lesson. Thankfuly, Emotes still seem to work for communicating across battle lines. Because you can explain to them that the only reason they're being slaughtered, viciously, repeatedly, without mercy, all the way home, so they can have the pleasure of watching us dismantle their entire village is because they were being idiots for beating up on Lowbies.

A fair fight is a BEAUTIFUL THING!! Beating up on someone with no chance to win is just childish, and therefore should receive the appropriate payback.

Anyways...

Kel

Keletarise

Member!
Reaction score
Beer $lut said:
Warriors out gunned in PvP? LoL

Through 3/4rs of the game.... Absolutely! At low levels it's so lopsided it isn't even funny... Through the 20's and 30's it was rare for me to recover from stuns long enough to even land more than a couple swings... 40's?? Tougher battles for sure, and a good Warr can beat a lazy Rogue. But not a well-played Rogue.

Now, at high levels when we get a suit of Blue gear, the best weapons, and are Arms Fury specc'd? That's a more even proposition. But a good Stun-Rogue??? Even the best have a hard time, and it boils down to the Rogue landing it's special attacks. I miss a Hamstring and (especially) Rend? Rogue wins. You get us stunned, stealth, land the Cheap Shot, then the Rogue pretty much wins. You crit on a special attack, and the Warr is in trouble. But if you can't pull that off, then you lose.

Kel :)

Ganzu

Member!
Reaction score
Spellcasters are raped in PVP vs. Hunters if they dont know what they are doing. Yeah its great to get off a few arrows early on in the battle with a Hunter. about 80% of all my duels up to level 52 have req. me to fight melee not losing but 2. Once to a Paladin that was 3 levels higher and to a rogue who happened to actually get in a gouge every cooldown. :(

Brandon

Member!
Reaction score
Samsara said:
What is the longest duel you've had?

I currently started a new character on Spirestone and around lvl 21 i dueled a 20 rogue. I figured "Piece of cake". Damn was i wrong. the match lasted roughly 15-20 minutes at least. For starters, the guy was a subtlety talent tree rogue which meant "Sap+/tickle+vanish+/laugh" for about 3 minutes before he established that he will be invisible half teh battle. Okay so the first real "fight" brought us each to around 40-50 health, that was my que to do flash of light followed by holy light and his que to run the hell out of there and vanish and use a potion/bandage. Repeat. We did this about 9 times, 3 of which were stalemates, 4 "victories" on my part (he survived but i had more life and would have owned him if the battle lasted one more second) and he owned me 2 times (saved by divine shield/BoP and lay on hands). If it hadnt been for blessing of wisdom and the lucky crit at the end, the fight would still be raging.
Whoa thats insane, dude get a better char, and also should be no healing :frustrate

Keletarise

Member!
Reaction score
You shouldn't be able to throw down an invulnerability shield while you heal either, but....

Kel ;)

Beer $lut

Reaction score
Stop double posting and if you suck as a warrior its your own fault not your classes fault.

Keletarise

Member!
Reaction score
Play a Warrior and then you'll have some knowledge to base your comments on. Until then, you're just a Troll.

Enjoy your day.

Kel

Keletarise

Member!
Reaction score
Then kindly explain to me what your issue is....

I said that Warriors are unbalanced at low levels - This is an acknowledged FACT. Even Blizzard admits it, and has stated they will change the class because they took too much away. Hell, it's in the book that Warrs are best off solo questing below their levels And that was written before the game was released!. They try to make it sound nice, but that is also a clear admission that Warrs are NOT the equal of other classes. If you can't solo the same stuff, then you clearly are weaker. Look at the Warrior description on the WoW website - "If you enjoy taking a beating..." Puh-leeeze!!!

I also said that at high evels the battle is more even - If the Rogue lands it's special attacks, the Warrior has a VERY hard time winning. If the Rogue can't do that, then the Rogue loses. That is the way the class is designed - There is not a single leather-wearer in the game that cdan toe to toe with a Warr. So Rogues MUST land their numerous special attacks to win. Any Rogue who is idiot enough to walk up to a plate wearer trying to go toe to toe is stupid and deserves to die.

I honestly do NOT see anything wrong with these statements.

As far as not being able to play my class?? Those I play with remember me and invite me back. The spellcasters I group with rarely die, and then only because I've either been taken out first or because they're stupid and got overly aggressive. There are two level 60 Rogues in my Guild who constantly want me with them, because I can, and DO save them from beatings. I protect my people well enough that they want to keep me around. A very fine benchmark, thankyouverymuch.

I could also say that if you are losing to a lot of Warriors then you suck as a Rogue, but I'm not that much of a arrogant dikkk.

Kel

Vic

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
i saw a duel between a level 30 pally and a 31 priest lasted for about 45 min

it was pretty much when the priest ran out of mana he would fear the pally run off sit and drink then fear him again run off and drink more

they did this twice and i watched both times it was really funny they both won once

Oxide08

[New And Improved!]
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
longest duel i was ever in was a naked duel between me - lvl 28 -and a lvl 28 rogue ... fists only .. lasted like 10 min befor i put my bow on and shot him :D