Earning money from Diablo 3 - a short discussion

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
So we already know that Diablo 3 will have an auction house where you can sell your items for real cash and Blizzard will get a piece of the pie. Earning Blizzard extra revenue, hopefully preventing risky third parties, and maybe putting a dime in your pocket.

Due to the insane level of competition in games such as WoW, and assuming Diablo 3 will have such population and competition, it would be my assumption that no real money could be made in the game. There will be several HARD CORE gamers that while trying to earn the craziest of crazy gear, will throw aside their trash gear (epic to others) and they will be making the money, but will be inturn spending that money to buy better gear to level faster or become stronger for an instance that gives out the craziest of gear. In total the insane competition of the game itself will create too much bi-product gear to make profitability from grinding anything serious. It would just be those guys that play 10 hours/day being able to pull $30-$50/month, enough to pay the electric bill for those crazy gaming rigs.

The only issue I forsee is in the lower level items, I assume that Blizzard would prevent a decent item from going for $0.01 repeatedly so there must be some lower limit or quantity limit for being on the auction house. My guess is that a higher gear level will be required (not character level) and these will only be earned by players as products of lottery drops from NPCs or something... the drops would likely be linked to demand and supply on the auction house.

What are your thoughts about earning money with Diablo 3 and the resulting economies in the game?

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
If this doesn't get some commentary, I will shoot someone