Legality question? Selling Items...

Is it legal to sell Diablo 2 items for money?

• Yes

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Naruto

Member!
Reaction score
By the time you notice, it will be too late.
Website
Visit site
Ok, not that im planning on doing this or anything but im just curious if this is legal. We all know about people selling items and stuff online. The question I'm asking you is, would it be illegal to steal from these people? Say someone was to modify the company's server so that all the money was transfered to a different account during transactions. If that company was to attempt to sue me, um I mean that person ~_^, would they have a valid case? I know that in blizzard's agreement they say all items, accounts, etc. are blizzards property. So technically no one should be allowed to sell them right?. However, since blizzard has yet to successfully sue any of these companies, I am lead to believe that perhaps these businesses are in some way legitimate. Anyways just wondering what you guys think about this issue.

Starfish

Member!
Reaction score
your like the "master-of-poll-startimg" :p

@Topic: I actually dont know if its illegal :confused: I think so...

X

xjMaN88lx

its legal... i do it all the time. its not like those other games where the company specifically says DO NOT SELL ANY OF THESE ITEMS. As long as you put "These items are property of Blizzard and Battle.Net" you're fine. Hell Bliz probs sells their items on eBay also

Naruto

Member!
Reaction score
By the time you notice, it will be too late.
Website
Visit site
Hum, well if you think of it by agreeing to the user agreement you are saying that all the data stored on battle.net is blizzard's property. What people are doing here is no different than if someone stole your car and sold it for parts. Just about all of us would agree that that is illegal, so why wouldn't be selling these items be considered illegal too?

X

xjMaN88lx

I used to sell like 100+ unid elite items when i had my pbot in like 1 sale and get like 50.00 for them.. now i sell like singal items i manage getting.. im going away for the summer and when i get back i will have up more sales.. right now i have tons of hc elites.. useast dual leech rings and a 1.08 goldwrap which im trying to sell.. its good for those few people that collect those old items from the past

Aurin123

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Legality of Item Sales

Here's my take on it:

From what I understand, most of the "companies" selling items on eBay and whatnot are not actually charging money for the item itself, but rather asking for a fee for "finding" (read: duping, hacking, importing, etc) the item in question. The item remains the property of Blizzard, as the "item" itself is simply a collection of data on their servers. The item simply is transferred from the posession of one character to another... it is for this transfer service for which a person is asked to pay.

Just my .02,
Zak

t.A.T.u97

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.tatu.us
I don't get it,
If Blizzard didn't want you to sell these things why don't they do anything about it? All they do is sit on their ass and make patches. I say if Blizzard doesn't say or do anything about it then it is ok. If they do something and don't want people selling things then most likely people will stop. I think they would have done something if it was illegal then again they haven't done the patch yet.

~Heather~ Warned for Spamming (oo lala) Off Topicness(oh baby) And Agressive(Men like Aggressive women!)

Ultimate Empire

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Yes. It is legal to sell the finders fee. BUT! It is illegal for them to sell duped items. BLIZ, IF YOU ARE LISTENING, THAT IS WHERE YOU CAN HIT THEM! IF THEY ARE DUPING ITEMS, THEY AREN'T FINDING THEM! SUE THEM NOW!

and thats my say.

RuneyPoo

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
From what I see this is perfectly LEGAL. But these companies that sale stuff are called "Bit Brokers." I believe they have to contact Blizzard before selling though, if they did not contact blizzard, then Blizz could Sue these companies.