Air units 'clumping' together

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
This is one thing i pray they fix. It's so annoying having to micro your air so they aren't all bunched so ensnares/storms don't rape them.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I would fall to my knees and give the entire SC2 team obscene amounts of oral sex if they'd implement a formation system similar to how Age of Empires 2 worked. There were like, 4 formations you could use:

1) Clumped together in a single unit
2) Spread out evenly apart from each other
3) In a "box" with a hollow center so that you could protect weaker units.
4) In two separate groups together that would surround a target when battle was engaged.

The marching/battle system is probably one of my favorite things about AoE2...if it was integrated into a similar fashion for SC2, I'd cum.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Warcraft III had their air stop clumping together in ROC, it was pretty sweet. Then they gave Air no collision size and now Air is ****ing gay.

Air should move in formations and not just overlap on eachother.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Well at least from what I saw in the vids I've seen, the AI works together a bit better. There was the Phoenix demonstration where they didn't clump, and it was nice to see the Zealot charge without any freaking "ant line."

Blizzard did say that they're trying to make the units a little smarter now and eliminate some of the pesky things they'd just do on their own.

I think different stances would be pretty sweet too. I dunno, maybe I'm just an Age of Empires fanboi, but it seems like they really had their system down. Aggressive, Defensive, and No Attack stances seem like a smart way to go...

Ninja_Blue

[ Official Forum Ninja ]
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I watched the gameplay video, and the zealot's charge ability was researched for them, so when they started to attack a line of buildings, there wasn't enough room or something, so a few starting bouncing against the other zealots at like 4 million mph.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Warcraft III had their air stop clumping together in ROC, it was pretty sweet. Then they gave Air no collision size and now Air is ****ing gay.

Air should move in formations and not just overlap on eachother.
if you do that though, you cant harass workers with 12 mutalisks anymore =(

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Formations are pretty sweet, but so long as they keep one of the formations a clump I'd be happy.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Why? So your units can be destroyed in one fell swoop by a high templar? Kay...
yea ur right, but still alot of ppl used the advantage of clumping units together

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
if you do that though, you cant harass workers with 12 mutalisks anymore =(
i assume with raid-like units in sc2 they will have soemthing to replace that

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This is one thing i pray they fix. It's so annoying having to micro your air so they aren't all bunched so ensnares/storms don't rape them.
I don't mind the air clumping that much. It just means you have to pay more attention to your units. Besides, most air units can dodge psi-storm and ensnare doesn't actually kill your units. Even if this is a new game, I'd rather keep this aspect in.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
What would be really cool, is if like on WC3 you could have formations that you could move them in.

Have one like a V, one a Box, a pyramid one, one where they fly in two lines.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You should be able to micro things out of clumps. Clumping has really, really, really good uses.*
Exactly. For example, clumping mutas increases your chances of being able to sneak in enemy bases undetected. FF on scvs,missile turrets, retreat. Rinse and repeat.
If one gets irradiated, click on the wire frame portrait(you should notice which one's taking the most the damage) and separate from the rest of the group.

There are others, but this is the best one I can think of.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. For example, clumping mutas increases your chances of being able to sneak in enemy bases undetected. FF on scvs,missile turrets, retreat. Rinse and repeat.
If one gets irradiated, click on the wire frame portrait(you should notice which one's taking the most the damage) and separate from the rest of the group.

There are others, but this is the best one I can think of.
yea, thats one of the best clumping thing in sc, mutas... man annoying as hell..

also, i clump carriers that way goliaths have hard time targetting the low hp carrier (and i find it easier to micro when they're clumped..)

and wing, although there are raid-like units, there still are mutalisks, and mutalisks without clumping.. is useless

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
and wing, although there are raid-like units, there still are mutalisks, and mutalisks without clumping.. is useless
ah shit i forgot about the trailer. (lack of zerg updates made me forgot)
im pretty sure they can make some new way to use them. although will people like the change?

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
ah shit i forgot about the trailer. (lack of zerg updates made me forgot)
im pretty sure they can make some new way to use them. although will people like the change?
I guess, we'll have to wait though until everything's revealed... but I'm sure we'll be able to clump.. actually I think the BC's in one of the trailers were actually clumped onto each other... o_O

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
What would be really cool, is if like on WC3 you could have formations that you could move them in.

Have one like a V, one a Box, a pyramid one, one where they fly in two lines.
Yeah, kinda like how I mentioned the troop formations from AoE2.