• No I do not like it.

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well anyway... I think we should have a jury type forum... like everybody on the forums nominates 9 people and the people that get the most votes for gets to be in the Jury Forum... and in this Jury Forum we the members decide if certain bans were to harsh or to soft... and we would also take ideas to the staff/admin and tell who it was from and if the Admins like it they talk about it, perfect it and release it... if they do not accept we let the person who thought up the idea know and he/she could rethink it... and no mods could be part of this whatsoever... cuz us members need some privacy too :)

Good Idea? Bad Idea? I'm gonna go get high?

TheNamelessYam

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
you have a point. not a lot of members get a say on the happenings of the forums, just the mods and admin.

YeoKeh

Battleforums OG
Reaction score
Yeha most people who are hated get flamed and get banned in toe future we can stop that by makeing a Jury forum i have to agree with you on this dark.

Also i would like to be a jury

daoffshoreman

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
i think its a great idea. we could have nine parties and elections for each of them. why not? the forums are big enough and it might even atract more people if they know they have some control in the forums. if the admins dont like the idea, then maybe we should just say its a peoples voice thing they have to listen to before they make a descision. youve got a really good idea, darkblade.

TheNamelessYam

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
8 say yay, 0 say nay, who do we have to convince to make this all happen?

TweaK

Premium Member
Reaction score
It should prove interesting... I say we give it a chance.
(I found a computer :O )

AxL

Buggin' Out
Reaction score
eh Im neutral Im not against it im not for it. Ill wana see what the admins say first...

Swooper

Respected Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
You'd be quite suprized at the amount of thought that goes into a banning. Its not as easy as pressing the ban button and its over with, we discuss any sort of bannings very seriously before enacting them. In a way, the mod force is a jury already, and like I said, any major decisions are discussed to a very high level. And remember that the moderators are chosen for their position because of good behavior and dedication to the forum, which are things that your 'jury' would be chosen for anyways. We do NOT make decisions based on how we feal about something or whats easyest for us... we carefully review it and do exactly what the situation calls for, even if its hard for us. Trust me, there have been MANY times where we have taken the hard way around things or avoided banning someone even if we all hated them simply because we thought it was 'unjust'. Also, there are things which are not supposed to be releaced to non-staff members such as IP adresses and other things that are often used as evidence in a certain case. Going a bit sidetrack, let me bring up the pamma incident. Though his ban appeared to be perminant (almost no one remembers that the 'Banned by Moderators' was occasionally used as a temp-ban a long time ago...) it was infact only temporary. It was made to look like a full ban for the sake of expressing the seriousness of the matter, which we would not be able to do if all the details were public. I dont think you realize how much power the members have here. Though the mods have authority, if all of the members are in disagreement with them than many times it is changed against the mods request (Pamma's ban was originally for ALOT longer...). Also, doing that would require us to make the evidence locker public (since its used in practically every case that results in a temp ban or more), and theres a lot of stuff there that we can't make public simply because it is direclty against the forum rules. And lets say we do make it, it would be very hard to inform the entire 'jury' and get them to make a decision in a limited time frame. I really don't want to have to hold off banning a serious offender and let him do more because it wasn't 'cleared' with the jury. And also, you have to realize just how little people are perminantly banned. So far there has only been two people becides out-war spammers or the like... one was sexybnethaxor and the other was a mass spammer.

If you can figure out a way for something like this to work, I really wouldn't mind as long as the forum elected mature posters. Like always, if you seriously believe a mod was wrong, you can feal free to go to them or someone above them about the incident, we listen. I promise you that if you give me sufficiant evidence to show me that I or a mod below me was wrong, I won't hesitate to fix the issue. I often change my mind on issues once I am fully aware of the facts or have a better understanding of what im dealing with. Likewise, I try not to make decisions until I feal I have a very good understanding of the situation. I don't expect everyone to trust my judjement right now, but I hope that over time you will find that Crooked, Amantis, and I are capable of figuring out what is best for the forum and what is the right thing to so.

So if you can persuade me that we need a jury, I won't hold off for any stupid power reasons (im doing my job here for the sake of the forums, not myself). Until then, I trust the people who were chosen to become moderators because of their dedication to the forum to make the right decisions.

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Swooper
You'd be quite suprized at the amount of thought that goes into a banning. Its not as easy as pressing the ban button and its over with, we discuss any sort of bannings very seriously before enacting them. In a way, the mod force is a jury already, and like I said, any major decisions are discussed to a very high level. And remember that the moderators are chosen for their position because of good behavior and dedication to the forum, which are things that your 'jury' would be chosen for anyways. We do NOT make decisions based on how we feal about something or whats easyest for us... we carefully review it and do exactly what the situation calls for, even if its hard for us. Trust me, there have been MANY times where we have taken the hard way around things or avoided banning someone even if we all hated them simply because we thought it was 'unjust'. Also, there are things which are not supposed to be releaced to non-staff members such as IP adresses and other things that are often used as evidence in a certain case. Going a bit sidetrack, let me bring up the pamma incident. Though his ban appeared to be perminant (almost no one remembers that the 'Banned by Moderators' was occasionally used as a temp-ban a long time ago...) it was infact only temporary. It was made to look like a full ban for the sake of expressing the seriousness of the matter, which we would not be able to do if all the details were public. I dont think you realize how much power the members have here. Though the mods have authority, if all of the members are in disagreement with them than many times it is changed against the mods request (Pamma's ban was originally for ALOT longer...). Also, doing that would require us to make the evidence locker public (since its used in practically every case that results in a temp ban or more), and theres a lot of stuff there that we can't make public simply because it is direclty against the forum rules. And lets say we do make it, it would be very hard to inform the entire 'jury' and get them to make a decision in a limited time frame. I really don't want to have to hold off banning a serious offender and let him do more because it wasn't 'cleared' with the jury. And also, you have to realize just how little people are perminantly banned. So far there has only been two people becides out-war spammers or the like... one was sexybnethaxor and the other was a mass spammer.

If you can figure out a way for something like this to work, I really wouldn't mind as long as the forum elected mature posters. Like always, if you seriously believe a mod was wrong, you can feal free to go to them or someone above them about the incident, we listen. I promise you that if you give me sufficiant evidence to show me that I or a mod below me was wrong, I won't hesitate to fix the issue. I often change my mind on issues once I am fully aware of the facts or have a better understanding of what im dealing with. Likewise, I try not to make decisions until I feal I have a very good understanding of the situation. I don't expect everyone to trust my judjement right now, but I hope that over time you will find that Crooked, Amantis, and I are capable of figuring out what is best for the forum and what is the right thing to so.

So if you can persuade me that we need a jury, I won't hold off for any stupid power reasons (im doing my job here for the sake of the forums, not myself). Until then, I trust the people who were chosen to become moderators because of their dedication to the forum to make the right decisions.
Yes i agree with you there... The mod force is a jury but the public have little say in what you do... for instance if Tweak came to us and said his problem (instead of spamming) we could of solved it in an orderly fashion but alas it did not happen that way. And if it was a serious offence we would deal with it quickly and get it back to you as soon as possible. If you are afraid of a limited time frame get active members...

Korrok

The Returned
Reaction score
Website
unspeakabledestiny.guildomatic.com
I agree with Swooper. The mod force are good enough for me. The mods are the members who would have been chosen for the "jury" were they not mods already. I see no point. If the suggestion is that the mods are some kind of "clique" or that they're all buddies with similar interests, I can for one say that people are wrong with all certainty and I can secondly say, what's to stop the jury, in your opinion, becoming the same way?

If you don't like a decision, complain yourself. If you're going to stick another barrier in frontof forum order, you might get pissed off at the decision twice over. Then where are you? Complaining again. I can't say that any other forum I use would even consider this. The mods say should be FINAL (as long as you're not banning me ;) ).

Lastly, if you're making up a jury which is voted for, what's to stop it becoming a popularity contest instead of a choice of the most capable for the job...?

IDefy

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
will these 9 or so ppl remain the same or will they change like every month or what not?

YeoKeh

Battleforums OG
Reaction score
Yes meaning we have a choice to ban members who do not obey the rules.

AxL

Buggin' Out
Reaction score
Originally posted by Guru
The only flaw in your plan is that it wont work
I agree..

Now I have made up my mind. I mean we are going to need to find 9 mature and active enough members who would pull this off. Not including mods/staffmembers/admins I cant think of anywere near 9 people that would qualify. Like swooper said we already have a court forum. That is called the staff forum.

DarkBlade if you can come up with 9 people (Not including mods/staffmembers/admins) that are capable of doing (meaning being active, mature, and going over everycase) this you may get me back to neutral but until then Its just a very very bad idea.

Final Warrior

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.harkkonnen.com
This is a great idea. Now I'll finally have something else to do, other than go to the RPR and wait for someone to post... I say yes. But you might need more people in the jury...

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
im not sure about this idea