I've got a noob question about surrounding.

kobokok

Reaction score
The question is... how to surround units? How to approach enemy units without attacking them? Ranged and melee alike...
I've tried many H, A+left click, S, right click combos but I still can't get it.
People seem not mention it because it's like so easy to figure it out...
Can any one of you teach me, PLEASE?

xgoonx

Member!
Reaction score
juts click beyond the unit u want to approach and once all of ur units are all the way arround the unit attack that unit

example
say if i had 5 grunts, and i was going to attack a low hp keeper of the grove,
i would click on the ground behind him and when i have grunts around him i woul attack
keeper=k grunt =g right click=r starting point=s
..............s..............
..........g.....g...........
........g...k...g...........
............g................
.............r...............

G-Blunted

Member!
Reaction score
Well that's one way I suppose...

But (i'll explain from the top) in general you need to be ahead of the target, moving with the target, be quicker than your target, or be trying to surround something not moving. Once you meet one of those criteria, say you want to surround. You take your army, turn off formation movement (toggled with Alt+F), and hunt down the unit. Now lets say you're trying to surround a target that isn't moving, because these are the easiest. We'll say you're trying to surround AM casting blizz using your dk+5 ghouls (you can do it with 4, but that's hella ****in gosu). He starts casting, just walk up to him using right click, then you want to walk past him enough so that your units generally surround him already. Then once you units are all around him, like you got some ghouls up top of him, below, and some on the side...you use MOVE command and order units to MOVE to the target. This is what initiates the surround. Once surrounded, tell army to attack the target.

Basically in a nut shell you have to "Generally surround the unit" before you actually surround. Think, if you dfidn't "Generally surround the unit" before you did your move+click on the unit, then they would just kind of follow the target and thats not good.

Also key to the surround is SPAMMING move command on to the target...once isn't enough. Once you want to "go in for the surround" you gotta spam the shit outta M+Click because otherwise you won't get him.

NEWays, hope that helps...

xgoonx

Member!
Reaction score
u think my explanation was good?

G-Blunted

Member!
Reaction score
Yes I loved your diagram...I was going to actually use it in mine as illustration of the "General surround"...except you don't attack the target. You must use "move" to surround...and THEN attack the target...Getting in to the habbit of surrounding with "move" instead of "attack" is good because then you can use it to surround with ranged units and use the same instincts. If you go around surrounding with grunts or ghouls all the time, you'll go to surround with fiends or dryads and be like, "Whoops" because they won't surround unless you use 'move'..

xgoonx

Member!
Reaction score
i know i was showing that u move passed the keeper, then ur 5 grunts are arround him and then atttack

kobokok

Reaction score
That's it man!! Just what I wanted to know!! The M button that I haven't pressed in years!!
Thank you G-Blunted and xgoonx very much for your explanations. Right-click is hard because some melee units attack quite far, and the grunts won't move when attacking, which is only in one kind of position that might or might not succeed. With the move command units can reposition many many times until the Keeper can just turn around :p

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
If you use sleep. Group your ghouls and dreadlord together early on, move to an area a little off from the sleeped unit in box formation. Then close in the gaps by moving all selected units the sleeped unit, then manually attack him. If you are successful, you can kill the unit or force him to teleport.

Later, you can surrond with aboms or skeletons, and also battle intensity can add to your favor.

Stuns can be attacked automatically.

G-Blunted

Member!
Reaction score
Hellwolf_36 said:
Then close in the gap by attacking the sleeped unit, then manually attack him.

That's just a very bad idea. You want to use "Move" to surround, not "attack". Especially when it comes to a sleeped unit.

xgoonx

Member!
Reaction score
yeah ur suposed to wait till it wakes up

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Well you are supposed to wait for the Invulnerable buff to be removed so you can wake him up yourself. But you have a short time to do this when you are facing a unit.

I guess the way I wrote it was a little strange at first, I re-moddified it. Stuns should still contail move in box, close gap then kill off.

Orc with Ensare is a little more harder to do considering nets only last 2.5 on heroes. A unit its not a problem cause its 12 seconds. You might need to slap more than 1 net or use tc's war stomp to keep him pinned, but it is worth it if you can kill them off. Just don't waste too many nets or you won't have snare for air or other units for a while.

TheoStormhawk

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
kobokok said:
The question is... how to surround units? How to approach enemy units without attacking them? Ranged and melee alike...
I've tried many H, A+left click, S, right click combos but I still can't get it.
People seem not mention it because it's like so easy to figure it out...
Can any one of you teach me, PLEASE?
U have to stun it if u can't catch it. Than u go around it and use "move", this works even with ranged units.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Just make sure you don't leave any "escaping room" or surrond with units that can be killed off.

TheoStormhawk

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Yeah.
Also the enemy usually sees your move and will try to avoid being surrounded keeping another unit (or more) close to the targeted one. Another tehnique to prevent from being caught (if it is a hero taargeted) is to pass to the targeted unit the town scroll.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Aiming tps is key when you need to defend. One AT game, Greg tps behind my burrows and barracks, and he single handedly took out one enemy team. He was able to escape when the enemy manage to get to him. After that attack, me him and Jeff countered and won the game.

But this is if your opponent is a noob and doesn't back up from the town hall.

If you are having trouble catching the people you surrond, try these methods to catch them.

Sorceress - Slow, Dryad - Slow Poison, Necromancer - Cripple, Shaman - Purge, Mud Golem (from merc camp) - Slow, or any other stuns or hero spell that slows down targets.