HU~ priests

Mud

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
priests

i think priests are the most widely used (non tier-one) and versitile units in the whole game of warcraft

every human player uses them, in almost every strat known...and all three of their spells, while not only all being EXTREMELY effective, but they all help in different aspects of the game...making the priest (in my opinion) the most useful and important unit in the whole game...based on what it does for the human race..i dont believe any other race has such a unit that is a MUST in any game

while the damage and HP of priests are nothing to scream about...this is how it should be...they are weak and frigile...but blizzard has done as such to eliminate the caster cheese that so many humans were using

healing: adds 20 HP (autocast)- great for creeping...this saves you exponential amounts of gold...your footies stay fresh for each new creep...giving you gold to upgrade to later tiers while creeping instead of having to resupply your forces all the time

dispel: dispels buffs and deals 200 dmg to summons- wonderful for rendering opposing casters obsolete...let them drain their mana by blood lusting, faeire firing, and creating skeletons...only to be sucked away by dispel

inner fire: i have preached in many different threads so far about inner fire...10% extra damage and 5 armor (autocast)...this spell is relatively inexpensive..enabling about 6 preists to inner fire an entire army of units...this ability turns your army into one big recking force..and giving you the upper hand in almost any battle

tell me what you all think...and if youd like to argue for anotehr unit in warcraft that is more important go for it

p.s. excluding workers of any kind

Swordancer

Member!
Reaction score
priests tier 1 healing is > orc tier 3 healing lolz! well in theory it is if you had one priest for every unit :p

Thistle

Senior Spammer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
moon wells are good because they have mana and healing (like a priest) and orc burrows because they hide ur peons so they cant get killed and does damage

Mud

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Faerie
moon wells are good because they have mana and healing (like a priest) and orc burrows because they hide ur peons so they cant get killed and does damage
yeah they are both kind of important because they allow you to build units...i havent seen many games won by buildings...

i was refering to units here

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Priests, yes. It's insane for Humans. Inner Fire enables you to increase armor, + Devotion Aura and the armor increase could probably equal more or less lv2 armor. That enables you to get Animal War Training and 3/0 and you still can consider it 3/2 with Master Priests, Devotion Aura and AWT.

Also, Human units take one hell of a beating before dying, so Heal is great.

Another great selling point is Dispell Magic; unlike Abolish Magic it's a range, so for the cost of slightly more mana you hurt maybe 5 skels while Abolish hurts one. Great mana usage.

Add in Brilliance Aura, and hell, it's hard to see Priests and Sorc just throwing hell at them.....

On the other hand, I don't think they really compare to Shams and WDs but hey, nobody should be using pure casters anyway.

Siphon

Member!
Reaction score
Website
slashdot.org
I think Mortars are more Important than priests myself... I would argue that Mortars are the best unit in the game. Portable siege that's fast as hell and rapes archers//casters//hunts. If you don't get Mortars with Human you're missing out, although I agree Priests are an excellent unit.

Mud

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Siphon
I think Mortars are more Important than priests myself... I would argue that Mortars are the best unit in the game. Portable siege that's fast as hell and rapes archers//casters//hunts. If you don't get Mortars with Human you're missing out, although I agree Priests are an excellent unit.
wow that is an extremely bold statment...seeing as mortars are also one of the least used units in the game...

hmmm least used but best...i dont connect it...frankly mortars are only god for one thing...support if you mas gunmen in a RT game because they have the same upgrades...sorry man but mortat are not half as versitle or uselful as priests

CitricAcid13

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Mortars are very good... they are well used in any 1v1 IMHO. In my opinion the only caster that can match the priest is maybe the sorceress. Slow is as good as bloodlust in my opinion, just negating the other team instead of buffing yours. Your hero is dying... heal won't be able to save him, invisibility! And btw, Polymorph...

Samsara

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.WarcraftForums.com
for ultimate rapage in the gladen. master priest (3-4)/knights/mortars. yes i use mortars too. only if they were in the racks instead of rifles ppl would get the hint to use them more often. btw i converted to the darkside. i now use undead as my favorite team cuz this is (quote:pan) fiendcraft.

Swordancer

Member!
Reaction score
hawks + priests + sb are a noble looking army of blood elves. although abandoned they stand and strive

CitricAcid13

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Big thing about moon wells is that they aren't mobile. They are better healing but when you're attacking you can't bring that healing with you.

Thistle

Senior Spammer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if they r in ur base they are good... combine a wall of moonwells wth APs behind it and you got a pretty good defense

Mud

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well yeah you have a good defnse...every race has things like that to help defend their bases...and no you cant count the attacking buildings...those suck anyway

CitricAcid13

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
every race has some sort of base defense... Undead upgrades farms into towers and town hall can attack when upgraded Orc = Burrow Human = Militia Night Elf = Moon Wells and attacking buildings

Mud

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
to add on..arc has upgrades that man make it when melee units hit their buildings they deal damage..and human buildings have more armor

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
How can you consider a siege unit decent in battle? Mortars are kinda useless in battle, the only thing is the range and the fact it smacks buildings hard, but any person would find a way to destroy those things easily.

None293823

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ur so right Mud.I think priests give u 25% to ur chance to win.Teh 2nd upgrade-priest master training is important for the mana and having this will prevent them from losing mana easiliy or slow regeneration.The problem is that u need at least a month playing to realize their importance(if ur a newbie).For me it was so although im far not a newbie.
And Faerie,its good to note their importance without allies(but ur 100% right anyway)
And to u, x42bn6 :try strategies.I played VS orc with a friend once.I had only2-3 mortars.But i put them behind the others,with my footies and rifles i whacked his orcs(he would select all his units on my mortars)but then the way was clear,no towers.Thats how i taught him not to use towers in battles with me.For the beginning mortars are good,footmen are easily killed by towers

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I'd rather rush in than get pelted by Towers with the added slowness.

Well, s'pose you could use Mortars in that respect but Gryphs with Storm Hammers work quite well too.

I only use Mortars in the final siege to hit someone's base. I only build the Siege Workshop out of boredom sometimes.