Aiming for the head

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
I'm curious; how many of you actually aim for the head?

In CS 1.6, I aim at the head out of habit. I find that you get a lot more headshots by aiming at the chest, though. Even with accurate guns like the scout. From my experience, in CS 1.6, hitting someone in the head will rarely register (unless you are ducking/below your opponent), while chest shots frequently register as headshots.

In CS Source, however, I find myself aiming at the head more often. While things aren't all that much different from 1.6, the general head area can usually get you a headshot. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't be pleasantly rewarded with a random headshot after shooting three feet behind an opponent.

DDRaddict

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
i only recently started aiming for the head. when i couldn't play cs:s very well because of a lag problem i decided i need to start aiming for the head so that i can kill people faster. i played 1.6 scoutzknivez for about a week and i was always aiming for the head (unlike before). even though i was going with a 1:1 on scoutzknivez it was the concept of always aiming for the head that i was trying grind into my conscience. i jumped back into my cs:s community server i belong to and i sudden was doing alot better.

course the hit boxes help alot too ;)

TweaK

Premium Member
Reaction score
In close range, my gun is pointed straight at the headline, waiting for somebody to come around. Longrange tends to be more body, but I try for the head when it's one of those stupid battles that never end.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
I do it all the time, long range or close range, I always aim for head,

it works in CS 1.6, but it doesnt work that well in Source :(

shimshimheyxD

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i hate close range.. Bots...

I tried me vs 17 kniving bots

I used para and i shoot their head and they juss get a spark and 50 hp..

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I've aimed for the head since the first CAL season of mine.(About a year after I started playing) I've changed in how I do it now though. When I'm using a more spraying rifle, like the m4a1, I do what is called the "Heaton spray", which is basicly a way to counter the recoil of the m4a1 and make a whole sprayed clip stay in a nice small area. Anyway, I combine the "Heaton spray" with a sort of wierd way of aiming... I tug down on the crosshair after the first shot(Crosshair on head pulled down) and immediatly go into the spray, having the cursor around the upper chest.

Though remember that headshots are not everything. Usually it takes 2-4 shots in the chest with a colt to take down a guy. So... I have no point really, other than you should just try to get the first shot to be a headshot(without taking time!) and then go into a full on spray.

Also if you guys don't know, you can spray any weapon and change from enemy to enemy while spraying and barely miss them if you "flick" your wrist so that the cursor is on them.

Brandon

Member!
Reaction score
in cs source i see people shooting at feet and getting head shots :(

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Netxenur said:
in cs source i see people shooting at feet and getting head shots :(
Well I've seen this as well. I think that its just mainly netcode issues, though I haven't yet went to a LAN with Counter-Strike: Source as a game, so I really can't tell what is making this happen.

TheHybrid

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.blizzcenter.com
I aim at the head most of the time. Even with a shotty. It's a habit now.

OMGLOLWTFPWN

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I either aim at head and pull down slightly with 2 shots (shorter or really long range), or at the chest and 3 burst (mid range)

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hard to aim for the head when the target's moving loser!

Brandon

Member!
Reaction score
Yeah i started aiming for the head, and right when i shoot i pull mouse down a bit to diminish the reciol.

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I usually try to aim for the mid-chin area. Although, sadly.. I usually just fire off a lot of random shots until someone kills me :( I panic way too much.

AndrewxChau

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yes, i usally aim for the head if im going 1 burst rounds. but sometimes it doesnt register, for ak when i spray i tend to spray the chest cause the recoil and it will register for hs somtimes.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
RisenDeMoN said:
Well I've seen this as well. I think that its just mainly netcode issues, though I haven't yet went to a LAN with Counter-Strike: Source as a game, so I really can't tell what is making this happen.
I've played a couple little CS LAN games. It definitely seems more accurate, and you see much fewer freak headshots.

blu

Member!
Reaction score
I've been playing Counterstrike for about 3 years now alwayz have and alwayz will aim for the head :-D.

Brandon

Member!
Reaction score
blu said:
I've been playing Counterstrike for about 3 years now alwayz have and alwayz will aim for the head :-D.
What cal are you? years with no cal- experiance is weak.. :rolleyes

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I think he said CAL-M in a previous thread. Oh, and CAL-O doesn't count as experience :( . Its mostly filled with cheaters, and crapy teams.