CM Blue Cheese

Hale

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
So, I suppose everyone here is well aware of the infestation that plagues Battle net to this very day... Yes, I am actually talking about good ol' Cat 'n' Mouse. It pains me to see how many noobs have completely destroyed this once wondrous game-type. They've desecrated it down to nothing more than imbalanced horrors. The amount of effort put into these maps are literally at %0. People find it enjoyable to waste their time on worthless piles of a sick Twelve-Year-Old. Proof? Well, take a look at Cat and Mouse - Winter. Honestly, I believe most of us are past mineral walls. While it may be considered a classic, it's hardly worth your time. Others? Maybe something like Cat 'n' Mice Springie, or Cat N Mouse FLOOD. Honestly, how did they even come up with those? Then there is another group of rather disgusting maps. Things like "Fireworld" and "Dessert" have been so terribly edited by idiots that the original is completely erased. I'm not even sure what the originals of those were like.

Now, I'd hate to be an elititst, and I do indeed acknowledge the numerous high quality C&M maps out there. Seriously, I've played some enjoyable, well-balanced C&M Maps around the net. In fact, I've seen quite a few high-end maps of this gameplay posted here recently. However, let us face the fact that the majority of Cat 'n' Mice has degraded down to nothing. Right? Aight, so you're probably wondering why I'm even rambling on like this. Honestly, what else do I have to say? Well, unfortunately for those short on time right now, I actually have a lot more to say, however, luckily for those wanting a map, I have just that waiting for you.

What does a Cat 'n' Mice map need for it to be enjoyable? Aye? I'd suggest things like realism, balance, renewable strategies, and a different experience every time. Aight, so let's go into detail on some of those...

Realism - While Starcraft can only represent environments to a certain extent, the units can actually be applied to many ideals. Moving on, a Cat 'n' Mice map needs realism. Proper names and accurate representations would be my prime realism aspects I'd apply. Simple, righto?

Balance - Ahah, this is a generally mislabeled term. Most think that Cats and Mice alike should be perfectly equal. This is simply not true. Obviously, a Cat could pwn a Mouse any day. But then again, a mouse is small, rather fast, and quick to evade. So balance doesn't mean equal fire power, it means that for every "plus" a Cat has, a Mouse as a countering "Plus", and vice versa. This brings us to our next factor...

Renewable Strategies - As I said, the Cat and Mice are two completely different races, and they each have different tools. I believe that each race should have different strategies, and different ways to counter the enemies. Team work will apply to each one of these strategies differently.

A Different Experience, EVERY TIME - So, you just got finished playing a C&M Map; what now? Play the exact same thing, only to redo what you just did? No. In my opinion, the map should be something new each time. Again, as I already said, the player should be able to try different ways leading to success.

Finally! Are we ready to do some introducing? Oi?! Well then, let me present to you, none other than...

Cat 'n' Mice - Blue Cheese

Features - Aight, when I started this map my main goal was "Simplicity". This is great, easy to use, and (Ironically) simple. But, I wanted those seeking more than just simplicity to be able to really branch out with multiple strategies. This is where a lot of the design comes in.

Firstly, the entire terrain is meant to compliment both Mice and Cats at the same time. Each location has different options, yet in the same since, it has an implied function as well. Furthermore, not only does the base design push the limits of innovation, but the sum of the entire terrain is unique. As you'll notice, this map is only 64x64. Anything bigger, and I believe it'd be boring. Notice, however, how the terrain makes the map seem bigger than it is? In game, it provides for a completely different experience. Also note the variety in terrain style. Some hexagon, some isometric, it all compliments each other.

Secondly, the menu is simple, mainly because of the triggers incorporated into the building systems. While I had to compromise on the size of the menu, it actually doesn't need to be any bigger. Each unit has a different function, and even then, each pair of units has a different function. The possibilities of the combinations are close to endless.

How is this one "Better" - Well, since the term "Better" is a matter of opinion, I can't say it's definitely better. However, I can say that the amount of effort put into this map goes quite a far ways. Even then, I do address several of the bugs found in your average Cat 'n' Mice. Shall we go over these fixes?

To begin with, we have the save feature. When you die, you do not miraculously transport to the middle, and have a little flag there. Instead, you have to save where you died. Thus, the cats cannot camp everyone completely. Plus, you get 24 minerals as a bonus for saving. I considered boosting this up, but 24 minerals is actually quite a bit.

Moving on, we have the "Invincible Stronghold" problem to address. Why on earth is it even plausible to have this utterly ridiculous fortresses in which the cat cannot get into? Instead, the Mice have to constantly be aware of their dangers, ready to flee on the slightest whim. Instead of these super mining forts, the Mice have escape routes and hiding places. Escapes routes are generally small, and do not lead far. So it only gives the mice a slight advantage. Then we have the hiding holes. These holes are incredibly small, and do not allow the mice inside to see out. Thus, the mice must use intuition as far as leaving the hole safely.

What about those obnoxious civilians and blockades that riddle most maps? Hmm? Well, there are beginning civilians on this map, however they never block a mining place completely. Instead they only slow the progression of the Cats.

What other imbalances are there? Well, we also have the question of spawning Mice units. Instead of your SCVs and other units spawning directly in the middle, they will spawn next to your mouse. Furthermore, the Gateway produces your mining and military units, so again, the options are endless.

Next we have Cat options. Firstly, instead of getting a rather imbalanced flying units, the Cats get a free scan costing 200 energy. So, they have an easy option for exploring, but it's not horrifically lame. Moving on, Cats need more than just "Buy a unit, kill with it". So now, I added in a Defiler. What's so special about this Defiler? Well, not only can it plague, but it has the ability to infest Nexsuses when put next to one. When a cat owns a nexsus, and makes a probe, the Cat player receives a Zealot. These zealots are fast, but rather weak. I'd only use them for cornering or support. Still, very useful.

Conclusion - So, I've kinda rambled on a bunch about this map. I mean seriously, it's only Cat 'n' Mice. However, I really wanted to show you the amount of delicate craftsmanship that went into this production. It did take time and careful persistence to make this one. Really though, in summery it's just another Cat 'n' Mice in the terrifying field of others somewhat like it. Still, I'd actually recommend it... Please also take notice that this is Made by me and my Production Team. VioletDire led the way on this one, with the support of Fakepost, Zamzx, and myself. Please always give credit to atleast VioletDire, aight?

Enjoy...?

-Hale

Attachments

zamzx

Reaction score
Hey there. So I thought it would be useful if ya'll had a strategy or two to start out with. I was apart of the production team, and mainly helped out with balancing/testing the map, so keep these tips in mind when playing Blue Cheese...

Okay, let's talk Mice. Most of you will end up playing these, as almost no one likes playing cat (Well, we hope to change that stigma with this map)

Minerals - Basically everything in this map is fairly cheap. There are only a few big-ticket items, and those are definitively meant for the end-game. It's important to start mining as early as possible, but it's even more important to use your minerals wisely. You can't afford to just throw away 5 firebats (At 24 minerals, that's quite a lot of mining). Moreover, Mice only get a total of three gatherers (Including your mouse). While this may seem odd, the map is warped around this concept. As I said, most items should be generally cheap.

It's also worth mentioning the building order. The first zealot you make is a SCV, and after that you get firebats. Likewise, your first Dragoon you make is a Drone, and again, after that a Vulture. As For the High Templars, you get a medic. Medics are incredibly useful, but a tad expensive. At 200 energy, they can blind a cat. However, your Templar Archives must be living in order for the medics to have energy.

Big ticket items - These are Shield batteries, Tanks, and Forges. The tanks (as for all blocking units) are purely defensive units. Costing 240 ore, they are quite the investment. The tank is only useful when siege, wherein it turns to Player 12 and gains a large amount of armor and hp. Even though Tanks are forever immovable once sieged, they are incredibly strong. Tanks can also be repaired, but at a rather slow rate. In fact, by repairing you can only slow the rate of attack of your enemy.

Then there is the forge, and at 200 minerals, it better be worth it. Forge is a weak building, however, it serves a duel purpose; one being it can upgrade your shields to 20, and the other brings us to...

Insects - The best way to win with the Mice is to start an infestation of Insects. You start one by spending 400 minerals on a large block of rotten cheese (Shield battery). It will turn to Player 12 and spawn rather weak Zerglings two at a time until it is destroyed. You can upgrade them to the much more powerful Broodlings as long as you have a Forge made.

You shouldn't just run for the insects, however. Not only can the cats turn them against you (completely changing the course of the game) but if you lose that investment, you usually don't get a second chance. Insects are also what we call a "Team Strategy". You see, Insects won't generally live alone. In fact, if you don't have someone distracting the Cat, you probably won't get to even make Insects. Teamwork is a key to winning Mice!

Now for them Cats

You can play this C&M with only one player as a cat. If there's only one cat at the start, that player will get a second Cat. (This is extremely useful since people leave all the time.) The Cats get 2 gas every time they kill a Probe, and 1 for every 4 vulture/firebat
kills.

Units

- The first would be the Ultralisk, it's a bargain at 2 kills (4 gas). It's a cheap support unit, as there isn't a singular Mouse unit that can go toe to toe with it. Depending on how you play, it could be the only unit you need.

- Defilers, as Hale mentioned, are used to corrupt Nexsuses. They also can plague, which is devastating to any mouse defense as most mouse units rely on armor. They can burrow for safety, and can be used for surveillance.

- Kerrigans, A small unit that does decent damage, and is small enough to fit into mouse hidey-holes, is Infested Kerrigan. It can ensnare, slowing a mouse down to a crawl. Kerrigans, like Zealots, are not strong enough to take on an entire Mouse force, but Kerrigans can hunt down Mice and support your main Cat.

- Archons! The most expensive, but best all-around unit a cat can buy is the Archon. It has limited range, that can shoot over walls, and can fit into mouseholes. It has moderate HP and decent armor. Not only all of that, but Archons are immune to Irradiate and Mines.

- Abilities
There are three that you should be familiar with. Turning, Healing, and
Scanning.

- Turning makes the insects attack the mice, which means if they are unprepared it can be devastating.

- Healing allows you to cast Restoration on your cat if you move it to the bottom of the map. This cures blindness and Irradiation.

- Scanning is free, but takes a long time to recharge. The map is small enough that this just saves the cat a small amount of time.