****ed Mouse

dP

Member!
Reaction score
It was working fine before... but then suddenly I turned it on and my mouse keeps randomly works and stops working... I use a laptop and I have to connect my mouse in my little port thing. It randomly shows 'hardware unknown' or something on my screen...

Magikarp

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure, but do mouses need drivers to operate smoothly?

Check to see if any software came with the mouse.. although I'm pretty sure mouses use Plug N' Play technology, it never hurts to try.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
it isnt wireless is it? and im assuming its a laser one. maybe dirt or something is caught up inside. if its the ball, take the ball out and clean the insides.

Magikarp

Reaction score
The fact that it says "hardware unknown" suggests that his computer isn't compatible with the mouse.. I think..

I was going to ask if it was an infrared port, but I figured he would have said if it was..

dP

Member!
Reaction score
No... you just plug it in... just a mouse not a... webcam or something... and it aint with the ball thing or wireless its just one of those light ones.

Magikarp

Reaction score
There's a mouse that doesn't need a ball nor an infrared sensor? God I'm nub :( .

neophase

Member!
Reaction score
my mouse is messed also.... random whirlwinds all over the screen....

I can be playing minesweeper or any other program for that matter, and all of a sudden, in a blink of a second, the mouse launches to the top left corner in a millisecond.

Sicloan

Reaction score
Website
www.visualdesigncore.com
neophase said:
my mouse is messed also.... random whirlwinds all over the screen....

I can be playing minesweeper or any other program for that matter, and all of a sudden, in a blink of a second, the mouse launches to the top left corner in a millisecond.
This is commonly known as a mouse spasm. It occurs with optical mice. Either dirt or the surface the mouse is on is causing the light beam to be differed into a differnt area, the mouse pics up the change in the light and moves the pointer to that area.

Best solution: Buy a new mousepad, a good, clean one at that. Also, cleaning the underside and optical lense VERY carefully, either with AIR or a good cloth.

Entos

Member!
Reaction score
Website
entos.at.tt
erm sicloan.... that "spasm" thing happens to me a lot when i minimize counter strike or any openGL game for that matter.
so before u go spending money check if there is any program which could cause that.

blu

Member!
Reaction score
Yea same thing happens to me I know its my mousepad but cant afford a good one right now hehe, I'll be just about to shoot someone in Counterstrike and it goes all crazy .... and for the original post a mouse should be plug and play on a laptop especially, but if the mouse came with a special driver disk or CD try installing those.