DAE here love piano music?

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Yundi Li playing Chopin's stuff is awesome. As expected from a Chopin competition champion. I particularly love his interpretation of Fantasie Impromptu.

La Valse d'Amelie has become a classic in my playlist, though I like the accordion version too.

Another favourite pianist of mine is Maksim (Official site link) from Croatia. He mixes modernity with piano. I got to see him perform once, and got an autograph about 2 months before then at a signing session. He is so god damn seksi (and tall!) :D

Vidilife - Flight of the Bumblebee
Esnips - Nostradamus

I love his The Piano Player album. Beautiful, fresh, modern yet classic. His videos are really artistic too (my kind of thing, haha).

More tracks to look into when searching in Youtube (it's blocked here in this bastard country and I'm too damn tired right now to fight with my proxies):
Exodus
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Croatian Rhapsody
Cubana
New World Concerto

- Amantis

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I haven't actually played Bumblebee myself (with my crap piano skills - despite having played for over 10 years and stopped for a couple already - could still do nocturnes and Beethoven's works though with practice), but I've heard someone play it on plain piano (with no background sounds or add ons). It's so fast I was wondering if the person's fingers were going to sprain themselves. o___O

- Amantis

Metal Gear Flash

LaLiLuLeLo
Reaction score
Oh I didn't know you played yourself. I cant really say I play piano but I can read music (kinda) and have taught myself a few songs. To Zanarkand, The Lonely Man, and a couple other ones I could find music for. I doubt you're crappy with 10 years under the belt.

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
While I can't compare myself to those awesome performers, compared to those who have also taken practical exams until grade 8 with the ABRSM syllabus (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, the British grading system), I only barely passed with the minimum marks. I'm not as passionate about playing the piano as I am about dancing and visual art, though I'm eternally grateful to at least know I can actually play classics if I tried hard enough, due to the fact that it was more imposed on me as a kid (my dad's side has got a number of excellent musical talents) and my teacher wasn't that great, despite the fact that she was a nice lady who did try her best with each student. I get told off all the time during the summer holidays because the teachers always say my techniques are wrong and there are so many corrections to make whenever I go abroad and signed up for extra lessons. LOL I never really understood much of the music theory, no matter how much it has been explained to me.

But I can still coach beginners until grade 5-ish! I think...it's been a while, like, a lifetime ago, and might still be able to cough up Fur Elise or Love Story or Who Will Buy? (Oliver! soundtrack), hahaha.

Don't ask me to play anything by Liszt though, his pieces probably require 5 extra hands for me!

Now it's been mind boggling, how did you teach yourself? Obviously, anything self-taught doesn't have the benefits of having a proper teacher, but being able to learn by yourself is still impressive.

- Amantis

Metal Gear Flash

LaLiLuLeLo
Reaction score
I kinda wish it was imposed upon me by my folks but it was my sister who they wanted to play piano. I've played alto sax since I was in elementary school so that's how I know how to read music, albeit piano sheets are a little more daunting. I have a nice keyboard, and spare time...that's probably the best reason I can give for teaching myself. Sure my hands aren't in the right positions, and I probably make things 10 times harder for myself like this, but I find more gratification learning something without any help. I can play modest songs by ear, and I attribute that to my sister (who has perfect pitch) teaching me a little when I was younger. I think that eventually I'll slow down a little on the art, and that'll give me more time to really learn piano.

Raya Wolfsun

Addicted to Mentats
Reaction score
Piano music FTW! I think most of my fave pieces have already been covered, though. Can't go wrong with Chopin and Beethoven.

I only barely passed with the minimum marks.
Doesn't matter, you're still married to the piano! :p Even if you have been cheating on him (it?) with ballroom dance and Squishy all these years.

...or Who Will Buy? (Oliver! soundtrack)
OMG I forgot all about that! Such a pretty song... so full of damned complications (for the singers, with the lighting, with the staging). You're the one who played it during the show, right? I'm trying to remember why M. Collard couldn't...

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Piano music FTW! I think most of my fave pieces have already been covered, though. Can't go wrong with Chopin and Beethoven.

Doesn't matter, you're still married to the piano! :p Even if you have been cheating on him (it?) with ballroom dance and Squishy all these years.

OMG I forgot all about that! Such a pretty song... so full of damned complications (for the singers, with the lighting, with the staging). You're the one who played it during the show, right? I'm trying to remember why M. Collard couldn't...
En fin, you've finally decided to come back and post!

I think I decided to step in to play Who Will Buy because Collard could only do chords in full, which didn't sound as pretty as my broken chords version - and my version fits in way better than his anyway.

And I shall continue to cheat on my hubby. We're uh...doing our own individual thing now!

- Amantis