• No the map editor confuses me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ExtremeGamers

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok , im not the best map maker, but i know more than most. I can do do the basic things (mass-shops-spawners) and other easy stuff. But i need to know how to create units at the unit location. Such as in WWI maps the ghosts turn to special units at the ghosts. I dont know how to make a unit a locations AHHH !!! Also i need someone to explain to me how switches work.!!!

I have another problem, one of my maps keeps crashing.... Only for the Game Creater though, i have special text(shouldnt b a problem) and no independent cc's. Didndt disable anybuildtints... I DONT KNOW WUTS RONG!!!!

Any experts who can help plz do ty!

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
I personally don't know how switches work either, however I can help you with the unit creation triggers.

If you want it so when you build a Ghost, it turns into a hero ghost, try the trigger...

Current player creates at least 1 Ghost at Anywhere

Remove exactly 1 Ghost at Anywhere
Create 1 Hero Ghost at Location 0
Preserve Trigger

I don't know if this is the best method, however it would allow you to have players make hero units this way. You can restrict this trigger to only certain players as well, making different countries on WWI maps have more diverse armies.

I'm going to move this to the Use Map Settings forum, with a redirect in the StarCraft and BroodWar section so this thread will get the most responses.

CerebralChain

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Switches are hard to explain... If i call them periods, then first you set 1 period... and when that period is over, another period takes over. F.ex: In golem, the first period last until you get 500 kills, then you enter another period, and another after 1000 kills.

Confusing? Well... I didn't have anyone to explain what switches were, so i started making bound maps. Aaaaand... after a while i got the hang of it. So you just keep trying.

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I think I have a better way of looking at the switches.....

Any trigger is a Condition = Action.

Switches are no different, just a little more specialized.
Example.....

This is the Condition part,,, this is what will activate Switch 1.

Condition:
Force 1 brings at least 1 any unit to locaion 1
Action:
Set Switch 1

This in itself is still just a Condition, since all we have done is to Set Switch 1, or in other words, Turn Switch one ON.

Here are 2 Actions for this.
Condition:
Switch 1 is set ( in a sence it is saying this switch is ready)
Player 1 brings at least 1 any unit to location 1
Action:
Create 1 marine for player 1 at location 2
Clear switch 1

Condition:
Switch 1 is set
Player 2 brings at least 1 any unit to location 1
Action:
Create 1 marine for player 2 at location 2
Clear switch 1

A person would say that an easier way to do all this would be to do it this way...
Condition:
Player 1 brings 1 any unit to location 1
Action:
Create 1 marine for player 1 at location 2

and the same trigger for player 2

If all your after is to make 1 marine,for each player at location 1, and nothing more, this is true. But the goal for the above triggers were to make 1 marine for the first player to get to location 1, and none for any other players. In a sence no rewards for coming in last. This was done by adding the "Clear Switch 1", it turns OFF any future use of Switch 1.

There is one exception to the rule as far as a Cleared switch is concerned, and that is the use of the Toggle switch trigger.

When you set a switch to Toggle, it changes it's state to the oposite of what it is at that time.
If it is Set, (ready for action) it will be Cleared (turned OFF).
If it has been Cleared (turned OFF) it will be re-Set (ready for action again).

If switches are confusing, Toggleing a switch probably just went over your head, don't feel alone. It took me about 4 years to grasp the idea just from a philosophical point of view. So far, I have only used Toggle in 2 or 3 maps.

In the near future, I will post an example of ways that switches can be used, unless the moderaters here have any arguments against this.

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Here are some examples of how to set up Switches.

Disect the map to learn, I labeled the triggers appropriately.

And before it starts, this is a teaching map, nothing more, so please don't comment on how it's a boring game or whatever, it's not meant to be exciting.

ExtremeGamers

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Crooked hey its me the author of da forum, how did u make the exploadding stuff in beg of map.. can ud o tat on sc-xtra?

So lemy get this straight set means u set its conditions clear means delte and toggle means it changes the set to the opposite????

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
That map was made with the standard StarEdit, nothing fancy.

The explosions are by creating a unit that explodes when you kill it. Make the creation trigger, and follow it imediately with a kill unit trigger. I used Archons, and Dark Archons. The wait trigger's duration in between can be modified for affect.

I guess you could substitute a unit that bleads for a uniqe affect,,,,, hmmmm sounds intriguing.

As far as your last question ,,,, yes, but it took me about a month to actually grasp what that meant as far as how to use it.

Keep in mind....

Set Switch "?" in the Coditions area is the equivalence of the trigger is ready for action, but waiting for a nudge.

Set Switch "?" in the Action area is the nudge that actually puts things in motion.

I've spoken to the great "Ghost Yoon", and even he hasn't gotten the hang of "Toggle". So just imagine what this little bit of insight to this group may create in future maps.

If I can help more just ask, it seems to be something I like to do, and this seems to be the forum I chose to do it in.

CerebralChain

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
So... what you're saying is that when you set the switch for toggle, it toggles between "set" and "clear"? It's that simple?

I just can't figure what purpose toggling switches has in maps... Is the toggling really neccesary? I've never used it, but i have toggled the state of doodads, just to make it look... you know...

Neet map, btw...

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
For the most part yes,,,,, but so far as helping someone get a clear understanding of why and what for, that seems to be something that comes to the map maker like a revalation if you will.

I saw on a Turret Defence map where the user placed it for the sound file when the comp crossed a location in the beginning of the rounds, instead of a Bring, or Command at location Condition. But, that map I lost with a harddrive crash.

I've mostly used it on RPG type scenarios, for things that I want to happen in a series, but in a specific order, and be resetable.

A more detailed example....

A valley, full of traps, each trap is activated once by it's own location, and Set Switch Condition as you travel down the valley. When you reach the end of the valley, you get your reward, and go home. The reward being a specific hero. Unless you have new traps Set with the hero being the trigger, everything is quiet on the way home. But as you leave the valley there is a location, that is activated by the heros crossing that Toggles the traps back to life. In case you need a new hero due to death, or something. You might as well prove yourself everytime you want something.

I'm sure that many other things can be done also, so far, this is what I've had the best luck with.

I hope this has cleared some fog rather than add to it.

And, forgive me for typing such long replies, I just don't know how to do it in a smaller space.

ExtremeGamers

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok crooked i am making a map called crazy zealot tag and um in the beg i want a choser becon to choose b/t Survival(archon tag) or Kill the Zealots (like cat n mouse). So if i have the 1st player choose.... if he goes on survival becon that means that....i would set switch 1???

Then the other trigger would b if switch 1 is set then set timer to 30min(or wutever it gona b) and.... if switch 1 is set & timer runs out end scenrio in defeat...And set victory for zealot players the same ....

For survival it would b easy... if brought to becon then set switch 2.... IF switch 2 is set & zealot players command at least 0 zealots then end scenario in defeat(and same for runners)

This sounds all good but i think it has some fualts can you help me if i made any...? i wont start makin this option until u respond.

But my question is can i keep it toggled or do i ever have to clear the switch?
By the way ty for all ur help!

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
That is a good site Wing_0.

The rest is a little wordy, and a little more detail than I should have gone into, but once I got started, I couldn't stop.

ExtremeGamers, I'm familiar with the cat & mouse game, but not zealot tag, but I think I have a feel for what your trying to do, and I think your on the right track.

First, I always recomend using a chooser, that will not be used in any other part of the game, it avoids possible problems that I wont go into, to save space at this time.
Also, rename locations, and switches to match their intended use, it helps keep things straight.

The first part sounds ok...
All Players
CONDITION:
Player 1 brings exactly 1 Terran Civilian to location 1 (which you could rename to "Survival Mode")
ACTION:
Set Switch 1
Kill all Terran Cicilians for player 1
Remove all Beacons for player 1

Second part if I understand you right...
Force 1
CONDITION:
Switch 1 is Set
ACTION:
Create # of ?? units for Current player
Set Switch 3 (This one should explain itself later)
Set countdown timer to 1800 game seconds ( I think is how that one goes)
Wait 1,800,000 milliseconds
End game in Defeat for current player.

Force 2
Condition:
Switch 1 is set
ACTION:
Set countdown timer to 1800 game seconds
Wait 1,800,000 milliseconds
End game in Victory for current player.

This should make a 30 minate game, but depending on the game speed, the timer may be off one way or the other, I think it clocks accurate at Fast, but few prefer that speed it seems.

If I understand the Kill setting for the game...

All Players
CONDITION:
Player 1 brings exactly 1 Terran Civilian to location 2 (which you could rename to "Kill Mode")
ACTION:
Set Switch 2
Set Switch 3
Kill all Terran Cicilians for player 1
Remove all Beacons for player 1

Force 1
CONDITION:
Switch 2 is Set
ACTION:
Set Switch 3 (This one should explain itself later)

Force 2
CONDITION:
Switch 2 is Set
ACTION:

The last 4 triggers would be possible Victory and Defeat settings.

Force 1
CONDITION:
Switch 3 is Set
Force 2 commands exactly 0 Zealots
ACTION:
End in Victory for Current player

Force 2
CONDITION:
Switch 3 is Set
Force 1 commands exactly 0 Unknown Units
ACTION:
End in Victory for Current player

Force 1
CONDITION:
Switch 3 is Set
Force 1 commands exactly 0 Unknown Units
ACTION:
End in Defeat for Current player

Force 2
CONDITION:
Switch 3 is Set
Force 2 commands exactly 0 Zealots
ACTION:
End in Defeat for Current player

By adding the "Switch 3 is set" it keeps the Victory, and the Defeat from activating too soon.

I hope this helps, if not, I need more details about intended game play. I run most messagers if you want to talk shop sometime.

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
First, you'll need to ZIP it, for attachment.
There is a size limit here, I can't remember how much, like 300K or so.
Click on the "Post Reply" button lower right of this thread.
That takes you to the edit thread page, you can attach to a new reply there.

Be sure to say what the problem is, so that a person can know what to look for, and how to help best.

not-so-serious sam

Reaction score
Yo i wanna make a defense map and i don't no how to make stack or money for kills. how do i do dat?
o and i need help with making units new colors like black or tan. n e of u no how to do that? thnx a lot guys.

tassadar920

Member!
Reaction score
not-so-serious sam, can you make your own thread for this and not use others? Also, pzl explain what you want a lil better i didn't really udnerstand what you wanted.

Ok i think crooked was having fun explaining this all but here's my real short real brief explanation:

1. How to create a hero unit after making a norm unit:

Player A
---
Player A brings 1 UNIT to anywhere
---
center location "transform unit" on UNIT at anywhere
wait 1
remove 1 UNIT at "transform unit"
wait 1
create 1 HERO UNIT at "transform unit
preserve

2. Switches

Switches are like lights, they can be on or off, here's an example:

Switch A is cleared
---
make 10 units
set switch A
preserve

whenever switch A is cleared, itw ill make 10 units, then it will set itself and stop. So, if a unit walked onto a beacon that had the trigger:

player A brings UNIt to location "clear switch A"
---
clear switch A
preserve

then it would make 10 units, as long as your on the beacon, it will continue this pattern.

3. The reason the host crashes it:

if there is a building somewhere partially off the map, and the host looks at it (for e.g., if the host start location is near a bunker that is partially off the map) then it will crash the game instantly.

this is most likely the reason, if not, post the map so we can see it.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Colors SCM toolkit or GUEdit thats all i know from ur qestion in the future make a therad

tassadar920

Member!
Reaction score
anyone remember that site that had all the colors listed on it? Could be nice if someonre emembered, im trying to finish an rpg and i need to do the colors cool.