A new amendment?

Lwek

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.Battleforums.com
Did anyone hear about the new amendment? Well first it has to go through the states, but it's gotten through the senate. It's suppose to ban the burning of the US flags. Freedom of speech is at risk, again.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
but the flag codes on disposing crappy ones...

Hitsua

+
Reaction score
And with the banning of the burning of the U.S flags, goes a lot of memorial services.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
They've tryed it before, and it didn't work.

I personally feel this is a direct shot at freedom of speech. It serves no practical purpose in law, flag burning is a way of showing dissent, it doesn't hurt anyone. I guess next they are going to ban protesting....

Zerglite

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Forged said:
They've tryed it before, and it didn't work.

I personally feel this is a direct shot at freedom of speech. It serves no practical purpose in law, flag burning is a way of showing dissent, it doesn't hurt anyone. I guess next they are going to ban protesting....
yea.... im thinking even if the senate and house pass it, the judicial branch will say its unconstitutional...

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't conservative mean that they -DON'T- wanna change?

Algazaleen!

Member!
Reaction score
Most conservatives are completely obsessed with keeping the bill of rights, not destroying it, but the justices might be different.

Anyway, if they ban flag burning than they have to ban book burning too, so it will be equal.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
I think sometimes people burn flags in protest, and protest is a big part of freedom of speech. I don't know the yankee thing so well.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
Well.... still theres no point... let people be disrespectful if they wish. No law should be needed.

The largest flag in the world, was a Saint georges flag (England) in Portugal, not a single person did much as put a foot on it. They had to fold one corner for a market place, but usually it is one of the greatest disrepect to a country, burning their national symbol.

I've seen American flags being burnt at protests, it might of been one of those anti war ones... Their could be a lot of things that could represent really and personally I have nothing against it. Other countries burnt American flags in protest all the time when Bush invade Iraq ect. It's pretty obvious why, so why can't people in America do the same? It's just when people burn flags over a football match or something, that is really pathetic, unless people think there is a major problem in their country there is no need for the sort of disrepect but disallowing that is not only pointless but infringing people's rights.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
Doesn't conservative mean that they -DON'T- wanna change?
That would be the definition, however the conservatives that serve us are called 'neo-conservatives' and all they care about is their ****ed up sense of morality and money...

Call me ignorant if you will, but what does the banishment of flag-burning have to do with freedom of speech?
It has more to do with Freedom of expression, which is also covered in the first amendment. There is no practical reason to ban flag burning. The only reason to ban it would be because our goverment sees it as a sign of dissent, and they don't like dissent.

Lwek

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.Battleforums.com
Isn't the Senate mostly made of Democrats? I don't know, but what I do know is that the Senate voted in favor of it and I think it won by 9 votes.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if it passed. With a little imagination I'm sure I could find much more creative things to burn.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
Lwek said:
Isn't the Senate mostly made of Democrats? I don't know, but what I do know is that the Senate voted in favor of it and I think it won by 9 votes.
No, the majority is now republican. 42 to 58 I belive.

Algazaleen!

Member!
Reaction score
If it gets passed people are going to burn flags outside the capitol building in protest.

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
why would anyone burn a flag?? so pointless isnt it?? and besides you are the US why would the US burn US flag?? doesnt make sense

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
AZN_FLEA said:
why would anyone burn a flag?? so pointless isnt it?? and besides you are the US why would the US burn US flag?? doesnt make sense
Just because you're born in the US doesn't mean you have to love the country.