CS: Tech Support FAQ

Ayumi

Member!
Reaction score
Entry Number One, 06-28-2002 11:55 AM
---------------
Q: "I reinstalled HL/CS because I got a new CD Key, but the game did not ask for my CD Key when I first started it, I need help!"

A: "When you uninstall something, most of the registry keys are left over until you reboot your computer. If you did not reboot your computer, the value for the prior CD Key was still there, and the program found no need to prompt for a new key. Uninstall; reboot; and reinstall."
---------------

Entry Number Two, 06-28-2002 11:55 AM
---------------
Q: "My FPS seems a little low for such a high end graphics card, can anyone help me out?"

A: "First things first, enter CS, and in the console, enter the following command lines.

fps_max "100"
fps_modem "100"

Now, you need to turn off an additional graphics card function. it is called Vertical Sync, V-Sync for short. Enter your display options ( located in the Control Panel ) and select the Settings tab. At the bottom, there should be a button that says Advanced. Click on this button. There should be a few tabs that have the [video card's] manufacturer's name on them. Look around in there until you find the V-Sync option, and tell the drivers to disable the function."
---------------

Entry Number Three, 06-28-2002 11:55 AM
---------------
Q: "I cannot connect to any Counter-Strike servers, and I do not get an error message."

A: "Before posting one of these questions, try some of the following.

Check The Official CS Site, CSNation, and CSCentral for news posts about your problem.

Reinstall CS. Make sure to reboot before reinstalling.

There are mirrors out there with a corrupt file, download the patch from another site and try installing.

Try to run another online mod.

If none of these sources give information, feel free to ask."

Entry Number Four, 08-11-2002 01:00 AM
---------------
Q: "I get an error message that states WARNING:CL_FlushEntityPack. What can I do to correct this issue?"

A: "CL_FlushEntityPack is an error that occurs when you encounter a large amount of packet loss and the server drops your client. The only solutions to this problem are to

A) Close all programs that connect to the internet; therefore eating bandwidth.
B) Get a faster internet connection."
---------------

Entry Number Five, 08-11-2002 01:00 AM
---------------
Q: "When connecting to a server, I notice an error message in the console just before I connect to the server that states ERROR:Couldn't load TrackerUI.dll, how can I fix this problem?"

A: "Well, this isn't really a problem, because the DLL isn't required by CS. Here is my explaination for why CS gives this error message.

'The beta version of CS 1.4 ( Steam ) included a stupid little in-game instant messenger called Tracker. If you used Steam and then upgraded onto it, you will have the correct DLL ( Dynamic Link Library; a Windows file extension ) for Tracker and it will not give you this error. The Tracker error occurs because they left Tracker in the coding due to its release in a future version of CS ( This is why F1 and F2 are reserved, for Tracker ).'

If you are bugged by the little message and want it to go away, try the following.

Open your HL ( or CS Retail ) directory, and navigate into the valve folder. Go to cl_dlls and rename the GameUI.dll to GameUI.bak"
---------------

Entry Number Six, 08-11-2002 01:00 AM
---------------
Q: "How do I get Console to show in the main menu?"

A: "Right-click on the shortcut that you use to enter CS. Highlight the textbox labeled Target, and enter the command line -console at the end of the current command parameter."
---------------

Entry Number Seven, 08-11-2002 01:00 AM
---------------
Q: "I already have the console in the main menu, but I cannot get it to come up in-game."

A: "Go to the main menu of Counter-Strike, and enter the console. Now, enter the following command lines.

bind ` "toggleconsole"
bind ~ "toggleconsole"

Note: If you wish to open the console with a different key, just replace the ` with the key of your choice, and type unbind ~."

---------------------

Entry Number Eight, 06-05-2003 5:23PM
---------------------
Q: "I've been banned, but I do not cheat. What has happened? What am I to do?"

A: Unless you really do cheat or you've been banned by an admin (in that case take it up with the serverstaff) you're being banned caused by a glitch in the servers anti cheat technology. If this matches your problem head over to Counter-Hack and they will help you.
Here's a little checklist you should see to have out of your system before doing so:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Courtesy of Counter-Hack
I have added a little checklist for all those who have been banned by the so called False Detects
Please review this post before making an unwise decision:
1. Scan your hard drive for cheats. Find out if your friend, brother, uncle, mother, father, sister, dog, cat, or fish were playing on your computer. If so there is a good chance that a cheat may have been installed.
2. VAC had an issue resulting in many false bans when it came to RAM. Faulty or malfunctioning RAM can lead to a false detect by VALVe Anti Cheat--there are several RAM checking programs on the net.
3. Check what Half Life / IRC Client you use. Some Clients like H-Lamp are known to cause detections.
4. If all else fails. I am sorry to inform that the best thing to do is to re-format your computer. Most Cheat Scanning devices are laced with Trojans--leading to more cheats and more problems. I DO NOT recommend ANY of them. Use them at your own will.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------

Entry Number Nine, Edited 06-05-2003 5:44PM
Q: I've installed custom models in CS and they are left handed how do i make them right handed again?

A: There are two files located in you cstrike/models folder
* v_xxx.mdl
* v_xxx_r.mdl
the first (v_xxx.mdl) is the left handed skin, while the latter (v_xxx_r.mdl) is the right handed version. until 1.4
Now with 1.5 you can only have one of these files:
* v_xxx.mdl
* If you are a right handed player. go to your models folder and find the v_xxx.mdl of the skin you replaced. Delete the v_xxx.mdl file. Find the v_xxx_r.mdl and remove the _r from the file name. That's how you can make your model right handed.
xxx = mp5 or m4a1 or ak47

- Submitted by - Ng | JoOP^
-----

You may also do it the easy/lazy way. Download a neat program called CSfix.zip[url] (6.0kb), extract it to your cstrike>models folder, execute it and press "Fix". It will now delete all your lefthanded models and rename the righthanded ones so they have the correct name.

- Caster

---------------------

Taken off another CS forum

Tokin

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
To play Counter-Strike over a router you need to have the neccessary ports open to allow Counter-Strike to connect to you.

Try, disable any software firewall & xp firewall..try..then upgrade router firmware...try...upgrading cs to 1.6(If your a diehard 1.5 player :) )

Last thing i would try to prove/rule out the router being an issue is put ure pc in the DMZ zone(in router config) allowing all traffic to hit ure pc (not really advisable,specially with recent viruses).

If ure still stuck then tell us more (router make-OS etc) an i'll have another look.

E

exner

i NEED SOME HELP.

okay. I am having troulbe getting cs to run on my laptop, and i cant figure out what im doin wrong. When i installed 1.5, i would get an error saying something about a trackerui.dll file every time i tried to enter a server. I installed steam and 1.6 and now my coputer just locks up after ive entered a server, picked a team and model. I ahve no clue what this could be. Ive atepted renaming the gameui.dll file like some1 suggested but that didnt work. If some1 could help me that would be awesome.

X

xjMaN88lx

running CS on a laptop isnt the smartest thing to do... what are the laptop specs?