How to use hot keys

Torubu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Keep a unit/building selected.

1. The key "B" is your biggest ally. B when a worker unit is selected takes up the "Build" screen, this is the reason the top players are able to begin building production right out of the town hall.

2. A second quick way to learn a skill for a hero is "F1 + O + (skill hotkey)"

3. Ctrl + (1-0) is another game winner. These keys make it so much easier to micro it isn't funny.. usually you'll use the keystroke 1 as melee, and this combination: 1 + A + click (not on a unit) to command them to pretty much be on alert, focus firing with melee isn't very good. A second would be setting your ranged group to "2." When group 1 is set and fighting, focus fire with the ranged, after being sure you hit "2" to take out their ranged.

4. Ctrl also works on groups of similar buildings, like 2 Arcane Sanctums. When viewing a battle, it's extremely easy to hit, say "8-S" to begin production of Sorceresses, or "8-P" for Priests.

5. Search for your heroes ability hotkeys. The quickest way to get a Water Elemental off with an Archmage is to just quick hit "F1 - W" instead of clicking on the Archmage, then finding the WElemental icon, and clicking.

6. Some hotkeys are obnoxious to learn, and you can find customization sets all around the WC3-based sites, such as Warcraftstrategy.com.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I still think one of the best hotkeys is "a" since it is a much better ally then right clicking. since "attack-move" is probably much better than right click, or "M" for simply moving uninturupted.
But there is also "H", or "s" for hold position, or stop. both really effective in a certain position, especialy if u suddenly dont want a unit to move or attack a fleeing unit who is trying to draw you out.

VBadGirl

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.wnv-gaming.com
all i use is..

1 -->my units
2-->my 2 aow
3--> my hunteress hall
4--> my aowind
5--> my aol (not always but i get sometimes bears in also) or chims tower

F1--first hero
F2--second one

2+h= 2 hunts

and also talons and such

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
How could you settle for only using 12 units at a time? they way your hotkeys are set up you only have 12 units being selceted. ..

Kaldaris

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sundren.org
Pay attention, she hotkeyed 2 as Her ancient of war, and H is the huntress hotkey, so shes building two huntresses like this,
2 - Select AoW
H (x2) Build 2 Huntresses

VBadGirl

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.wnv-gaming.com
no he is right i have selected only 12 units at the time but!

because i work only with 3 type of units a double click on a particular unit selects all units the same...i usually upgrade and do better units usually 1o units means around 70 food for me which is decent enough and plus...i always share control with my at partners and they use my units equally with me.

I cannot control the whole area and if one of my units is where he wants to do blizzard for example he removes my unit and then..he blizzes.

maybe 10 archers means shit but 6 chims 2 talons and 2 faiers with 2 heros gets me around 63 units plus a few talons more gets me to 71...and just few talons follwing my main army is no big tragegy now...is it?

this is the late final push coz before i get the big bad dragons out i rely on mass hunts with talons and faiers but my orc partner gets in late games tauren with docs and some bloodlust which replaces my hunts.

well i can say it workes well coz we are nearly lvl 8 (17 XP away..weee) and ranked 439 with a 20-4 record. wish us luck to get lot top 50 :D

M3_feelin_0wn3d

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
mine are like
0= primary barrackses
9=secondary but loose ( for exmaple this is aow )
8=(other secondary in case. aow )
7=tier 3 buildings

1=heros unit * basicly ground units no cata like *
2=unit *basic air (like hippo with/without rider) *
3=unit *advanced air(like chim) or cata*

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
1. all Heros
2. Basic meele (ghouls early, abombs late)
3. Ranged and air (fiends, gargs, wyrms destroyers)
4. Casters and statues (around 8-10 necros, 8-10 banshee with 2-3 statues on mana)
5. Crypt or double crypt
6. Temple of the damned
7. slaughter house
8.black citadel

BTW, when i control large amounts of units, with a DK the best way to control and use ur units is to split them up in to different groups. (probably since im a solo player i rely on skill, and not someone else to move my units.)
Moving in meele infront of range so the range can focus while casters are constantly casting possess, or AMs or the like. not sending them in as a big swarming mass of units.

BTW hitting alt is another favorite of mine, especialy with a healer hero, i dont need to switch groups to see health, so i can also know what to move out, heal, or what to focus on!

M3_feelin_0wn3d

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
its just plain simple ... learn all yellow letters in the words... the yellow letters are the hotkeys and ctrl+ a number is a hotkey to that

Torubu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Waypoints aren't included in the "yellow letters" and are key scouting tools. I've watched some of the top Azeroth players use them, mainly Genji. Usefulness for waypoints are more in the Human and UD races since the worker unit is never out of sight as Orc and NE workers do.

Waypoint key: Shift
How to use: Give an initial command, such as "B + F" and proceed to press and hold "shift." While holding, press "B + F" and click where it will be built.
Result: After the first farm is finished, the worker unit will automatically move to building the second farm.

How to use is scouting: Using the minimap, start the scoutee on it's way to the first location, then proceed to hold "shift" while clicking on all other possible locations.