A philosophical question

Gedrin

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You are an american (or British, Canadian, or whatever else you want) archeological researcher in a south american country that is undergoing a civil war. You break away from the trail and in the jungle you hear a commotion. Walking into a clearing you see approximately 30 villagers lined up against an old wall which is all that remains of a previous structure.

You see standing across from these villagers a group of men from the military in uniform. Some of the men see you and take you over to the commander. He explains to you that these people are villagers who were caught aiding wounded rebels, and that they are to be executed.

The commander tells you that he likes you because your government is funding his countries military, and helping them fight off the rebels. He exlains to you that although he likes your contrymen he thinks that you are all soft. So he provides you with the opportunity to let all but one of the villagers go, but you have to shoot that one villager yourself. You are given a gun with all the bullets except for one removed, what do you do?

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Gedrin said:
You are an american (or British, Canadian, or whatever else you want) archeological researcher in a south american country that is undergoing a civil war. You break away from the trail and in the jungle you hear a commotion. Walking into a clearing you see approximately 30 villagers lined up against an old wall which is all that remains of a previous structure.

You see standing across from these villagers a group of men from the military in uniform. Some of the men see you and take you over to the commander. He explains to you that these people are villagers who were caught aiding wounded rebels, and that they are to be executed.

The commander tells you that he likes you because your government is funding his countries military, and helping them fight off the rebels. He exlains to you that although he likes your contrymen he thinks that you are all soft. So he provides you with the opportunity to let all but one of the villagers go, but you have to shoot that one villager yourself. You are given a gun with all the bullets except for one removed, what do you do?
[glow=red]I shoot one of the prisoners, the one who is most sick and likely to die soon.[/glow]

Hanzzo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i'd shoot that commander! oh wait then i'd die too!
But yeah at least I saved a villager with my life :p

shutupandgoaway

Member!
Reaction score
What I would attempt to do would be to fire and let the last prisoner escape, but if that was not possible, I think that I would kill the prisoner. It is better to kill one to save 29 than to have all killed. Of course, the best course is to save 30 and lose one, but if that is not possible, 29 is the next best thing.

Cobalt Wolf

New & improved!
Reaction score
I would hold the commander hostage so that the villagers can escape.
In a country where they have rebels, it's usually the rebels that are the good guys.
If the commander was one of the good guys, he wouldn't be telling you to kill someone.

Gedrin

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Aside from that you have no was of knowing whether or not he'll be good on his word. An agressive act like this would place you in a very dangerous situation. Besides what would you do if he had his men shoot the prisoners anyway after you grabbed him?

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
shoot the villager. In the long run, he/she will probably die in another 10 20 years of some disease or even the next day they might just catch something that kills them immediatly(not to mention the fact they might just get caught again)

i would even make a game of it.

simon says jump

jump (if only 1 jumps, shoot him/her. if like 5, remove the rest of the villagers from the group except for the 5 and continue)

simon says stand on one foot

simon says sit

simon says stand

sit(same as last time, if the number is like 2, continue)

simon says turn around 3 times.

jump(if the last 1 drops, kill the person that screwed up)

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
"The loss of one life is tragic, the loss of many lives is but a statistic"
-(?)

Here's an interesting quote that applies to the topic. I don't know who said it, but it has meaning anyway. So I say shoot the one who looks more likely to die sooner, if you can tell the difference.