Vbulletin Spam settings

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
It absolutely pisses me off the vbulletin doesn't have a setting to disable links within posts for usergroups. I want to disable links in posts for accounts with under 10 posts but vbulletin doesn't give a crap. They have constant requests for this and it is of the most basic level of spam protection, but they just don't care. They just always say to download a mod from vbulletin.org (an unaffiliated site). They could literally just take that code and integrate it into their main software, but they're too lazy.

VERY ANGRY

We have had so much spam on the site lately that I've spent 1-2 hours/ day deleting it, and it consistently drains my efforts. Seems that I spend 4 hours/day trying to find mods for vbulletin for basic features it should do anyways. As the leading PAID forum software on the internet, you would think they would get their stuff in line and meet customer needs.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
and as far as the email system goes, I'm rather sure they did not implement it so that they could get commissions for the PAID system that they packaged with the software... scumbags

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just changed our captcha settings in hopes of reducing this spam significantly. It does seem that there was a huge onslaught right after changing it to reCaptcha. So we will likely see a huge drop in registrations in the next few days.. this is because a ton of them were just bots (sadly)

ST

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an account, Austin does too I think, and I think Roach uses mine lol.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I have an account. I love vbulletin.org and the community is great. I just think its ridiculous that vbulletin.com doesn't put the basic features in the software to begin with. The mods should be integrated after they are shown to be successful and no longer exists as "mods"

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good news is, the change to the captcha for registration has dropped spam accounts 80%!!!! But the spam accounts that are actually posting are getting through 50%. I don't really know why we were getting 80 registrations/day for accounts that don't even drop links... prolly have to go through them and see if they were just putting links in the profiles.. I imagine that is what it was.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
What I do is create a usergroup for new members, which automatically upgrade to normal membership status after 10 posts. Within the new members group, they can't send private messages or anything like that.

Another good deterrence is by setting up a registration question. For example, a good one for this site would be who publishes Blizzard's games (Starts with an A) (Activision). People coming here to spam their link for Indonesian foot powder are much less likely to know the answer to that than a real gamer wanting to talk games. And trust me, any gamer, Blizz fanboy or no, should know the answer to that question.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
What I do is create a usergroup for new members, which automatically upgrade to normal membership status after 10 posts. Within the new members group, they can't send private messages or anything like that.

Another good deterrence is by setting up a registration question. For example, a good one for this site would be who publishes Blizzard's games (Starts with an A) (Activision). People coming here to spam their link for Indonesian foot powder are much less likely to know the answer to that than a real gamer wanting to talk games. And trust me, any gamer, Blizz fanboy or no, should know the answer to that question.
I have noticed a high percentage of spam posts advertising Indonesian foot powder.

But seriously, thanks for reminding me to restrict PMs. I really wish I could restrict the links in posts as well. Exploring some good mods to allow me to. Should have one installed in a week.

Know any good mods or methods for increasing sign-ups from visitors?

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Theres a mod available that requires registration after x amount of page views. Id send you a link but I'm on my cell.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Theres a mod available that requires registration after x amount of page views. Id send you a link but I'm on my cell.
Cool, shoot me it when you get a chance