Terrans on Fortified island

Bangladesh

Reaction score
Okay on island map, I am protoss, the other guy is terran. The guy builds an unbreakable fortress of turrets, bunkers and tanks around himself. He is trapped. I send everything. Carriers, scouts, shuttles filled with units, and nothing passes through or demolishes them.

In this game I can't use dt, corsairs or Dark archons and he can't use valks or medics, since it is starcraft original.

So how do you get inside a terran barricade on island if your protoss.

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Depends. Is it a money map? Or a regular Blizzard type map?

If its a money map, just mass him via up'd scouts. They work well ::)

If its a Blizzard type map (not an endless supply of income) then it would be a lot more tricky. If there are just 2 islands, you and him, then most likely he used a lot of resources to make his fortitude. You keep try hit and run tactics.
Hit him, move back. Don't lose your units, but keep trying to take out his missle turrets. Eventually (which could be a long time) run out of minerals.

Or you could hit him hard with shuttles full of reavers by his CC and take his workers out. Then try the hit and run tactics.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
DT his turrets with shuttles-
you might lose a lot of units, but with his own seiged tanks, he's libel to blow up half his base to kill you.

Zerglite

Reaction score
bum rush him with about 12 arbs, then recall as soon as you can inside his base, then run to his turrets with the ground units, hopefully you can kill them or the tanks can, then send in the carriers

boom u win!

PauseBreak

Reaction score
Pains Requiem said:
DT his turrets with shuttles-
you might lose a lot of units, but with his own seiged tanks, he's libel to blow up half his base to kill you.
That's not a bad idea, but he's on the original SC and not BW. There are no DTs :p

But yes, DTs would work very well. And I love seige tanks for that very reason you said, they would blow half their base up. lol

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If terran is holed up in base with turrets like a fag :rolleyes , then take the map(about 2 or 3 resource nodes) while denying terran expansion until you can mass a carrier/corsair(disruption web)/arbiter fleet.(finger of god) If you're feeling frisky, you can even throw in some shuttled templar once you're in.

EDIT: forget the corsair thing.(didn't see the original sc comment)
Carriers/arbiters with shuttled(more than one shuttle, of course) whatever.(any type of ground unit will do)
Don't forget observers(about 5-7) behind your carrs.

Bangladesh

Reaction score
I have already tried every strategy suggested, except the twelve arbiter bum rush. Carriers were destroyed. Shuttles couldn't drop, since there is little space left to land and usually my shuttles get killed before they. Just took his SCV's repaired everything while we fought. You see nothing I sent could penetrate the barrier, heck in the end I became desperate and tried hallucination + Scouts. Even though I had more resources and units, I lost because I had no more time to play, so I had to quit. He just sat their and waited me out.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I really cant think of anything.

I like making/playing maps like that- Ill make em up myself, and have a story in my head about it-

Like with the posted map, i would think of it as a group of protoss doing a prison break or something, since the terran is on a remote island surrounded with defense.

How would i try to do this...on original..
I would use Stasis Feild on his workers to start of with, meaning arbiters will be a big part of this deal- Without healing and any other ground forces out of the way, Recall+Carriers might be a bit more usefull as most of the interceptors attacks will be moe focused on buildings instead of units. Also have a group or Zeals ready at base, and recall them when a small section of buildings are destroyed.

NOW heres the fun part- take the zeals and put them in a heavy-packed area with enemy units/buildings, and HOLD POSITION and click on Stasis Feild of an arbiter- wait for the KACHUNK of a seige tank fireing, then quickly select the area near your Zeals- they will be left unharmed and they will instead damage their own buildings or other units.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
How are your carriers being destroyed. By wraiths? Upgrade sight range for obs and right-click each one to a carrier. If he scans, there's a good chance he'll miss the observers.(i.e. he might see some and kill those and miss the others.
Can't be by goliaths especially on island and even more so on vanilla.(no charon boosters) Goliaths are a joke so I'm positive that's not the problem unless you have poor micro.
Just keep your carriers moving and you should be fine.

Of course, this will be easier if you provide a replay so we can see exactly how you're losing.

Bangladesh

Reaction score
No, I didn't save the replay. It was so embarrassing, I just didn't want to save the replay. We fought until all minerals on the map were gone and neither of us had the resources to make large armies. Or should I rather say, I fought and he just sat back and repaired. Imagine an island, first line is turrets, behind that are bunkers packed with marines, behind that are tanks, with even more turrets. It is not really the turrets, its those bunches of SCV and bunkers, that get my goat. There were many many islands and although I smashed most of his bases, his main base was like an impenetrable fortress. The entire game he just built up on his main base. I owned the entire map, but one stinkin island, it was the most humiliating defeat in starcraft history. He defeated me, by waiting.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Maybe there's a problem with your build order.
8-pylon
9-assim
11 or 12 gate
Once the gate is done get a cyber
Then robo, range for goons(or you can skip this for later), second gate
Then an obseratory.

Scout the enemy with obs and react accordingly.
If he's building a bunch of turrets, don't worry, be happy. :grunt

Take 1 or 2 expansions. Now that you're ahead of the terran, you should be able take it from here. Keep obs around his base and around the map AT ALL TIMES so you can keep track what he's doing and maintain map control.

In other words, if tries to expand, then shut him down. HARD ;)

If you can't shut him down, then just expand yourself.(as long as you stay ahead)

Sooner or later, you gonna have to finish him off, in which case do what said before.

Hallucination can be good,too.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Easy to kill, but to kill it, you can only try once or twice till your money goes down the drain. Here's how to do it...

Invest in Hallucination and at least about 8-10 HT's, 4 Arbiters, 4-6 Carriers, 4-6 Reavers and the rest ALL Zealots (Forget Dragoons, we want Tank killers).

Now, the plan is easy, wait for 250/250 mana on all the HT's, Hallucinate the Arbiters AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and also Hallucinate some Carriers as well (Carriers' interceptors are the bait for bunker and missile fire). Now, make sure all your ground troops are in a nice bunch (So recall will get ALL of them).
Now march all your hallucinated units into the turrets/bunkers and make them take all the fire (You should have about 16-24 Hallucinated units which will last), as soon as you tell the hallucinated units to move, tell the real ones to move as well...
Once you have done that and you are on the move, hopefully the Hallu's are taking all the fire and your Arbiters can Recall with relative ease and your army is ready to poon his base.

Tips
  • Hotkey every unit, and i mean EVERY unit. Including the Hallucinations.
  • Recall in four different spots so you aren't too cluttered and the Tank fire wont totally decimate your army.
  • Kill probes for food, you have plenty of time to gain resources with a turtled Terran.
  • Get Brood War. Corsairs rape any defense. Disruption Web > you.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If the terran is turtling, then you shouldn't have a problem beating him. Don't mindlessly waste your units into his defenses. Get map control, 200/200 units with ups and own him. And yeah, get BW.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just take over the island first. You should be able to take it early in the game if you build faster than he does. Once you control that, its GG, no?

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
You should be able to win with carriers and scouts, if you can maybe figure out the turret range. Maybe take a probe and see how far he can get before getting hit. then take a squad of carriers and stay at that spot to destroy the turrets. If he tries to attack with air, bring your scouts into place but do not advance. Hallucinated your scouts (who should be infront of the carriers) and then have 1-2 carriers concentrate on attacking air, 1-2 attack scv units as they repair, rest hit those turrets. Have a shuttle come in after killing enough turrets to land. The first 2 groups of zealots should clear a path around the landing zone. Hallucinated, then have the real zeals start hitting the bunkers. If they run into danger do not advance. They should have enough support from the scouts if they stay close to the island end. KILL ANY AND ALL SCV UNITS WITHIN RANGE! If you do this consistently, he will run out of scvs and will not be able to train them fast enough. Then you really attack with everthing to open up the area. Another good thing is to bring a builder to start making cannons at the landing zone to fortify it. If you got the resourses make a few building to block his attacks while you regroup and increase the army size. Where are his minerals at on the island? This should be your point of attack. Focus on this area, but at the same time have a diversion at the opposite end of the island.

AZN_FLEA

Reaction score
how the hell did he beat you?? you should have made carriers scouts and dropships with reavers. commence the attack all at once. how many turrets did he have??

Bangladesh

Reaction score
He had about 3 turrets for every bunker that he had and I repeat the scvs are the worst part. Secondly, I couldn't drop because there was no where else left on the island left on the island for me to drop. As for minerals, the game went, even after the minerals were gone.

B)ushid(o

Reaction score
What I'd do is take every other island, surround his base with scouts, turn off my monitor, and take a nap. Forget building and hallucinating, carrier this and shuttle that, win the arsehole's way.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
How is it the "arseholes" way if T is holed up in his base with turrets and bunkers? :angry Expanding, maxing out, and carrs is the only solution to this.