Diablo-Source talks with Julian Love!

Dauroth

Harbinger of Doom
Reaction score
The guys from Diablo-Source sat down with Diablo III Lead Techical Artist Julian Love to discuss some things that Diablo III will feature, like PvP and the new Battle.net!

Diablo-Source said:
DS: I am not sure if you're going to be able to answer a question about battle.net but here goes. Jay mentioned at Blizzcon that you're not that far in the development cycle yet (with b.net). Are you guys thinking about doing the same type of formula with Battle.net as being used with Starcraft 2 with achievement point-based content and customizations with your Diablo characters like maybe tabards, insignias or anything like that?

JL: Overall, what we're doing with Battle.net right now is more or less we're involved with a lot of the discussions and right there along side with Starcraft 2, watching what they're doing and taking notes on what they're doing that we could translate to Diablo. Obviously letting that team know the kinds of things we're going to be interested in doing. I know for a fact that we're going to do some kind of achievement system. The specifics of that I can't really divulge right now. But really it's a matter of letting Starcraft 2 go first and pave the way for us to follow.

Diablo-Source said:
DS: With the changes in the way items drop in Diablo 3 some players have expressed concern about things like Magic find gear, especially since Magic find gear would be directly responsible for things like damage especially for the Wizard. Jay mentioned that if you geared up completely in Magic find that you wouldn't be doing if she wasn't totally geared in damage gear. Are you guys doing anything to graphically represent "Hey, that player is obviously decked out in magic gear, he's not going to really help me out in taking out this huge boss"?

JL: Acutally I think that the quote that you're referring to, Jay was actually talking about a deficiency with Diablo 2 where it was actually the Sorceress who had to make that kind of compromise. She had to lower a lot of her damage down in order to gear up on magic find, but part of the problem there was that other characters in the game couldn't make that kind of trade and be successful. So it sort of led to a case where everybody plays a Sorceress character to have a magic find character. What we're trying to do with magic find is eliminate those kind of strange decisions to make but also not have the game lead to "If I want a magic find character, I must have X class". That we don't want to do. While we haven't finalized the details of magic find just yet, we're aware of the effects on Diablo 2 and we're looking to either negate or minimize them.
Here's the link for the entire interview! Enjoy and discuss!